PDA

View Full Version : Last WWI Navy Vet Dies

Pirschjaeger
04-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Last WWI Navy vet dies in Md. at age 105 Sun Apr 1, 5:22 PM ET

Lloyd Brown, the last known surviving World War I Navy veteran, has died. He was 105.

Brown died Thursday at the Charlotte Hall Veterans Home in St. Mary's County, according to family and the U.S. Naval District in Washington.

His death comes days after the death of the last known surviving American female World War I veteran, Charlotte L. Winters, 109.

The deaths leave three known survivors who served in the Army, and a fourth who lives in Washington state but served in the Canadian army, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Brown was born Oct. 7, 1901, in Lutie, Mo., a small farming town in the Ozarks. His family later moved to Chadwick, Mo. In 1918, 16-year-old Brown lied about his age to join the Navy and was soon on the gun crew on the battleship USS New Hampshire.

"All the young men were going in the service. They were making the headlines, the boys that enlisted," Brown told The (Baltimore) Sun in a 2005 interview. "And all the girls liked someone in uniform."

Brown finished his tour of duty in 1919, took a break for a couple of years, then re-enlisted. He learned to play the cello at a musicians school in Norfolk, Va., and was assigned to an admiral's 10-piece chamber orchestra aboard the USS Seattle.

When Brown ended his military career in 1925, he joined the Washington Fire Department's Engine Company 16, which served the White House and embassies. He had married twice, and had a son and daughter from one marriage and two daughters from the other.

Even after reaching 100, Brown remained independent, living alone in his Charlotte Hall bungalow and driving a golf cart around his neighborhood.

R.I.P

Let's not flame this one guys.

Pirschjaeger
04-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Last WWI Navy vet dies in Md. at age 105 Sun Apr 1, 5:22 PM ET

Lloyd Brown, the last known surviving World War I Navy veteran, has died. He was 105.

Brown died Thursday at the Charlotte Hall Veterans Home in St. Mary's County, according to family and the U.S. Naval District in Washington.

His death comes days after the death of the last known surviving American female World War I veteran, Charlotte L. Winters, 109.

The deaths leave three known survivors who served in the Army, and a fourth who lives in Washington state but served in the Canadian army, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Brown was born Oct. 7, 1901, in Lutie, Mo., a small farming town in the Ozarks. His family later moved to Chadwick, Mo. In 1918, 16-year-old Brown lied about his age to join the Navy and was soon on the gun crew on the battleship USS New Hampshire.

"All the young men were going in the service. They were making the headlines, the boys that enlisted," Brown told The (Baltimore) Sun in a 2005 interview. "And all the girls liked someone in uniform."

Brown finished his tour of duty in 1919, took a break for a couple of years, then re-enlisted. He learned to play the cello at a musicians school in Norfolk, Va., and was assigned to an admiral's 10-piece chamber orchestra aboard the USS Seattle.

When Brown ended his military career in 1925, he joined the Washington Fire Department's Engine Company 16, which served the White House and embassies. He had married twice, and had a son and daughter from one marriage and two daughters from the other.

Even after reaching 100, Brown remained independent, living alone in his Charlotte Hall bungalow and driving a golf cart around his neighborhood.

R.I.P

Let's not flame this one guys.

darkhorizon11
04-02-2007, 10:16 PM
RIP... what a life however! I could only imagine what it must have been like to see that much change in one's life time!

K_Freddie
04-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Amazing stuff - RIP
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Treetop64
04-03-2007, 01:22 AM
!! ~S~ !!

How long will it be now before we read about the last WWII vet? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Breeze147
04-03-2007, 05:53 AM
R.I.P. Charlotte Hall is about 20 miles up the road from where I live now. Probably where I'll end up.

Pirschjaeger
04-03-2007, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:
How long will it be now before we read about the last WWII vet? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm guessing,....in about 25 years.

HotelBushranger
04-03-2007, 07:36 AM
~S~ To a great man.

Plunkertx
04-03-2007, 08:07 AM
How long until we hear when the last WWII vet dies? Probably around 30-40 years from now as a lot of them served when they were 13-14 (acting like they were 17, etc). I personally know of 3 here in Texas that are still flying their own Cessnas. They are in great shape. Plus, don't forget that every 10 years, life expectancy adds another 5 years or so.

A few years ago, the last surving AMERICAN CIVIL WAR widow passed away. How? She married him when he was like 80 years oldhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif