PDA

View Full Version : Manual TDC - Will you use it?

sdcruz
01-25-2005, 09:21 PM
How many of you will use the TDC is manual mode?

Apparently it is far more realistic using this, but in the heat of battle, I think many will revert to auto mode.

Regards
Shelton

Dominicrigg
01-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Ill be playing the game as captian so i will delegate as leaders do. Captains have to make the split second decisions and choose the targets, but dont have time to play around with tdc's. Though as captain i might push the men off the deck gun shouting "no no no... look this is how its done. FIRE!!!! Muhahhaha"

Also for a laugh i may do one or two tdc shots.

Teddy Bar
01-25-2005, 11:13 PM
I will. The accomplishment when I sink the ship will be mine than feeling that the ATDC gave me a kill.

Charos
01-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Auto TDC has no place on my WW2 Submarine.

Its good to check and test against manual TDC though incase something isnt right.

But when it comes to Camapign's its Manual Mode for me.

sdcruz
01-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Well in real life was this delegated to an officer - if so then I will also use this person to do all the hardwork - don't mind that at all!

regards
Shelton.

SailorSteve
01-26-2005, 02:04 AM
If the Auto TDC makes mistakes and misses, as it did with AOD, then I'll let it do the dirty work. If it's supernaturally perfect like the one in SHII then I guess I'd better start practicing.

Or maybe I'll just practice anyway, and see if my aged eyes and brain will let me keep up.

frog7
01-26-2005, 02:46 AM
No i wont use it,coz its way to Hard for me...im not that bright..So i will leave it to guys who can.

Drebbel
01-26-2005, 02:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sdcruz:
Well in real life was this delegated to an officer - if so then I will also use this person to do all the hardwork - don't mind that at all!

regards
Shelton. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So who is gonna estimate target distance and target speed, etcetera ?

Tomcat41
01-26-2005, 06:16 AM
im new to subsims but im still planning to learn the manual TDC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

pilpoilsL
01-26-2005, 06:53 AM
I would like to use it because for once a game makes me think hard and it would be a shame not be be able to make the most of it

blue_76
01-26-2005, 06:57 AM
exclusively http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif it is more pleasing.. that is also why i prefer driving a manual stick

EFileTahi
01-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Never used it before... I don't know how it works, but, am truly exciting to give it a try http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VVS-Manuc
01-26-2005, 07:38 AM
I don't need it...i want to push a button and then...BOOM ! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif A game with more than 2 clickable buttons is too difficult for me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Redwine
01-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Yes....I will use it.......

It is true that the calculation was not a job for a only one man...... calculations was made working in a team.......

In some periscopes you can see the calculator rulers under the view finder but in anothers you can see the calculatro rulers at tha back side of the periscope, the captain take data and an officer works with the calculator at the back of the periscope side........

Results was given to the TDC operator to input data into it......

May be some more officer was at side with hand calculator rulers crsschecking calculations.........

I think so the best way is to give us the choice of use or not manual TDC...... i like manual TDC, but not always, some times i want to use the sime just for distraction.......

I think so you must ti understand lot of people here are looking for a simulator not for a game......

Off course, i am completely agree about the game must to have a rising complexity scale from very easy up to very hard and realistic..........

macker33
01-26-2005, 08:18 AM
The first time i play the game i will probably play it in softy mode,second time around i will use manual TDC.

sav112
01-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Never used it before, but I‚‚ā¨ôll sure try to learn it. If I shoot I want to know I got the kill not some Auto pilot. It just adds to the game for some but for others its good to have auto and even if I start with out auto I might get bored with the work involved and just want to plan my next attack.

99% will try it

comrade_Ivan
01-26-2005, 10:05 AM
During submerged attacks the German U-Boat Commander peered through the periscope to acquire range, angle on the bow, and speed. He then called out that information to the TDC Operator. So if you want to be an authentic captain you should learn to acquire the data manually.

On surface torpedo attacks the First Watch Officer acquired all the data while looking through the "UZO". The commander kept an overall look on the horizon for threats, and pointing out targets to the First Watch Officer. So on surface attacks it would be authentic to go auto mode.

I guess it all depends on choice. What you want to do as a player..http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yarrick_
01-26-2005, 12:28 PM
It depends... some times I will do it in automatic mode and some times not. No sim fully simulates this, because you have to enter the data by yourself, when in reality you only have to say it. In some modern sub sims I found that entering the date by myself is more accurate than leaving it to the computer, if I find that this happens in SH3 I will not ever let do it to the computer.
But to calculate that in WWII subs is mainly complicated, added to the difficulty of looking throught the periscope to generate the data, so I will need lots of practice to switch from automatic to manual.
What I hate from AotD is that you cannot leave the periscope to an officer like in SH2 when you're not looking through it. If this cannot be done, I will probably not loose my time calculating things while destroyers may be there ambushing me.

Well, ok, I have been thinking on it, I will make the promise of finally switching to manual TDC's for SH-3, a think which I never finished with the others.

Hitman_PAces
01-26-2005, 12:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> During submerged attacks the German U-Boat Commander peered through the periscope to acquire range, angle on the bow, and speed. He then called out that information to the TDC Operator. So if you want to be an authentic captain you should learn to acquire the data manually.

