PDA

View Full Version : Patch v1.2 Official Protractor and Weather....

AnalysisMan
04-06-2005, 05:53 AM
IMO the official protractor tool supplied in the patch version 1.2 is really a half-assed effort on Ubi's side.
The modded tools at Subsim (http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=264649)
is MUCH better. Come on Ubi - what is this?
The other thing I found was my saved game from last night was saved in a 7 mps wind. The game reckons it's a storm so naturally I can't man any guns.
The patch aparently fixes some weather issues? Well, upon installing and relaoding my game, my deck gun and flak icon is still not man-able, even greyed-out on the interface buttons on the left...
No water ever touches that deck gun - I looked!

AnalysisMan
04-06-2005, 05:53 AM
IMO the official protractor tool supplied in the patch version 1.2 is really a half-assed effort on Ubi's side.
The modded tools at Subsim (http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=264649)
is MUCH better. Come on Ubi - what is this?
The other thing I found was my saved game from last night was saved in a 7 mps wind. The game reckons it's a storm so naturally I can't man any guns.
The patch aparently fixes some weather issues? Well, upon installing and relaoding my game, my deck gun and flak icon is still not man-able, even greyed-out on the interface buttons on the left...
No water ever touches that deck gun - I looked!

JG11_BobCat
04-06-2005, 06:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> version 1.2 is really a half-assed effort on Ubi's side <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that really is going to get the guys at UBI swing into action. you know that humans work there right?

BobCat

Meatba11
04-06-2005, 07:06 AM
You're probably haven't used the protractor to its fullest extent if you don't like it. Do you just use it as a glorified line tool (clicking 2 points) which shows the angle? If you click with it at 3 points it will show the angle between the two lines. This is great for quickly calculating AOB and for making right angles on a ship's course for perfect firing positions. I love the new protractor.

quillan
04-06-2005, 07:38 AM
I still prefer the Subsim tools, but the new protractor is useful for some things the modded tools can't do. Meatball mentioned the same uses for it I've found. I'm going to try and see if I can add the crosshairs to it, though.

Unikhorne
04-06-2005, 08:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The other thing I found was my saved game from last night was saved in a 7 mps wind. The game reckons it's a storm so naturally I can't man any guns. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think i read that you have to go back to port before the patch will affect your campagne.

scoped_thunder
04-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Yup I like the protractor, very handy for complex AOB calculations and course to steer! so whats the problem? it isnt a joke its bloody useful! show some gratitude that they answered the community request...

The protractor isnt anymore than it should be, its simple and effective...

AnalysisMan
04-06-2005, 08:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You're probably haven't used the protractor to its fullest extent if you don't like it. Do you just use it as a glorified line tool (clicking 2 points) which shows the angle? If you click with it at 3 points it will show the angle between the two lines. This is great for quickly calculating AOB and for making right angles on a ship's course for perfect firing positions. I love the new protractor. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aaah..click more than once...didn't realise that at all. I think I should play on a more difficult setting.
Sincere apologies to the guys at Ubi and the devs. I'll pick up my toys now.

Thanks MeatBa11

scoped_thunder
04-06-2005, 08:52 AM
lol mate easy mistake to make, I wondered that at first! I just carried on clicking till it did something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

dizeee
04-06-2005, 09:31 AM
hmm ok that aob help realy got my warmest welcome, but tbh i dont know how to plot a exact bearing of a visual/hydro contact, since i dont know my precise course.

Jim0322
04-06-2005, 09:48 AM
In my opinion, water washing over the deck has nothing to do with whether or not you should be able to use the deck gun. The deck guns are not small rapidly adjustable weapons. They would not compensate well for the motion of the waves. Just look through your periscope and watch how much movement occurs of the sight unless the sea is calm. Frankly, I think you would need very calm waters to be able to effectively aim that deck gun.

My 2c,
Jim

AnalysisMan
04-06-2005, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In my opinion, water washing over the deck has nothing to do with whether or not you should be able to use the deck gun. The deck guns are not small rapidly adjustable weapons. They would not compensate well for the motion of the waves. Just look through your periscope and watch how much movement occurs of the sight unless the sea is calm. Frankly, I think you would need very calm waters to be able to effectively aim that deck gun. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you - and there is an effect on range if the sub is going up and down. You can man the guns in a 5 mps wind in the game. And then where you land that shell does vary with the waves beneath you're sub.
However, after cripling a C2 with a slightly off torp at a meter under the hull, I don't want to waste another one to sink it. So if I'm 700 meters from him, I think that I can hit him with the gun, even if there is a 7 to 10 mps wind directly across me.
The bridge's of these big ships are so huge that you can be out with about 50 meters with you're gun's elevation in terms of range.
I've had several instances where I'm not sure about the distance after the target has done some manuevering - and then I hit the top of it's bridge, which stick out some 10 to 15 meters from the waterline (for the smaller vessels). So I then adjust my gun's elevation to less 20 meters or so, and I hit it's cargo ondeck. A 20 meter range difference is only about 5 or 10 meters in actual height above waterline. See how many vessel's bridges are the same or close to it's mast height. And then we are talking about 20 meters for the bigger ones.

As I understand it, they didn't man the guns in a storm because the guys got washed away...that's fine and understandable - and even if the game allowed me to man then, I won't in such conditions.
But, the watch crew is standing next to the flak gun on the VII subs. Why can't they man it?
And the deck gun should be my prorogative - if I think I can hit a target with it given the swells on the sub and the spray in front of the sight, then let me try.

Anyway, I'll see if it's been changed after I get to port and start the next patrol. I'm not going to load my before mission in base save as I've had a good run-in with a DD and we swapped a few shells at 6km apart (it was really nice weather). Had to torp him though in the end. BTW - Dunno if you noticed, but the C class DDs can't put down depth-charges...they don't have the racks at the back http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif