PDA

View Full Version : Still torn about mods

mortoma
11-22-2009, 09:20 AM
As nice as it is to have all the extra planes in the mods, I still find that packaging them together as a 'one size fits all' is disappointing. I'm taking the bad with the good so far but it can be frustrating.

For every two nice things these mod packs have I find at least one thing that sucks. Case in point, I recently discovered that 'flashes' appearing on other aircraft when you shoot them are far less pronounced, or absent totally when you're a bomber defensive gunner. When you hit aircraft with a defensive MG gunfire you see no flashes at all, which makes it tougher to get hits. I like to be a bomber gunner every now and then because flying any aircraft is no longer a challenge for me, I have mastered all of them. So it's just kind of something different to do. I noticed that if I go to stock 4.08m or 4.09m and fly the same scenario as a gunner in QMB, I see a multitude of flashes when I hit a plane. Not so with my UI 1.2 mod setup!! I can still see the tracers but no flashes on anything. So once again we get someone else's taste inflicted on us. Just like when they ruined an otherwise great Spitfire XIV because the normal cockpit view is as if your nose is only three inches behind the gunsight. Looks more like what the gunsight view should be like.

SeaFireLIV
11-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:
So once again we get someone else's taste inflicted on us. .

That`s the nature of Mods, i`m afraid. People criticise Oleg and say things like `Olegian` to criticise his view of the sim, but it`s his creation. Now with Mods we get the Modder`s view of how he thinks things should be and guess what? the Modder is often wrong or others of us don`t agree with it. Look at all the arguing threads we`ve had in the past that have insisted that certain planes have to be uber or are porked just because a person `thinks` so.

Only way to cure this is stay with Oleg`s view or make your own mods. I am VERY wary of any Mod that adds or drastically changes aircraft, especially aircraft like P51s, Spits and 109s as no doubt, modders have made them super good or bad depending on their bias. I usually stick with Aesthetic stuff.

idonno
11-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:When you hit aircraft with a defensive MG gunfire you see no flashes at all...

Disable the Mod that changes the gun effects.

Originally posted by mortoma:...flying any aircraft is no longer a challenge for me, I have mastered all of them.

You must never fly online if you can make a statement like that. It's certainly possible to get to where you can't be beaten (1 v 1) by AI, but when you're fighting real people there's always somebody better than you. At the very least you'll find plenty who are good enough to make the fight interesting.

megalopsuche
11-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I have the UI 1.2 but still prefer 4.09m: faster load times, fewer bugs, etc. The XIV seems FUBAR, but I'm not surprised at all.

thefruitbat
11-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm not torn at all.

PS, i don't have the problem you describe with the Griffon spit???

These threads are like groundhog day.

Eow_TK
11-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Just like when they ruined an otherwise great Spitfire XIV because the normal cockpit view is as if your nose is only three inches behind the gunsight. Looks more like what the gunsight view should be like.

Do what I do, use 6dof to back up a bit. Simple and end of problem.

Warrington_Wolf
11-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I was a bit torn about mods but that disappeared when I heard the modded sound of the .50 cals thumping away(and I mean thumping) through my sub woofer system. I don't bother with the added planes this sim has more than enough stock aircraft to keep me happy, but the new sound and visual effects just add more immersion to this great sim.

stalkervision
11-22-2009, 10:55 AM
just pick the particular mods you want to use and be thankful you can for once. Sheeezzz! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Metatron_123
11-22-2009, 10:59 AM
The effect mods that tone down the flashes are good... They look less like fireballs now. What was completely removed however was the debris, something I didn't like . However on vpmedia's website us a mod that changes the shape and amount of the debris...There are always options.

BillSwagger
11-23-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm taking the bad with the good so far but it can be frustrating.
I'm finding that most of what i don't like is not necessarily the mods themselves, but the tendency for them to be abused.

Most of what you feel is being forced on you is actually something you can customize if you looked into a bit. Modders won't make a separate pack just for you or me . Its something that you might need to go the extra mile if it bothers you that much.

Case in point, I recently discovered that 'flashes' appearing on other aircraft when you shoot them are far less pronounced, or absent totally...........

I have a fix for this, and IIRC its part of the AAA weapons folder. The folder also needs to include the mat files and textures for the impact hits on planes. Adding debri i would think also entails the same process.

I will elaborate on this in a PM if you are interested.

Bill

mortoma
11-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by idonno:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:When you hit aircraft with a defensive MG gunfire you see no flashes at all...

Disable the Mod that changes the gun effects.

Originally posted by mortoma:...flying any aircraft is no longer a challenge for me, I have mastered all of them.

