PDA

View Full Version : Really ignorant questions from an online noob

blakduk
11-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Hi guys
I finally got a new rig and have a decent net connection. I've been dipping my toe into the online waters- Man, I suck!!!!!
I have a few really basic questions, if you guys can answer them i'd appreciate it. Some of these are embarassing....
1) How do i get credit for finishing a mission?
Twice i crash landed when i RTB'd, once i got a credit and once i didnt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif Both times i didnt burn, just snapped off wheels and lost major elements of the airframe. (Both times i had a wing stall that had holes in it)
2) How does chat work? Do many people use it?
I have managed to get teamspeak to work but i dont see much chat on the warclouds server (I joined that as the settings are to my liking)
3) A spitfire bounced and killed me fair and square and my system locked up, i'm not sure if they got credited with killing me or not (I did a reboot and realised a networking program was interfering with my setup http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif). I have no idea who the pilot was and i wanted to reasure them that i wasnt trying to cheat them out of points. Would they have been credited anyway? How can i find out?
4) How long does it take on average to start to gain some credibility flying online?
The only kill i have so far is a spitfire that i was in a rolling scissors with that lost a wingtip on my prop http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
I've managed to just get shot a lot so far... i suppose i might learn eventually.

DKoor
11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by blakduk:
1) How do i get credit for finishing a mission?
Twice i crash landed when i RTB'd, once i got a credit and once i didnt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif Both times i didnt burn, just snapped off wheels and lost major elements of the airframe. (Both times i had a wing stall that had holes in it) RTB and hit refly in most instances...... on sum servers like WarClouds you actually need to survive for points...

2) How does chat work? Do many people use it?
I have managed to get teamspeak to work but i dont see much chat on the warclouds server (I joined that as the settings are to my liking) Use TS........... use chat too..... I just press chat key enter text in box and hit ENTER.

3) A spitfire bounced and killed me fair and square and my system locked up, i'm not sure if they got credited with killing me or not (I did a reboot and realised a networking program was interfering with my setup http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif). I have no idea who the pilot was and i wanted to reasure them that i wasnt trying to cheat them out of points. Would they have been credited anyway? How can i find out? He will be credited unless you weren't in a server that has WarClouds like stats..... he will be awarded 100pts (if he RTB succesfully) in game nevertheless.

4) How long does it take on average to start to gain some credibility flying online?
The only kill i have so far is a spitfire that i was in a rolling scissors with that lost a wingtip on my prop http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
I've managed to just get shot a lot so far... i suppose i might learn eventually. Dunno what is the question here......... of course like in all things, as soon as you start to fly good you will be recognized.
But that is not a no.1 priority.
Go there and have fun...........................

Where do you fly?

Cajun76
11-03-2007, 06:44 PM
1) Land and refly

2) Its a good idea to expand your chat bar by opening and dragging it like a window. I have 5 lines showing myself.

3) They were probably credited. A one time instance is fine, it's the pilots that do it regular to preserve their points and kill/death ratio that people get mad about. Don't sweat it.

4) That's up to you and your skills, and the way you approach the game/sim. Do you help your team, or try to rack up kills at the expense of objectives, if any? Do you follow the rules of the server? Things like that.

Good luck, and

blakduk
11-03-2007, 06:51 PM
DKoor- I've been trying out a few servers. I've tried SpitsVs109's and WildcatsVsZekes, but the navigation and lack of icons is a big issue for me.
I think i'll keep trying the Warclouds server.

DKoor
11-03-2007, 06:53 PM
DKoor- I've been trying out a few servers. I've tried SpitsVs109's and WildcatsVsZekes, but the navigation and lack of icons is a big issue for me.
I think i'll keep trying the Warclouds server. Great!

Nice places.

Personally I find WarClouds settings to be great for more "serious" type of server..... solely because of orientation and related to it - finding ground targets.

blakduk
11-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by DKoor:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blakduk:

Nice places.

Personally I find WarClouds settings to be great for more "serious" type of server. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree- i tried a couple of the servers that have 'cockpit off' allowed but i find that to be an immersion killer for me.
What i have found is how important it is to fly with comrades- alone i die really quickly!

Deadmeat313
11-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Hello! As a local representative of the 'Community of Really Awful Pilots' I welcome you to the team. It is our solemn task to prevent the servers becoming too uber by, er, not being very good.

Now, perhaps to answer a question or two...

Firstly, if you get killed a lot online, thats not so bad as it happens to most of us who aren't Uber. Most likely your Spitfire opponent will have got the kill. But even if not, you can bet there were plenty of other targets out there and the ace would have been too busy to notice much. Don't worry about it.

Chat Bar: Click and drag the chat bar downwards while you are in the briefing room (if you've not done this already) so you can see more lines. I've got mine to show 4 lines of text. That way you can read the messages before they scroll upwards off screen.

To chat, hit the "`" button on the top left of your keyboard (NOT Esc, obviously) and type away. Hit RTN to post, and the game will ask if the post is to go to "ALL" or "MY TEAM". Use up/down arrows to select one, then RTN again.

Obviously - use MY TEAM for sensitive stuff the bad guys shouldn't hear. Use ALL for smack-talk etc. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

If you're on TS you shouldn't need chat too much.

RTB : Land safely, then quit mission and you should get the points. Crash landings are borderline, and the computer seems to toss a coin after one of those to ascertain whether to award anything.

Hope that helps. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

T.

DKoor
11-03-2007, 07:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DKoor:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blakduk:

Nice places.

Personally I find WarClouds settings to be great for more "serious" type of server. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree- i tried a couple of the servers that have 'cockpit off' allowed but i find that to be an immersion killer for me.
What i have found is how important it is to fly with comrades- alone i die really quickly! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Quite true IMO!

Unless you fly fast plane at favorable alt, you'll be needing any help you can get....................... that said, you have to watch carefully your location at all times...... cruising very fast (+500kph) will get you very far in a few minutes (of wrong direction).
Some guys get carried away and find themselves surrounded by whole enemy Air Force.....

You know your plane. You know your enemy planes(et).......
Use that to your advantage.... for instance watch out for enemy fighters you'll be having most trouble on alts that you operate on.... press hard for to kill those that happen to be on their unfavorable alt.

MrMojok
11-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Blakduk, you may have just hit a slow time on Warclouds.

Stay with the Teamspeak, don't give up on it, especially on those servers you mentioned you like to fly on.

Unless you are an uber-ace, flying around without comms on some of those servers you mentioned is not going to be fun. There are packs of guys out there talking on comms who are looking for lone wolves to run down. Get on the TS and talk to your side... figure out what's going on. It increases your survivability in a big way.

Also, some guys, despite appearing to have somewhat of a gruff demeanor on these boards, are more than happy to give you tips over TS. There are people out there who will help you.