PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro 64 bit

VC81_GLIDER
11-17-2005, 01:18 PM
IS anyone using this? What is your take on it if you are? Anyone else research this and if so what did you find?

I am looking at a new system and want to make an informed determination on the operating system. I would like to be able to support 4G RAM but I also understand that there are driver availablity issues.

rfap
11-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi VC81_Glider,

I'm using XP64 and have no problems running IL2/FB/AOE/PF + BOE/Fau Blau/TLD.
The trick is to stay with a fairly simple system.
I'm running an Athlon 64 2800 with an ASUS board on an Nvidia chipset (NF3 250GB) + a Nvidia 6600GT Agp graphics card. 2 drivers to get my system up and running and both by the same company. You will have problems finding drivers for modems (I used the Actiontec V.90 driver for my Multitech modem), printers (Epson have 64 bit drivers) and stuff like memory card readers.
Apps generally install and run with no issues. I'm using AVG antivirus and Outpost Pro as a firewall with MS Antispyware Beta and Lavasoft Ad-Aware for malware problems. MS Office installs and runs with no issues.
The 64bit version of IE does not work with Windows update and Mozilla (Firefox) cannot download a 64bit Flash plugin...
I'm lucky to have a CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Pedals as there is a 64bit driver available for them that works perfectly with IL2

Games Running on my 64 bit system:
IL2 / FB / AOE / PF
Silent Hunter III
Quake 4

If you're going to get a new system, make sure it supports PCI Express. I would go with something like NForce 4 MB (DFI Infinity), Opteron 165 ("350 @ Komplett), 6800GS graphics ("240 @ Komplett), 2 GB 3500 DDR, 200GB SATA II HD.

Hope that helps

megalagon
11-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Both Windows Xp versions (home and pro) will support 4 GB of memory. That's the max memory supported by a 32-bit operating system.
Windows XP64 supports upto 16 Gb of memory. The only problem is finding a motherboard that supports that much. That is besides looking into Intel's server boards, which is something all together different.

If your really looking into getting a 64-bit O/S, do what <span class="ev_code_RED">rfap</span> suggested and keep it simple. Driver support is starting to catch up.
I've tried XP64 and wasn't really impressed with it. Once 64-bit programs hit the market (become more mainstream,where you'll be able to really see the differance) I'll probley look into the O/S again, but untill then I'll stick with my old XP PRO.

WOLFMondo
11-17-2005, 03:19 PM
The only thing I found is the error reporting service likes to make itself know an awful lot, CH sticks do not work with XP64 and the performance increase is negligable.

In short, don't bother. Not many 64bit apps out and many work with errors if they work at all. Wait for Vista, I tried the MSDN version at work recently and that is fast.

VF-17_DWolf
11-17-2005, 03:26 PM
I was going to get the 64bit Window's XP until I read all the reports on NewEgg.com. Most of the people had problems with drivers. Some even said leave for the 'pro'fessional people, because it is complex as far as downloading new drivers.

Most people are going to wait for the next version of it to come out.

Just go to Software on NewEgg.com and look up the 64bit Windows XP, there's a lot of write-ups about it. Most of them are bad.

DWolf

codeseven7
11-17-2005, 09:44 PM
I've been running XP x64 Pro for several months now and love it. It is by far the best OS Microcrap has made to date that I have used. All my apps, including PF, COD2, and SH3 run as fast if not faster than x32. Drivers have not been a problem (especially now that Creative has released their x64 X-FI driver http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) and CH Products is currently testing their Beta x64 driver. I recommend x64. Vista should be slightly better but it's not going to be released mainstream for quite some time.

IDF_Raam
11-17-2005, 11:02 PM
XP64 works fine, including the game and the equipment, in cluding CH products.
There is no CH mamager yet for 64, but they sent me a beta version to test. No driver for my HP scanner yet.