PDA

View Full Version : A Thing of Beauty

Treetop64
12-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Just recognizing that the IL-2 series, despite many of it's initial technical quirks, is a very well-programmed and optimized piece of kit.

I run PF-FB-AEP with 800 x 600 res, 6X anti-aliasing, highest texture quality, minimal mip-mapping (with hardly any noticable difference versus maximum mip-mapping), and all other visual options maxed-out, except the "Perfect" option for landscape quality. The game runs absolutely flawlessly! Framerates are creamy-silky-smooth, 100% percent of the time, no matter how much of a commotion is going on in it's virtual world! Simply watching the demonstrations is wonderful enough.

I tell you, man: the IL-2 series is a thing of beauty.

ElAurens
12-22-2004, 09:22 PM
At that minimal resolution there is no way to tell just how beautiful it really is. Try it at 1152 X 864 or higher, then tell me what you think of it.

heywooood
12-22-2004, 09:28 PM
What El said...Treetop...your not even getting 1/4 of the beauty of it at that res.

Treetop64
12-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Yes, it most definitely looks better at higher resolutions, but runs just that little bit slower. I don't have one of those bad-*** nuclear powered high-end systems, so I make sacrafices.

For personal preferences, I run at low res with a lot of anti-aliasing, and the resulting smoothness is just unbelievable.

I love this game!