On surface torpedo attacks the First Watch Officer acquired all the data while looking through the "UZO". The commander kept an overall look on the horizon for threats, and pointing out targets to the First Watch Officer. So on surface attacks it would be authentic to go auto mode.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely correct!!

And that is the technique I'm planning to use, unless SH3 surprises me with a super auto TDC, like in SH2. I hope ( Like Salior Steve did ) that it will miss regularly if shooting from too far away. I will also try to hold until 1000-1500 metres before shooting, as in real life, but again that will depend on the quality of the enemy Lookouts.

Let's hope for the best http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BobTuck
01-26-2005, 01:11 PM
I should imagine that any time put into getting used to target id and manual tdc will be greatly rewarded by much more satisfying kills.

That is why I was so keen to get my hands on one of those ship ID manuals - I am going to try and memorise info from the manual to make tdc data input a quicker affair. On top of this, I am going to try and build up my confidence and speed with manual tdc BEFORE taking on huge and bewildering battles (where the temptation would otherwise be to switch to auto mode).

I will use auto mode for a laugh, but only in the stand-alone missions. My brother says he will use auto mode all the time, because the 'component targeting' part of it appeals to him.

It's just the premise that if you have to work harder to achieve something, then the end results mean a lot more to you.

New message from BDU:

"We would rather you sink less ships on manual tdc, than damage more on auto tdc" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BobTuck.

Paul_K
01-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Like a real U-boat commander, I'll be using the manual TDC from day one...umm, until about day eight or nine when I finally concede it's all too horribly complex. Then I'll 'delegate' like a real U-boat commander.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dutch_vn38416
01-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Since this is my first playing in SH I will use the ATDC for the first couple of encounters just so I can get the feel for the game (not my first sub sim I own 688i and sub command) and I plan on playing it without the ATDC asap.

Lanzfeld
01-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Manual TDC for me. It is the whole reason I like sub sims. Nothing compares to taking data of a target for a good 15 minutes or so and then trying a 2500 meter shot that hits. Great feeling. I am REALLY looking forward to the spread function.

Also, when you do the manual TDC it makes those unrealistic DD shots rare.

Carlos1123
01-26-2005, 08:20 PM
I would use the manual TDC if I could get some serious classes on it, in SHII I didn't even use the TDC at all, I would look through the periscope and make my estimates, it worked every time even though it was a very primitive technique.

If anyone is willing to teach me to use it, I would appriciate it; sorry my strong abilities are in Flight Simulator 2004.

Pr0metheus 1962
01-26-2005, 08:59 PM
I will regard myself as the 'spirit' of the crew, so I'll be taking over lots of positions whenever necessary, bringing out their best when it's needed. So I'll listen to the hydrophone, I'll use the manual TDC, I'll do spotting duty on deck, and I'll plot courses, etc. I'm not any one crewman, nor am I the captain - I just inhabit them when I think they need my help.

Charos
01-26-2005, 10:12 PM
I bet Beeryus has a major Morale problem on his boat - the dam things Haunted. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

bertgang
01-27-2005, 04:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul_K:
Like a real U-boat commander, I'll be using the manual TDC from day one...umm, until about day eight or nine when I finally concede it's all too horribly complex. Then I'll 'delegate' like a real U-boat commander. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same approach; maybe I'll wait for shorter time, as I'm really poor in calculations.

der|zerst0rer|
01-27-2005, 03:04 PM
The big 10000$-question is of course how long time I got to enter all that target data before my girlfriend comes in shouting "You're needed for kitchen duty!" or "Take the dog out for a walk. Now!"....so..

Life is too short. Put me up for Auto TDC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

finchOU
01-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Well, I hope that the Academy missions (if there are multipule) let me practice different shot angles at different ranges until I get proficent at taking and imputing data, that way in the heat of the battle I'll be more cofident taking a 2000-2500 yard shot before diving deep to avoid the DC attack. Of course if my approach is spoiled, by a lurking D,D but I still have a multipule overlap of targets, I'll take a shot from farther out.

of course if you get pointed into the flank of the convoy at 1500 yards, all you would have to do is change AOB to empty your tubes at multipule targets (given constant speed and course of the convoy).

Hongweibing
01-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Hola all,
With only some 50 days or so to refresh my mind I decided to relearn manual TDC but I've had unbelievable difficulties in getting to Redwine's Manual TDC tutorial pages. The little I've managed to read seems highly interesting but I immediately get stuck at the 'juicy' bits. A real pity.
Anyone knows of and could direct me to a decent alternative.

xiexie dajia

BobTuck
01-30-2005, 12:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>4. Will the customers have in the manual a well-explained and complete tutorial about how to take target data? Ranges, with a real method (Stadimeter, telemeter, mast head angle), Target Relative Course with the 3 Bearing Method, and Target Speed with the Cosin Theoreme Method?

The manual will include a detailed tutorial about manual collecting target data. You will learn to use the mast head angle method for range estimation, visually evaluate the angle on bow of the target and use a light version of the Cosin Theorem method (no trigonometry calculus involved, just data inputs) for finding target‚‚ā¨ôs speed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are no severe maths to process.
I think the interface provided will make it relatively easy (if long-winded) to perform manual tdc.

As shown here:
http://www.subsim.com/ssr/sh3_1104/preview_sh3_oct04_tdc.htm

Regards,
BobTuck.