You must never fly online if you can make a statement like that. It's certainly possible to get to where you can't be beaten (1 v 1) by AI, but when you're fighting real people there's always somebody better than you. At the very least you'll find plenty who are good enough to make the fight interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Of course there's always someone better than you in a particular aircraft, because they fly it nearly exclusively in some cases. I meant generally speaking. I can fly any of the plane set and do well. When I go online I only get shot down by someone about one out of three times. Which is not bad really.

mortoma
11-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by BillSwagger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
I'm taking the bad with the good so far but it can be frustrating.
I'm finding that most of what i don't like is not necessarily the mods themselves, but the tendency for them to be abused.

Most of what you feel is being forced on you is actually something you can customize if you looked into a bit. Modders won't make a separate pack just for you or me . Its something that you might need to go the extra mile if it bothers you that much.

Case in point, I recently discovered that 'flashes' appearing on other aircraft when you shoot them are far less pronounced, or absent totally...........

I have a fix for this, and IIRC its part of the AAA weapons folder. The folder also needs to include the mat files and textures for the impact hits on planes. Adding debri i would think also entails the same process.

I will elaborate on this in a PM if you are interested.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes I would be interested. I'm not an expert on the mods, I only know how to install them. Enabling and disabling is something I never had time to learn. The mods seem a bit complex or at least it appears that way.

mortoma
11-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Any way to change what I call "in your face" cockpits, like the Spitfire XIV and some others? I guess some modders have a different taste in cockpits where they like the normal view to be more like the gunsight view of Oleg's original. If you go to wide view, that's OK but then your view of the outside world is altered and planes, objects and the scenery in general all appear much smaller. If I'm going to shoot at a plane I want to be able to see it in normal magnification. Not some tiny little thing that makes it harder to hit things with your guns. I just like the normal view to be normal so I can see some of the instruments without scrolling down with the mouse, as I don't have track IR or similar. Also, the wide view is kind of "fish bowled" if you know what I mean.

<span class="ev_code_RED">But please PM me with fixes as troubleshooting mods is not allowed on these boards the last I knew. </span>

mortoma
11-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by stalkervision:
just pick the particular mods you want to use and be thankful you can for once. Sheeezzz! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif If you download and install a mod pack it all comes together. If your brain was big enough you might realize that. Any other way of doing it takes more time than I have and the AAA mods site is a cluster**** of B.S. that's very difficult to sort through for those with limited time. Also if you take away or disable some things from a mod package, you might not be able to fly online. At least that's what I have read. Go get a job like I got and you wouldn't have time to go through all this crap either. Plus I never said I was not thankful, lame brain. I love some of the stuff that's in there, it just comes with both good and bad mixed in there together.

Did any of the rest of you read anywhere that I was not thankful for some of the mods? If that were the case I would not be using them!! As a matter of fact I have been using my install of 1.2 UI almost exclusively and put together a nice campaign using FMB to build the missions. Heck, they are good enough to share with people.

It just seems like Stalkervision only comes in here to flame people and put them down. Do we need dudes like that in the forums??

PF_Coastie
11-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I agree with you Mortoma. I am forced to use most of this "fluff" that I could care less about because it is part of the main package.

A lot of this stuff will make you CRT=2 NON-compliant if you disable it for online. For someone like me who has an aging machine, this is crucial for smooth gameplay in a large online server.

I am forced to still use all these "improved" smoke trails, flack bursts, fire balls and on and on at the cost of valuable FPS on my ever aging machine and that is simply not fair to the 50% +/- of us who do not have a $5,000 state of the art machine connected to a 50" plasma TV. If I disable a lot of this stuff, I can not join because I am not crt=2 compliant.

It is all a really sticky mess and I certainly hope it is resolved soon.

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-23-2009, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:
just pick the particular mods you want to use and be thankful you can for once. Sheeezzz! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif If you download and install a mod pack it all comes together. If your brain was big enough you might realize that. Any other way of doing it takes more time than I have and the AAA mods site is a cluster**** of B.S. that's very difficult to sort through for those with limited time. Also if you take away or disable some things from a mod package, you might not be able to fly online. At least that's what I have read. Go get a job like I got and you wouldn't have time to go through all this crap either. Plus I never said I was not thankful, lame brain. I love some of the stuff that's in there, it just comes with both good and bad mixed in there together.

Did any of the rest of you read anywhere that I was not thankful for some of the mods? If that were the case I would not be using them!! As a matter of fact I have been using my install of 1.2 UI almost exclusively and put together a nice campaign using FMB to build the missions. Heck, they are good enough to share with people.

It just seems like Stalkervision only comes in here to flame people and put them down. Do we need dudes like that in the forums?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, calm down, the bolded parts are over the line.

Secondly, 99% of the mods can be disabled by adding a - to the filename so yes the pack comes with a bunch of mods but you don't have to use them all. Read the readme file and you would know all this. CRT=2 is not broken by most visual mods so you can change all you like and still fly online.

Beleive me, I understand about limited time, but if you're going to use the mods without taking the time to read the instructions then don't get upset when someone tries to correct you about it. Now stalker could have been way more tactful, but his post didn't violate the ToU and yours did, think about that...