PDA

View Full Version : What makes R6 R6 to you?

bdr41
03-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Obviously we are all here because we hold the Rainbow Six franchise in high regard, even if things haven't been all rosy lately. Of course there are a lot of high hopes/fears around here with a new Rainbow Six title just over the horizon.

With that in mind, what makes Rainbow Six special to you? What are the most important features that made R6 standout from the rest of the offerings on the market?

To me, major features of R6 are/were:
1) Small team-based tactics.
2) Control over multiple teams (from load-out to carrying out the missions) and the interactions between these teams.
3) A wide variety of planning and control options over the teams.
4) A sense of realism and danger. Knowing that around every corner there could be someone who might drop you with a single bullet with a lucky/skilled shot, and knowing you could do the same to him.
5) Wide open maps that allowed for creativity and a variety of strategies and approaches.
6) An epic feel driven in large part by Bill Brown's score.

I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of off hand, but these features are essential to providing me with a satisfying R6 experience.

The scary thing is they are largely gone, and yet I keep hanging around hoping for some sort of revival.

I know Vegas isn't going to provide me with exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm holding out hope it will at least fill some of the void.

Goliath.Ubi.Dev
03-15-2006, 12:26 PM
To me as a player Rainbow Six was always about small squad CQB. That's what i always liked about the game.

kimi_
03-15-2006, 12:53 PM
No jumping

No unrealistically fast player speed a la UT

del130528032037
03-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Allow me to introduce myself. I am also known as Unholy Doom. I have won 3 clanmatch championships on Rainbow 6 3 Black Arrow.

What the new Rainbow six needs is:

A map that is like the older ones because it shows where your teammate died by using an x and that allows you to plan because that aspect gives away your enemies position.

The circullar reticles are a good idea, stick with them. That's where the older rainbow 6's absoulutly beat the newer ones in gameplay.

Change the movements back to the old style. Ya, people get tired of slowwalkers and wall-glitchers, but I'm sure that the designers can find ways around those glitches. Without the movements of Black Arrow and Rogue Spear, one cannot do the moves that have made Rainbow Six so awesome online. Moves that are called the drop-shot, ooptie walking, lean walking, open lean, shake'n bake, and my personal favorite...the secret move that I came up with known as the rampage drop.

If you newb-spray you shouldn't win long-range fire fights, that is why Lockdown and Critical Hour suck so much (in the opinion of Black Arrow fans). You should have to single tap your right trigger rapidly and accurrately to get kills.

If you guys don't know what I'm talking about...then I can show you.

On Rainbow Six 3 I have trained many people who wanted to win clanmatches and those who just didn't want to die all of the time. I say from experience that the Rainbow 6 3 series is going to wipe the floor with any new rainbow six games unless they are put back on track and we don't keep getting Counter-Strike wanna be's! That's what Lockdown and Critical Hour remind me of! They are just like Counter-Strike!!! That's bull if you ask me, Rainbow used to be the game that Halo 2 couldn't even come close to touching. Now I'd rather play Galo 2 then play Lockdown or Critical Hour. Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of getting knife kills, but sucky gameplay and newbs that are just as deadly as the next guy ruins the fun! One of the sayings for Critical Hour was back to the roots. Ok, they must have meantthe story line because if they had really gone back to the roots that game wouldn't suck!!! We don't need gadgets and ranks! We need hardcore action packed firefights and prefire techniches. We need rush zones that you can prefire, and if anyone pops out like a newb you light them up!!!

Defuser
03-17-2006, 09:46 AM
What makes R6 for me is this;

We have innumerable other squad based shooters. What we don't have are ones that take the tactics and planning of an operation seriously. Only Rainbow Six did this (bar Lockdown). What makes Rainbow Six unique, and gives the series a unique selling point, is the tactics involved. Otherwise, it's just another shooter. A good one, no doubt, but just another.

cre8nhavoc
03-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Rainbow Six to me is speechless. There are no words to describe how much Rainbow Six on both pc and console have entertained me day in and day out.

I guess its just situations with the real life weapons and equipment. There weren’t too many shooters out there at the time that gave you the sense of realism as entertainment wrapped up in an FPS.

When I play first person shooters I like to play ones that are as close to reality as possible when it comes to shooting and dying. Rainbow Six has always had that niche I loved and enjoyed. All I can do is bow my head and shed a tear for the glory of another ten years of Rainbow Six to come. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

KungFu_CIA
03-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by MightyLordRay:
Allow me to introduce myself. I am also known as Unholy Doom.

The same "Unholy Doom" who is known as "SoulCollector" and who uses modded XBox to hack in XBox Live?

http://forums.gamebattles.com/showthread.php?t=572205

RoM_Mafia
03-17-2006, 07:19 PM
when i say this i think i speask for the majority but....i think it was the LEAN walk or lean its self being able to be done by pressing the d pad. I personally hate the G.R.A.W. Version, also the people who (Bunny Hops) thats ok let em do it, i mean it wasnt anything special, Lean walkers... they can have it to, why? becuz i kno with the tech of the 360 you guys could make the leaners bigger bullet magnets since they like to go out in the open.
ALSO 4 bar health
NIce guns like the BA set http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif
NO CLASS sets plz this isnt GRAW,but if its on there....dont give them certain advantages, i kinda like playing as one guy and i would want the other guy to have an advantage on me cuz his class.
I kno its vegas but old maps should be brought back like in a dl Pack or sumthin.
also Bring back all guns from black arrow and den some.

