PDA

View Full Version : Just want to say.

Jaws43
06-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all you have done to flightsim Oleg and will do in future.

At the start of IL-2 I had more battles with my joystick and SA than the enemy.

My X-52 and track-IR solved that and I had really the feeling I was fighting the enemy instead of my controls.

The 4.01 patch spoiled my fun in flying and now I'm more busy to trim my plane instead of fighting the enemy.

No hard feelings and I had a lot of fun with the game.

I respect all people who like the patch but I may also tell my feelings.

Have fun all I will take a brake until next patch.

Cheers

crazyivan1970
06-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I doubt that next patch will change something. Next sim will be even more complex. Might as well get with the program instead of taking a break. Don`t be a quitter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

reverendkrv1972
06-22-2005, 03:48 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
I really don't understand why some people are having so much trouble adapting to new FM changes.
It's a real shame that an established pilot such as yourself,feels they have to leave.
after 4/5 years and all the previous changes,surely people can take some more time to get used to what I (& others) find as being an improvement to the series.

hopefully you can stick with it.

~S

Rev

EnGaurde
06-22-2005, 04:02 PM
why do people get so turned off by changes to their accepted situation?

and why, for the lurve of God, do they decided to abandon a sim they USED to like over it?

it really puzzles me, almost amuses me about how finely balanced some people are.

frankly this sim is not hard to deal with. Its not hard to fly online and shoot people down / bomb things.

to give up over changes in the patch?

i simply do not understand that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

LEXX_Luthor
06-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Until you get some lesser expensive hardware (see below), use lower difficulty settings -- there is finally some difference between realistic and easy settings.

I use a 20$ Saitek Cyborg Graphite from (ugh) WalMarts, with a minimalist 3 buttons--a real WW2 control column, but its got the most massive throttle made of any joystick, and the most massive base, and the largest stick-top throw distance (6 inches, measure the X-52 lol). It seems, the high expensive hardware is giving problems under New FM, and the primitive may work better. The Graphite is also the largest joystick made out there. Its just a giant dumb stick, just like the real WW2 sticks. Best, the Graphite comes with no software, and has no joystick um "profile" whatever that means, at least not that I have seen.

Aeronautico
06-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Boh... with version 4.0 I noticed an interesting, tricky and "real" (but not huge) improvement. Now with version 4.01 (probably I just got used to it) I barely feel any difference to what it was with 3.04...

knightflyte
06-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Give it time JAWS. You know the sim is good. Just the FMs need attention of the pilot.
You've got a decent stick there. Try changing the input throws to compensate for pilot twitch.

Take an hour or so in QMB and just fly your favorite bird. I had a hard time the first few days with the FMs, and I still get a little disoriented on occasion.

When I did the QMB and just flew the bird, I felt how the plane reacted to rudder trim... to torque... and to co-ordinated turns without the pressure of battling the enemy.

You'll see a lot of improvements to the game. My favorite so far...(I hope I'm not just lucky)... is no AI kill stealing. The enemies plane has to react like yours so there shouldn't be...(and I have yet to notice it)...any UFO FMs by the AI.

Give it at least a few quiet hours to come to terms with the new patch.

Again I can't stress enough to configure your input throws.

Jumoschwanz
06-23-2005, 07:29 AM
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Jumoschwanz

A.K.Davis
06-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Jumo, chill out man.

I strongly advise everyone to reset controls to default, make sure they are calibrated outside of the sim and work from there.

AerialTarget
06-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Jaws43:
The 4.01 patch spoiled my fun in flying and now I'm more busy to trim my plane instead of fighting the enemy.

Do you know something? You would make a very lousy pilot, and an even worse World War Two fighter pilot!

foxfire1941
06-23-2005, 01:36 PM
"Do you know something? You would make a very lousy pilot, and an even worse World War Two fighter pilot!" -AerialTarget

AT -I thought that statement was rude. Why not show some respect for others? Especially when Jaws43 said he respects other peoples points of view.

"No hard feelings and I had a lot of fun with the game.

I respect all people who like the patch but I may also tell my feelings.

Have fun all I will take a brake until next patch.

Cheers

Good Hunting." - Jaws43

S!
I will tell Jaws43 to not give up so soon, do like A.K. Davis suggested and put your jstick slider settings to default and work from there, that's what I'm doing. This game is too good to give up on. I never quit trying, and it eventually pays off in spades.

FF1941

partic_3
06-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Just an observation.
I bought a new Saitek Cyborg Evo for the twisty rudder but I can't bloody fly with it to save my life. I've had a fiddle with it as far as all the pitch and yaw settings and so on and will have to do a lot more work because at the moment I just cannot line up on target. I've gone back to my MS precision pro or whatever it is and have had to turn off "take off and landings" with the new patch (i.e. keyboard rudder makes these things too hard). Funnily enough, though, once in the air I have not had any problems (off line, mind) even though I am not using the rudder at all! (I just rebuilt PC and installed all patches clean, i.e. I don't have the 4.00 to 4.01 "no torque" issue).
My points are, firstly; I have not found the 4.01m patch has affected the way I play, once in the air, and enjoy the game (admittedly off-line) and second; the new joystick has made a far, far greater impact on this than the patch.

