PDA

View Full Version : Offline flying poll.....

Bearcat99
02-27-2005, 10:56 PM

csThor
02-27-2005, 11:48 PM
The only thing I'm using is Il2 Mat Manager from AcesHigh2 since I regard a decent representation of the in-game markings a rather drastic improvement in the visual department. I did try Il2 Stab, but I found it quite useless to me since I did already know how to manipulate most settings manually. I can see a newbie using it, though so I don't think it's useless at all (I just don't need it).
I did also try UQMG and DCG, but to be honest I was turned off by their overly complex (complicated) GUI.

What I am missing in offline play is immersion in the way EAW or Red Baron II generated. There we had a GUI that was not as "cold" and sterile as the FB/PF one, we had aces on our own and on the enemy side, we got news reports, films etc ...

GregSM
02-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Aces' Mat program mustn't be forgotten. To my eyes, it's essential.

Cheers,

Greg

Platypus_1.JaVA
02-28-2005, 12:18 AM
I tried voice commands almost two years ago but, I found that you realy need to focus on your voice to get a good pronouncing of the word(s) and that concentration is taking away from the flying itself wich is bad I think. Apart from that, voice commands in a WWII era fighter? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

But, if other people can cope with it, it is a great add-on. I also use the DCG some. And I am a big fan of all the offline campaigns, available for download. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Monson74
02-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Those are all very good programs made by competent people but may I add that this forum is absolutely top-notch (& I'm not joking). People post links to interesting sites about history & all the tech-stuff about planes, people are more than willing to share their knowledge on hardware/software & people are generally nice & easy-going. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Howie A
02-28-2005, 01:39 AM
I've always played and enjoyed the sim offline - I'm plenty challenged. Campaingns are good but I've learned to use and prefer the mission builder, especially altering many in the campaigns for my own taste. The one addition I regret not having is Track IR.

As an aside for this past day or so I've been playing CFS3 with the Korean add-on, I haven't played the sim in almost 2 years. The add-on is well made especially for free and overall the game does has its good points, I'm not a basher of MS products. What I didn't expect is its given me a new appreciation for both sims but having said this, my appreciation for FB/PF is all the more and I'm not sure if I'll continue with CFS3. I can see myself being content making what I want with the hope of eventually getting Track IR, until BoB.

LeadSpitter_
02-28-2005, 02:22 AM
I think offline is very fun, they could use some more commands in the fmb which would make work much quicker, say give one vechile a path then have a close item with same patch or select a group of vechiles and mirror them all keeping the same coords.

Same with making runways look better adding trees trucks buildings fences etc, copying all items and dragging them to another runway items over to another runway.

inserting a new item with same skin markings etc with ins, ability to sink raise or rotate vertically map items.

Howie A
02-28-2005, 02:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
I think offline is very fun, they could use some more commands in the fmb which would make work much quicker, say give one vechile a path then have a close item with same patch or select a group of vechiles and mirror them all keeping the same coords.

Same with making runways look better adding trees trucks buildings fences etc, copying all items and dragging them to another runway items over to another runway.

inserting a new item with same skin markings etc with ins, ability to sink raise or rotate vertically map items. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely agree.

ClnlSandersLite
02-28-2005, 03:39 AM
No dcg????

pacettid
02-28-2005, 04:40 AM
IL2 Mat Manager, first and foremost - Correct markings and aircraft appearance are a must for me and the sim just wouldn't have the immersion it does without it!

Lowengrin's IL2 DCG - a superb product by anyones standard.

Bearcat99
02-28-2005, 05:51 AM
Yes IL2 Mat is good as well.... As I said...there are many others.. I didnt mention it because ...well for one thing I forgot about it and for another I think IL2 Stab also does the same thing as far as the markings go.

Platy..... give VAC a try. I have found that I can almost whisper and the commands go through.... just mute yout mic if you arent flying though as the ambient noise acan do siome wierd stuff.... especially if you ate typing orsomething. Great responses though guys.....

GregSM
02-28-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi Bearcat,

"I think IL2 Stab also does the same thing as far as the markings go."

Look here: http://www.leigh-kemp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MATfiles.htm

It's not the same. The Mat program contains something like tens of thousands of graphic files that correct small oversights and dramatically expand the display of markings.

The program is also more practical now that we can switch off the cache folder flushing. (It used to significantly delay game launch while it wrote its huge bulk of files into the cache folder, only to be flushed away each time the game quit. This is no longer a problem.)

