PDA

View Full Version : A question about P-51 vertical performance

Wildnoob
06-29-2008, 11:40 AM
hi folks !

I get a surprise when I know the FW-190, at least from A series, don't have a good climb rate. I usually thougth that doe to the powerful engine it could climb very fast.

so, I would like to know about the P-51. if someone can give me a data would be perfect. at least by my online experience I think it's behavior in vertical combat is quiet good.

anyway, would like to know the opinion from other pilot's.

Wildnoob
06-29-2008, 11:40 AM
hi folks !

I get a surprise when I know the FW-190, at least from A series, don't have a good climb rate. I usually thougth that doe to the powerful engine it could climb very fast.

so, I would like to know about the P-51. if someone can give me a data would be perfect. at least by my online experience I think it's behavior in vertical combat is quiet good.

anyway, would like to know the opinion from other pilot's.

TinyTim
06-29-2008, 11:44 AM
More than sustained climb you need zoom climb when fighting vertically.

P-51 zooms incredibly well, however it's just an average sustained climber (depends heavily on the amount of fuel).

Wildnoob
06-29-2008, 11:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TinyTim:
however it's just an average sustained climber </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's wat I thougth.

it's a aircraft with very similary fligth characteristics with the FW-190. really, couldn't be very different.

thanks for your reply !

stalkervision
06-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I fight the p-51 in the 109 with spiral climbing turns. The p-51's laminar flow wing is good for high speed performance but not so good for sustained spiral climbs. Leaves them far behind and below you if done right. Then you can exit the battlefield with a high speed dash to altitude. Give it a try in the fw-190 using combat flaps and see what happens. You might also want to try a vertical rolling scissors since the 190 rolls better then anything in the game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif This is probably the very best defense/offense option for the Fw-190 pilot with the p-51.
Unless you get a head-on shot at them with all that fw-190 firepower. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Xiolablu3
06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
When the FW190 was first brought into service in 1941, it was a very very good climber at low-mid alt. It could outclimb what was probably the 2nd best climbing Fighter in the world after the Bf109 at that time in the Spitfire V.

However I gather that the BMW engine was not upgraded like the RR Merlin and Daimler Benz 600 series were. I dont know the details, but by 1943 both the SPitfire IX and Bf109G2 and even the G6 were outclimbing FW190A's easily. Possibly even high boost SPitfire V's too by this time.

The FW190 was quite a bit heavier than these fighters, so that didnt help either.

By 1944 the FW190A was easily outclimbed by Spitfire VIII/IX/XIV's and MW50 Bf109's...

Report from JG 11 on 29th [October 1944] on mock air battle between Fw 190A-9 and Bf 109 AS/MW 50.

A Schwarm of Me 109 at 8,000 metres climbed up to attack a Rotte of Fw 190 at 10,000 metres. On the turn with 1.1 boost, the Me 109 Schwarm out climbed the Fw 190 Rotte by about 200 metres and at the same time without fully opened throttles and not flying flat out, they out turned the Fw 190 Rotte.

First attack was from above and behind with 1.1 boost and flaps retracted and a normal steep turn without opening to maximum possible speed, the Fw 190A-9 was easily overtaken and out turned.

Second attack from behind and below on the number one of the Rotte, aircraft was easily overtaken, out turned and outstripped in the inside turn.

On full throttle it is easily possible to out climb the A-9 without losing position since speed can be reduced by throttling back and doing very tight turns.

Maybe Kettenhunde can explain why the BMW lagged behind the Merlin and DB60X??