As I said just an observation...

pacettid
06-24-2005, 05:31 AM
I posted this on another thread about trim, but it's even more appropriate here, so forgive the repeat.

Here is a quote from Chapter 1 of Clarence "Bud" Anderson's To Fly and Fight. This is the chapter where he discribes the most intense turning dogfight of his life, against a Bf-109:

"Any airplane with a single propeller produces torque. The more horsepower you have, the more the prop will pull you off to one side. The Mustangs I flew used a 12-cylinder Packard Merlin engine that displaced 1,649 cubic inches. That is 10 times the size of the engine that powers an Indy car. It developed power enough that you never applied full power sitting still on the ground because it would pull the tail up off the runway and the propellor would chew up the concrete. With so much power, you were continually making minor adjustments on the controls to keep the Mustang and its wing-mounted guns pointing straight.

There were three little palm-sized wheels you had to keep fiddling with. They trimmed you up for hands-off level flight. One for the little trim tab on the tail rudder, the vertical slab which moves the plane left or right. Another adjusted the tab on the tail's horizontal elevators that raise or lower the nose and help reduce the force you had to apply for hard turning. The third was for aileron trim, to keep your wings level, although you didn't have to fuss much with that one. Your left hand was down there a lot if you were changing speeds, as in combat...while at the same time you were making minor adjustments with your feet on the rudder pedals and your hand on the stick. At first it was awkward. But with experience, it was something you did without thinking, like driving a car and twirling the radio dial."

Bearcat99
06-24-2005, 06:13 AM
Thats why I ignore or try to ignore a lot of this stuff here. Ill take the words of Anderson,Arche,RobertsmBoyington,Sakai,Knocke, and Poryshin over anyone here any day of the week.

Jaws43
06-24-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by pacettid:
I posted this on another thread about trim, but it's even more appropriate here, so forgive the repeat.

Here is a quote from Chapter 1 of Clarence "Bud" Anderson's To Fly and Fight. This is the chapter where he discribes the most intense turning dogfight of his life, against a Bf-109:

"Any airplane with a single propeller produces torque. The more horsepower you have, the more the prop will pull you off to one side. The Mustangs I flew used a 12-cylinder Packard Merlin engine that displaced 1,649 cubic inches. That is 10 times the size of the engine that powers an Indy car. It developed power enough that you never applied full power sitting still on the ground because it would pull the tail up off the runway and the propellor would chew up the concrete. With so much power, you were continually making minor adjustments on the controls to keep the Mustang and its wing-mounted guns pointing straight.

There were three little palm-sized wheels you had to keep fiddling with. They trimmed you up for hands-off level flight. One for the little trim tab on the tail rudder, the vertical slab which moves the plane left or right. Another adjusted the tab on the tail's horizontal elevators that raise or lower the nose and help reduce the force you had to apply for hard turning. The third was for aileron trim, to keep your wings level, although you didn't have to fuss much with that one. Your left hand was down there a lot if you were changing speeds, as in combat...while at the same time you were making minor adjustments with your feet on the rudder pedals and your hand on the stick. At first it was awkward. But with experience, it was something you did without thinking, like driving a car and twirling the radio dial."

Good to read http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I must say I really appreciate the encouraging words from fellow pilots to keep on trying. I received some useful tips and although I prefer the pre 4.0/ 4.01 settings I am able again to experience fun during flight.

A game how realistic made€¦.. must be fun otherwise people stop playing.

Thanks again and I will not wait for next patch but fly as if 4.01 never was released.

han freak solo
06-24-2005, 06:30 AM
Sometimes a break is all you need Jaws.

For me, 4.01 is a relearning experience. I haven't even touched a campaign yet. For the last week I've been practicing and practicing. About 10 hours on the new patch before rudder pedals and about 5 hours on the patch after rudder pedals.

My biggest issues that I'm grinding through now are aiming and landing. My new pedals make taking off a relative breeze compared to the twisty stick. But landing, I'm still retraining my brain on the flare. 50% of the time, I flare a tad too high and slam into the runway snapping gear off. Somebody replaced my gear struts with toothpicks!! Toothpicks, I say!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Snoop_Baron
06-24-2005, 04:36 PM
It's been said before but don't forget that if you don't like the new torque model you can turn that effect off in the settings. I recommend an X45 throttle with one knob on elevator trim and the other on rudder trim it will make your life easier.

Regards,
Snoop

VF-3Thunderboy
06-25-2005, 10:06 PM
It would be possible to make a simple rudder pedal set for hand use. Just look up on SIMviation forums for rudder pedals under home build cockpits. All you need is a pot and somthing to turn it with...and a small set of "pedals" like a small 6" peice of long wood, 1" by 6".... That makes it fairly simple to do, untile you ant to build a full set... Lots of people have built simple sets for under #35.00

When flying it was always neccessary to constantly use trim. This makes the sim more like the old 1% MS files, IE: more fun....! The hand was always on the elevator trim...or something else.... (no torque issues)...