Lnin0z2nd
03-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I used to buy the Clancy titles because they were different. Compared to other games Rainbow offered a slower paced, small team tactical, close quarter combat with uncompromised realism.

Now Ubi wants to make a game that appeals to more people. They have taken their original gameplay and morphed it into an 'everyman' shooter. Only there are a ton of companies that do everyman's shooter a ton better so there isn't much reason for people to stick with Ubi.

I imagine that won't change. Ubi appears content to famine in search of that one big feast instead of just going to the cow they know will always put a decent meal on their table.

GR3's record sales will probably only reinforce the 'blockbuster' mentality...even though we all know its success is as much about timing as it is about gameplay.

Raven_BROz
03-18-2006, 05:29 AM
People go down when you shoot them (well, untill raven shield, but thats another issue http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

Spec260
03-18-2006, 10:24 PM
R6 was R6 to me because of the;

Strategy
Small Teams
Simple maps
No respawns
1-3 shots kills
Clan matching*** most favorite!
Not to fast and not to slow, no jumping
A PC game that is ported to console not visa versa

This is based on the original R6 whitch to me is what R6 is and should be.

RoM_Mafia
03-19-2006, 12:39 PM
You kno what ive been hearing all this junk about 3rd person....thats so dumb, im sorry but thats why ghost recon exists http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif how about we stik to 1st person all the way....thats why we have rainbow six.The halo health...yea thats why we have halo... so i say stik to the baysiks instead of making a all around game which didnt work. i agree with Lnin0z2nd when he said "I imagine that won't change. Ubi appears content to famine in search of that one big feast instead of just going to the cow they know will always put a decent meal on their table."

KungFu_CIA
03-19-2006, 01:06 PM
For me, this is a two part question:

1) I like the differences of R6 on the console and PC for various reasons:

A) The console versions because I like a "simplified" version of the R6 experience where I don't have to worry about planning and other aspects and can just jump right in and kill some Tangos, or others online.

B) The PC version when I am in the mood for more in-depth tactical planning and want an experience which is closer to real life with regard to multiple teams and coordinated assaults... Not to mention, non-linear, open maps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

2) For me, the general R6 experience on any platform comes down to a few things which have already been mentioned:

-Realistic locations
-Realistic weapons
-Realistic damage model
-Semi-realistic Squad Tactics
-Great online battles (p vs. p)
-Great CO-OP missions <---Sadly, more games are getting away from this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

However, the real "X-Factor" which makes R6 unique in my view is the tension and suspense which is usually not present in other games... Even horror survial games and shooters like Silent Hill, or Doom III.

The tension of knowing you and your team (both online and AI) can be taken out with just a couple of shots, creeping around a large map like The Met and Mint from Rouge Spear in order to get the upper hand and successfully rescue the hostages (or just wipe out the opposing force) has never been duplicated in any series of games I have played since R6 and its expansions, and I personally think this is what UBI needs to focus on because as has been stated...

There are thousands of squad-based "tactical" shooters out there from The Regiment, to Brothers in Arms, and everything in between, spanning the realms of sci-fi and the real world.

However, none of these shooters is able to provide a player with a genuine sense of suspense and fear for their virtual life like R6 can... Because most of the time the location of the enemy is well-known and it is more of an army/infrantry-type game of open combat compared to R6 which is close quarters and NOT knowing where the last Tango may be hiding... Or even, patrolling in an effort to find you and your team/online friends and wipe YOU out first!

It is this sense of genuine suspense and immersion which needs to come back in my humble opinion in favor of cliched, Hollywoodesque A-List "action movie" storylines and other marketing gimmicks.

NightEagle29
03-19-2006, 04:10 PM
No jumping
1 to 4 shoot kills
up close fighting
Real life guns

Kev5890
03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
What makes R6 R6 to me is:
Maps like Garage and Airport
The insane amount of replayability on xbox live
Camping against 5 guys ( all odds stacked against you) and pull off a win.

I hope vegas is amazing..i miss rainbow

Vipx64
03-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Just think Rainbowsix 3, and Rainbowsix BA with updates graphics. Boom, there is the perfect RB6 Vegas

RoM_Mafia
03-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Vipx64 u read my mind http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Ps: PEC will be the death of VEGAS http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

GamesMasterTA
03-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Professionalism

Leaning around corners/doors

Flash Bangs

Fast Decisive attacks

Going from a situation where you dont know whats in the next room to a swift headshot

del130528032037
03-22-2006, 01:05 PM
I believe that R6 isn't R6 without guts and gore. I would like to see terrorists get their

brains splattered all over the wall. That would be one of the most awesome things to me.

I've served my time in the military, can't I have fun on a game anymore? Just to say Hey,

I'm playing a game that let's me gut a guy that looks like Osama, and ship the intraels to his

momma. That would be sweet! I'll never forget the first time I shot somebody on Black Arrow!

I was so close that I could see the blood spray up into the air into a mist and their

body drop. I was hooked! See, it's all about the realism!

Defuser
03-22-2006, 01:17 PM
They're more than likely shooting (no pun intended) for a 'T' in the American market. So no brains - probably only blood 'mist' and that's it.

del130528032037
03-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Doesn't that bite, defuser? Honestly, they expect us not to mistreat captured people who kill for no legit reason in real life when we can't even mistreat those bastards on a video

game! Man! That makes me want to take it out on a terrorist! If blood mist is all I can get, I'm going to mod so that everytime I shoot somebody it looks like KILL BILL behind the

scenes!!!