PDA

View Full Version : MOVIE'S OUT! Official discussion thread [likely spoilers]

UbiGabe
12-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Hey y'all... so, I just got out of the dev team Avatar screening and felt compelled to open up a thread.

Wow... just, I dunno, I mean I have been working on the game for awhile now, but none of it prepared me. And, to be fair, I cry at the end of The Iron Giant so keep that in mind when I say that I don't really understand how you can be expected to watch a movie in 3D when you are fighting back tears for a good half of the movie, hehe.

Anyways, lets hear what you guys have to say! Favorite scene? Favorite line? GO GO GO!

HeadShotGoneBad
12-18-2009, 06:43 PM
I watched the midnight showing last night, and I'd have to say "Avatar" was the best movie I've seen in a long time. Even better than "The Dark Knight" in my opinion. I went in not knowing what to expect, since I've honestly not been following this movie.

I can also say that this is a very good indication as to the visual quality of the "Halo" movie, since Peter Jackson's WETA studio did the effects for "Avatar".

It's actually made me interested in playing the game, too.

tonicmole
12-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Just got home from seeing it and it is certainly the best movie I've seen......maybe ever. I'm still processing. It really puts the game in better perspective. Though technically it does rule out the games story from being cannon. Because of Ubi I was an Avatar expert before ever seeing the movie. Very cool.

Apasas
12-19-2009, 02:31 PM
I absolutely loved the movie. It is definately one of the best movies I have ever seen. I would definately watch it in 3D as it is so immersive. You actually feel you are in the story. This also a movie for the cinema, although I will almost certainly get the blue ray DVD when it come out.

zedex26
12-19-2009, 08:42 PM
it was awesome!

saw it in 3D... just the geeky glasses over my own glasses are a bit uncomfortable *same story for HP Order of the Phoenix *crap movie btw* and Polar Express on IMAX, but they had better "glasses" which are more like goggles*

other than that, effects were beautiful...

oh one downside... the story was VERY predictable... I SO saw how it will turn out...

Apasas
12-20-2009, 04:45 AM
I didn't have a problem with the predicability of the story. It ended the way I wanted to end. And it didn't have any silly, extreme or unpleasant surprises.

UbiGabe
12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Predictability didn't really factor into my enjoyment of the film, I must admit. For me, it was more about seeing how these events played out and looking at what Cameron chose to highlight and how he conveyed the core concepts... Really, it's a very old story, but like any great storyteller, it's not the content as much as it is the skill with which it is delivered.

I saw it again over the weekend with my wife and I was every bit as enthralled... totally stands up to repeat viewing, hooray!

ZealotX2009
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
I completely understand what tonicmole said. That's basically how I felt leaving the movie. I was trying to think of a better movie and that includes the Star Wars franchise. And hours after the movie I was "still processing". It was actually sad for me when the movie ended because I wouldn't get to see Pandora for awhile. The world was so amazing and well done that it actually made you want to live there.

I agree that there was a degree of predictability but at the same time it ended the way I wanted it do. I was like... okay these are the Indians and these are the Colonists. And this was basically a retelling of American history. But this time it turned out how I would have wanted it to.

When I came home I described the Navi to my wife as "aliens" but in reality, in the movie, the humans were the aliens and the Navi were "the people". I think that word, "alien" is so relative. It just means you don't know them. Many of the humans in the movie were a play on this sort of ignorance of the unknown. And in that ignorance you tend to see "aliens" as being uncivilized savages when you don't understand their civilization and their culture. The Navi were far more civilized and cultured than the humans. That's how I've always felt about those who the Europeans came into contact with. And through brute force a lot of the culture and sanctity of life and connection with nature has been lost. As the lead character said, "They've killed their mother".

For me it was an amazing movie with an amazing message and it left me wanting more. So I'll probably get the game and check out Pandorapedia. Highly recommend watching and owning this movie.

Keeper_of_Navi
12-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Saw the movie for the first time yesterday...now James Cameron has always been one of (if not) my favorite directors ever (Huge Terminator and Aliens fan) but Avatar not only solidified for me his spot as my favorite Director ever, but Avatar is my favorite movie of all time, I can say that without any qualms or maybe's, its a masterpiece of film making, I already have the soundtrack, I intend to get the game and see it a couple more times before it leaves theaters, and I will most definitely own it on Blu-Ray (very fitting color don't you think?)

All in all, I would highly recommend this movie, it doesn't matter if you see it in 3D or just in the Cinema, you have to see this movie and its message at least once

CheezeThief
12-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Saw the movie last Friday and it kept me entertained. Predictable as anything but its spun its yarn well with judicious use of explosions, tears, 3D and Quarich. I don't get where the reviewers and such got the idea that it was about environmental protection rather than colonialism, maybe I just suck at reading between the lines. The 3D and the CGI however were very impressive.

The thing that impressed me most in this movie is how the Na'vi didn't effortlessly defeat the RDA, but rather got completely, utterly and totally owned by superior technology and a cavalry charge against machine guns ended as it should, at least before the deus ex machina kicked in anyway. Personally I think the RDA could have gone a little more British Empire on the natives, but the the movie did a very good job of not having me side with the Humans by default.

I was mildly disappointed that it didn't say anything about Ryder to be honest. I wanted to find out which was the 'cannon' story in the game. I'm assuming its the RDA story since I don't think the RDA would suffer 40% of their avatars going rogue on them without adding in a few killswitches by the time the movie rolled round. Of course I just wanted the sky people giving Ewah the two fingered salute to be the cannon one so meh.

Pleased I got the game first though, mainly thanks to the pandrapedia included so I had at least a clue on why the RDA were actually mining the floaty rock.

Apasas
12-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Yes the Na'vi did get hammered, especially on the ground.

Tatically it was a draw after Eywa intervened. But strategically it was a Na'vi victory.

It is important not to underestimate the human contribution to the RDA defeat. Sully used advances weapons in the end to stop the RDA attack.

On the other hand, if Jack and Neytiri have children, they may may dilute the Na'vi with human DNI, and possibly all the vises that come with it. Now that is a frightening thought.

Karmag55
12-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Haha yeah, just watched the movie last night. I agree, it's quite predictable, but the plot still managed to be well done.

I still feel that the RDA should have just dropped a couple dozen large asteroids on Pandora--Wipe out all life within 6-8 months, then come in and scoop up whatever ya want :P

Still, VERY well done in 3-d, although the game sounds like its not so fun...

My sister and I (We both like Avatar the movie) were thinking that the Avatar storyline and universe would do very well, if incorporated into a World of Warcraft-clone.

Ok, maybe thats just me being a WoW nerd, but it seems like it would work for me.

G'day yall.