PDA

View Full Version : Old joystick and pedals for new computer?

stansdds
03-12-2005, 04:59 PM
I am planning on a new computer, all new, but my current CH Fighterstick and rudder pedal are in great shape. Do those MIDI/Game port - USB converters (Radio Shack sells them) allow the use of old controls on a new computer with nothing but USB ports?

horseback
03-12-2005, 07:05 PM
As I recall, the Radio Shack converter gives you an X/Y/(maybe a Z), a throttle slider and 4 buttons for a CH Combatstick (I sometimes use an old gameport stick as a trim bay). The POV hat and the remaining buttons don't work, but I didn't get all concerned about it, or pursue the issue.

I have no idea how the rudder pedals would work, having made the transition to pedals with the USB version. Most Audigy soundcards come with a gameport, though. You might want to look into that...

cheers

horseback

FoolTrottel
03-12-2005, 07:11 PM
I'll jump on Horse'sback.... Get an Audigy with a traditional Gameport... as for sound and as for performance you'll benefit from it...

Have Fun!

stansdds
03-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, that also circumvents the CPU hit from an on board sound system!

Spectre-63
03-13-2005, 01:48 AM
One other issue to be aware of when using gameport-based sticks under Win2K and WinXP: neither of these OS's recognize the gameport at the traditional IO Port address of 200-201. As a result, you may experience difficulties programming the sticks. Similarly, you may run into problems using a USB>Gameport converter.

The workaround for the old Thrustmaster sticks (FLCS/F22/TQS) was to use a DOS boot disk. Being unfamiliar with the CH Products programming utilities, I don't know whether this would have a similar issue. Something to keep in mind, though.

stansdds
03-13-2005, 05:28 AM
@#%&! Do I really want to upgrade to Win XP? Win 98 doesn't handle the large amounts of RAM required by today's software all that efficiently. New stick and rudders will run around $200. Hmmmm..... Might have to try the Radio Shack converter.

steve_v
03-13-2005, 06:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stansdds:
Might have to try the Radio Shack converter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The success with it has been mixed.

IKP_Hawk
03-13-2005, 07:46 AM
I run my older gameport ch pro pedals though my audigy gameport and also run usb stick and throttle through a cheap belkin 4 port powered usb hub with no problems. I use ch manager for usb devices only. You will also need to install ch gameport drivers for pedals. If you try to run usb stick/throttle (without powered usb hub) through the computers usb ports there is an assignment problem.
Hawky http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif