PDA

View Full Version : ,50 cal convergence - P47 or P-51

rcocean
09-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Reading a historical document, "Report of Joint Fighter Conference" held in October 1944, and the Air Force Rep says the following:

"In the P-47 with 4 guns in each wing, we recommend the pilots cross the first 2 guns at 250 yards, the next 2 at 350, then 450 and 550. That gives you a density pattern at depth as well as width for about 200 yards, which gives the mediocre pilot a better opportunity to hit an aircraft in flight"

Has anyone tried this?

BrewsterPilot
09-22-2006, 01:36 PM
You can't set individual converge for the guns in-game; thet all follow the same converge point. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

berg417448
09-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Actually, with the P-47 you can set 2 different convergences for the 50 caliber guns. You can set 4 guns at one convergence and the other 4 guns at another by using different convergence settings for cannon and machine guns.

rcocean
09-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by BrewsterPilot:
You can't set individual converge for the guns in-game; thet all follow the same converge point. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Could this be the reason for the complaints about the .50's being "porked"?

This RL convergence pattern is totally different from what we have in the game.

LEBillfish
09-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by rcocean:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrewsterPilot:

Could this be the reason for the complaints about the .50's being "porked"?

This RL convergence pattern is totally different from what we have in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though convergence was dictated by the armed forces they were often set to a pilots preference. Some varied the points as you outlined, others setting them all to a single point........

What probably has most complaining about are their own settings. Think about 200 yards, that's 2 football fields. Get outside and walk 200+ paces.....Now, imagine a plane bouncing all over and trying to hit that distant dot. Well same goes here, except we have some that set their guns to 500 yards I think....I can't even imagine shooting at that range as it takes very skilled marksman to do it from a prone position standing still on the ground.

At that range it's spray and pray.....Hence the lack of spectacular kills. Set your convergence to the range you INSTINCYIVELY shoot and vairy the cannons and MGs by 25-50 yards.....Most likely if you're focussed it will be under 200m.........Then see how porked they are http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

F6_Ace
09-22-2006, 02:51 PM
150-300m was probably realistic. But 600m is possible, in game, to take out 190s etc

p1ngu666
09-22-2006, 02:55 PM
200metres and 350 gives a nice area spread.

convergance is also about the vertical element. theres sweetspots in convergance for various planes, its just a matter of "feel" really

tigertalon
09-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Exactly what Fish said. I'm using different convergence on P47 for different targets: for groundpounding and bomber interceptions I set them to 200 and 300m, while for fighters I set them at 125 and 175 meters. I even experimented with 100m on P51. Keeping in mind in this planes you will be most likely faster than your opponents (at least you should be), you should be able to get close to your target before opening fire.

VW-IceFire
09-22-2006, 03:02 PM
On the other hand...if you set convergence to 175m or 150 meters your deflection shooting sucks. I prefer to deflection shoot and I've set my convergence at 250-260 which gives a slight spread between the two. I find this is effective for me...as I find I do more damage in deflection shots with .50cals (you get to rake the engine, cockpit, and fuel tanks with most of your guns from above or below) than from behind.

But it really depends on what you're doing.

People still fire from far too far away with the .50cals and are such poor shots that it doesn't matter how good the .50cal is.

slappedsilly
09-22-2006, 04:17 PM
I've had much better results in the p47 with conv. set closer to 300 meters. It allows me to take advantage of the extra ammo setting and continously fire through my entire pass. On head on passes, the enemy passes through my conv. sooner than I do his. I am by no means very good, but my kill ratio has improved in the p47 with these settings. This hasn't helped me in the p51, still figuring that plane out.

general_kalle
09-22-2006, 04:31 PM
i use 500m. both cannons and guns cos u can hit things as far as 500 meter but still hit things nearer while with close converenge u can ONLY hit things near

VW-IceFire
09-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by general_kalle:
i use 500m. both cannons and guns cos u can hit things as far as 500 meter but still hit things nearer while with close converenge u can ONLY hit things near
Depends alot on the plane you fly...if you're only flying German planes than it matters little as the 109 and 190 both mount the majority of their guns along the centerline. Some put their convergence numbers at 1000m in the FW190 and it works just fine when you get used to it.

But try the same thing in the P-47...you can fit entire aircraft in between the machine gun arcs of fire if you set it out at 500m.

tigertalon
09-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by general_kalle:
Depends alot on the plane you fly...if you're only flying German planes than it matters little as the 109 and 190 both mount the majority of their guns along the centerline. Some put their convergence numbers at 1000m in the FW190 and it works just fine when you get used to it.

But try the same thing in the P-47...you can fit entire aircraft in between the machine gun arcs of fire if you set it out at 500m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I use 500m or 1000m on Fw190. It's because vertical, not horisontal convergence. Bullets fly a lot more 'flat' in your sight with long convergence.

carguy_
09-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Machineguns other than UBB do not work well when fired at range longer than 200m.

Point covergence modelled ingame makes the 50cal a sniper`s weapon.

130m works fine form as above that it is unsuable anyway.

Bearcat99
09-23-2006, 07:29 AM
I set convergence for each plane and each mission... in the Mustang because it is such an unstable aircraft I never set my convergence above 225m... usually between 180-220... depending on ifg ti is a B or a D....

In the 47 depending on whether or not I am primarily groundpounding or not I will set convergence to the same setting.... for me seems to work best. The only plane I have a hard time with the 50s on is the 4 gunned ones.... Mustangs in particular. You will find that when the 50s hit they are pretty effective.