Cheers,

Greg

zetareticulan
02-28-2005, 08:01 AM
The UQMG tutorial c/o Uberdemon is worth its weight in virtual gold. A real shot in the arm, this one. Sensational Stuff to help the offline experience along.

Il2 MAT from all involved at Aces Artwork - it reads like a who's who? of the il2 community. clearcache = zilch. That has to get the oscar for Best Code. A big thanks from a very satisfied customer.

Irfanview!!! Yeaahhhhh!

Getright!!! Whooooooo!!!!!

Photoshop!!! ThreeEE Cheeessrrrrrs!!!! HIP! HIP!

O.k. that's enough.

Flying_Nutcase
02-28-2005, 08:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Shift_E's Quick Mission Tuner is also another Gem...... It does what it's title says... it allows you to tune up QMs made in the QMB.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree totally. This is a cool utility. But I think you'll find that it works with missions made in the Full Mission Builder only, NOT the Quick Mission Builder.

I wrote a step-by-step tutorial for anyone who hasn't used it before. It's linked from Shift_E's site:
Shift_E's Quick Mission Tuner site (http://mysite.verizon.net/res19wz2/QMT/qmt.htm)

S!

Nutcase

han freak solo
02-28-2005, 12:30 PM
I haven't tried any of the poll items. Maybe someday. I think this game is very involving and plenty challenging for the offliner (me).

There are so many campaigns and missions available through FB/AEP/PF, free downloads, add ons (Op. Barb. and BOE) that I see years of flying.

I've got at least 15 open campaigns so I can jump from one to another at a whim. I like how with the merged install I can fly from one interface. Boredom may eventually take root, but not yet.

TrackIr made a vast difference in playability. I'd like to get pedals someday, when my MS Sidewinder 2 wears out (It's my 3rd stick and I've used it since CFS1).

When I finally get broadband internet, I'd like to try online fighting. Anyone fly online with 56K?? Success or Failure?

Capt._Tenneal
02-28-2005, 12:54 PM
I only picked IL2 Manager from the list, since that is the only one I use regularly at this time. I've heard a lot of good stuff about UQMG, but I'd rather play a well made and well researched campaign or mission than doing it myself in some sort of "sandbox" mode. For offline play I have simple requirements : IL2 Manager, DGEN, and good 3rd party campaigns and I'm happy.

So, campaign makers please continue to churn out the stuff. It's the only thing that keeps the game fresh for me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RedNeckerson
02-28-2005, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
give one vechile a path then have a close item with same patch or select a group of vechiles and mirror them all keeping the same coords.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Word.

Even Janes WWII fighters had this in 1998.

TugZooey
02-28-2005, 01:08 PM
UQMG is wonderful. I don't know why something like it wasn't incorporated into the game in the first place.

Friendly_flyer
02-28-2005, 01:18 PM
I use none of the mentioned stuff. I'm just not the technical kind. However, utility wise, I would say the IL2-forums and (now sadly down) IL2Skins with forums are great! Perhaps especially the various smaller forums (mission builder’s forum springs to mind) are brimming with very nice and helpful people. I still haven't asked a question without getting good and helpful answers.

Thanks everyone!

(Guess I have to give some of the stuff Bearcat suggested a try)

Maj_Death
02-28-2005, 01:27 PM
I use none of those programs, the problem with the IL2 series offline is not the campaigns, those are easy enough to edit myself. The problem is the AI. The AI is ******ed to the point where it simply sucks all the fun out of it.

Monson74
02-28-2005, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maj_Death:
I use none of those programs, the problem with the IL2 series offline is not the campaigns, those are easy enough to edit myself. The problem is the AI. The AI is ******ed to the point where it simply sucks all the fun out of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you go online? Well, I'm a ****** myself but there are many competent people out there who will gladly put up some resistance. I've just rediscovered how awesome the IL2-series can be on the right server with some people with the right attitude.

Bearcat99
02-28-2005, 03:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maj_Death:
I use none of those programs, the problem with the IL2 series offline is not the campaigns, those are easy enough to edit myself. The problem is the AI. The AI is ******ed to the point where it simply sucks all the fun out of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Death...... start using VAC... it makes up for some of the AI issues because you can tell them the same thing or different versions of the same thing quickly without loosing SA or taking your hands off the stick to type... makes a BIG difference..... Try it. For example.... on approach to the merge I tell the squadron to attack fighters. Then I tell my wingman to cover me. If I have a bandit on me I call for help from anyone.... or Ill say attack fighters.... I notice sometimes youhave to tell these guys things two or 3 times.. but VAC has definitely helped the AI issue IMO... and you dont have to shout either. I speak normally.