PDA

View Full Version : Sorf of a little help needed on starting Dedicated server.

Flight_boy1990
01-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Hi everyone,

i'm trying to run up an Dedicated server of my clan on the HL.
I have everything setted up right:
-IL-2 Dedicated server 4.08m
-IL-2 SC is pointed directly to the server's il2server.exe
-Made another HL account specially for the server.
-I can start up the server,but...
I cannot start it in HL,simply because i cannot make another instalation of the HL,and to point it into the "dummy" il2fb.exe of the server...When i try to install another HL,on some of my other hard drives,it always finds my stock HL instal folder,and instals the new HL in the old instal,as an update;it's not even giving me a chance to change the instal path.
So my question is how can i point the thing to the dummy il2fb.exe?
Where's the file in HL instal folder,where the patch to the il2fb.exe is written,so i can edit this and point it to the server's il2fb.exe?

Any help is appreciated.
Thx for the reply's,
S!I/JG54_Gringo

Flight_boy1990
01-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Hi everyone,

i'm trying to run up an Dedicated server of my clan on the HL.
I have everything setted up right:
-IL-2 Dedicated server 4.08m
-IL-2 SC is pointed directly to the server's il2server.exe
-Made another HL account specially for the server.
-I can start up the server,but...
I cannot start it in HL,simply because i cannot make another instalation of the HL,and to point it into the "dummy" il2fb.exe of the server...When i try to install another HL,on some of my other hard drives,it always finds my stock HL instal folder,and instals the new HL in the old instal,as an update;it's not even giving me a chance to change the instal path.
So my question is how can i point the thing to the dummy il2fb.exe?
Where's the file in HL instal folder,where the patch to the il2fb.exe is written,so i can edit this and point it to the server's il2fb.exe?

Any help is appreciated.
Thx for the reply's,
S!I/JG54_Gringo

STENKA_69.GIAP
01-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Normaly you set up a dedicated server on a separate computer from the one that you use to play IL2 with. This will have its own installation of Hyperlobby.

If you want to use your gaming machine to run the server you will need to repoint HL to the right executable each time you want to change between flying yourself and leaving a dedicated server running.

I run two squad servers and to be honest I don't need the hassle of a dedicated server installation.

For general purpose squad flying with a 32 player dogfight or co-op I use a standard 4.08 or 4.09beta IL2 installation running on a home ADSL line with 700kbs upspeed. I simply change the resolution to 800x600 windowed and set graphics to poor. This makes sure graphics performance does not slow the server down.

For inter squad matches with 64 player co-ops or 64 player dogfights you need more bandwidth.
For that we have our server in a commercial datacentre with a 10Mbit upspeed data line. This uses an IL2 installation (not dedicated server software) with reduced resolution, windowed and graphics set to poor.

Flight_boy1990
01-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Thx for the reply Stenka,
i wanted first to try how the dedicated server will run on my PC,before passing on the IL-2 SC to the other PC.

So anyway,you said that you're running 2 of your clan servers without Dedicated Server software,then how you're switching between the maps without stopping the server???

STENKA_69.GIAP
01-30-2009, 05:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flight_boy1990:
Thx for the reply Stenka,
i wanted first to try how the dedicated server will run on my PC,before passing on the IL-2 SC to the other PC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it's just a test repoint your hyperlobby at the executable in the dedicated server (ctrl+shift connect at login screen then search)
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
So anyway,you said that you're running 2 of your clan servers without Dedicated Server software,then how you're switching between the maps without stopping the server??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I keep everything simple. When I want to change a map I stop the server and restart with a new map.

However, If I remember right you can run scripts via the console ingame. I think it's ctrl+ tab to open the console then you could load a file and run a script. Try that, the syntax is poorly documented, so I think you need to use the help [function].

Flight_boy1990
01-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Ok,thanks for the help Stenka.Will help a lot.
S!