PDA

View Full Version : Tales from online: Fun on VFC coop

Jumoschwanz
11-30-2004, 09:47 AM
I flew a VFC coop last night and had a bit of fun.

It was Ki-84s and A6M5s against F4Us and Hellcats.
I grabbed the first Ki-84 and took off. Unfortunately behind me there was some confusion. Some of my teamates had a ground collision, and it was some time before anyone else got off the ground. I set my course to the AI voice coming over the radio. This took me on an intercept course to the other team. I climbed steadily and kept an eye out for oncoming opponents.
After a while I started to worry becuase I did not spot the enemy and I thought I might have passed them. I am sure this was the norm in WWII also though right? External views were enabled and sure enough, I saw that the enemy craft was now by the island I had earlier taken off from. So I looked at my compass, turned 180 degrees and it was just a few minutes and I saw dots up ahead at my altitude, which was by this time 6000 meters.

I flew by three Corsairs up there and watched as they tried to follow me and reel me in. I decided that this high alt was not a good place to take on three Corsairs. I could see many tracers far below around some clouds, so I got the heck out of there and dove down to see what I could do.
Now I was at low alt, between 1000 and 2000 meters approaching a cloud formation. There were still lots of tracers all over. Quickly I saw many dots and one plane firing on another. Whenever I see this on a no-icon/cockpit-on server I dive to get on the tail of the plane that is firing. If it is a friendly I cover him, if it is an enemy I shoot him off. Simple.

Well it turned out to be a Hellcat firing on somebody, so I set it up and made a pretty decent pass and deflection shot. The Ki-84a is not going to down a Hellcat too often in one quick pass, but I hit the Hellcat and it rolled off the tail of it's prey, so I figured I did some good.
My pass was fast enough that I was not going to turn with the Hellcat, so I did not try, I kept a fairly straight path and smoothly pulled back up trying to preserve my E. Now I am seeing a couple of Corsairs and another Hellcat all around me swooping around the cloud formation, and I figure it is just a matter of time for me.
I latch onto the tail of another Hellcat and score some more hits right before we both fly into a cloud. Going through the clouds there are tracers going by my cockpit so I split and dive and turn. I have a couple of Corsairs and god knows what else sizing me up for supper. I dodge them a few times but one dodge puts me in the way of the next, and a Corsair hits my wing and flames shoot out of it. I think I am cooked and immediately hit the bail button.
I wish I had not becuase as soon as I hit the button to bail the fire goes out! Rats! Nothing I can do now, but if I hadn't bailed I might have been able to dodge once more and kamikaze a hit on one last opponent. Maybe we need an un-bail switch? I told all I had had fun and called it a night. It was late and I was bushed.
I would have prefered to fly on a server with no exteral views but I could see they were enabled before I went on and if you don't like the settings you join a different server right?
There were the usual organizational problems and we had to re-start the server once but that is normal and to be expected on coop servers. It is a big project to get everyone off the ground in one piece. In WWII very often not every plane that was supposed to fly a mission got off the ground, or had to abort for one reason or another.
There is usually no hope of a coop team being organized to any extent unless they are all on a squad and have practised together. I have never been on a squad and don't have a lot of practice holding formations and stuff like that. So I just do the best I can and try to have fun. If you don't have fun then it is time to quit trying to change everyone else's server, and reach in and change the way you see the server. Or go start your own.

VFC coops. Lots of experience there behind them. As good as any out there. Give it a try,S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
11-30-2004, 09:47 AM
I flew a VFC coop last night and had a bit of fun.

It was Ki-84s and A6M5s against F4Us and Hellcats.
I grabbed the first Ki-84 and took off. Unfortunately behind me there was some confusion. Some of my teamates had a ground collision, and it was some time before anyone else got off the ground. I set my course to the AI voice coming over the radio. This took me on an intercept course to the other team. I climbed steadily and kept an eye out for oncoming opponents.
After a while I started to worry becuase I did not spot the enemy and I thought I might have passed them. I am sure this was the norm in WWII also though right? External views were enabled and sure enough, I saw that the enemy craft was now by the island I had earlier taken off from. So I looked at my compass, turned 180 degrees and it was just a few minutes and I saw dots up ahead at my altitude, which was by this time 6000 meters.

I flew by three Corsairs up there and watched as they tried to follow me and reel me in. I decided that this high alt was not a good place to take on three Corsairs. I could see many tracers far below around some clouds, so I got the heck out of there and dove down to see what I could do.
Now I was at low alt, between 1000 and 2000 meters approaching a cloud formation. There were still lots of tracers all over. Quickly I saw many dots and one plane firing on another. Whenever I see this on a no-icon/cockpit-on server I dive to get on the tail of the plane that is firing. If it is a friendly I cover him, if it is an enemy I shoot him off. Simple.

Well it turned out to be a Hellcat firing on somebody, so I set it up and made a pretty decent pass and deflection shot. The Ki-84a is not going to down a Hellcat too often in one quick pass, but I hit the Hellcat and it rolled off the tail of it's prey, so I figured I did some good.
My pass was fast enough that I was not going to turn with the Hellcat, so I did not try, I kept a fairly straight path and smoothly pulled back up trying to preserve my E. Now I am seeing a couple of Corsairs and another Hellcat all around me swooping around the cloud formation, and I figure it is just a matter of time for me.
I latch onto the tail of another Hellcat and score some more hits right before we both fly into a cloud. Going through the clouds there are tracers going by my cockpit so I split and dive and turn. I have a couple of Corsairs and god knows what else sizing me up for supper. I dodge them a few times but one dodge puts me in the way of the next, and a Corsair hits my wing and flames shoot out of it. I think I am cooked and immediately hit the bail button.
I wish I had not becuase as soon as I hit the button to bail the fire goes out! Rats! Nothing I can do now, but if I hadn't bailed I might have been able to dodge once more and kamikaze a hit on one last opponent. Maybe we need an un-bail switch? I told all I had had fun and called it a night. It was late and I was bushed.
I would have prefered to fly on a server with no exteral views but I could see they were enabled before I went on and if you don't like the settings you join a different server right?
There were the usual organizational problems and we had to re-start the server once but that is normal and to be expected on coop servers. It is a big project to get everyone off the ground in one piece. In WWII very often not every plane that was supposed to fly a mission got off the ground, or had to abort for one reason or another.
There is usually no hope of a coop team being organized to any extent unless they are all on a squad and have practised together. I have never been on a squad and don't have a lot of practice holding formations and stuff like that. So I just do the best I can and try to have fun. If you don't have fun then it is time to quit trying to change everyone else's server, and reach in and change the way you see the server. Or go start your own.

VFC coops. Lots of experience there behind them. As good as any out there. Give it a try,S!

Jumoschwanz

Kasdeya
11-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Yea VFC Coops are great. I missed 'em the last couple of days, hopefully I get back to em.

BTW The fire always goes out when you bail, no matter what plane your in. Mustangs do the same, but it really depends on the fire. If its really bad it stays lit, if not, it goes out when you bail.

georgeo76
11-30-2004, 12:36 PM
That was a good mission. I was in one of those corsairs. Took off the carrier and climbed. I dove on a Frank and gave him a good rake, but I left it to my team to finish him, preserving my E. After that I dived on another boggie, but he broke hard, so I aborted the attack. About that time I notice a Frank fly near me so I turned into him. He climbed away from me and a couple of my teammates. (I think that was you Jumo, cuz I was surprised to see an enemy w/ a smash advantage.)

Somehow I got mixed up w/ a Zero. I did a shallow dive w/ some rolling jinks until I was safely out of gun range. No sooner did I turn to re-engage did I notice he had 2 helpers in the chance. Not knowing if they were franks or not I called for help and Koro dove in on the lead guy, dispatching him and forcing the others to break. I spent the rest of the mission hunting for a dwindling supply of enemys. I discovered a zero w/o a dancing partner and took his wing off..

After that I headed home. I was the first on my team to trap and I watched as the rest of my team came in. Koro caught the trap, then several AI, followed by the last surviving human player who bounced into the island and exploded.

VFC*Host runs the best coops on HL. More ppl, better ping, superior missions.