PDA

View Full Version : Historical accuracy in career mode?

salami90210
04-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm wondering if historical battles take place when and where theyre supposed to during career mode. For example, can I go to Gotenhafen on 18 May 1941 and meet The Bismarck as it starts Operation Rheinubung? Will it go where its supposed to go and engage in battles as it was recorded in historical accounts?

alanschu
04-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately no http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Frumpkis
04-10-2005, 06:27 PM
As I understand it, no. The game has a dynamic and semi-randomized campaign that spawns shipping, warships, convoys and air cover at a rate-of-encounter and locations appropriate for the period of the war you're in (more or less).

The only way you can recreate specific historical events is in the scripted single missions, or the mission editor.

Speaking for myself, I don't miss having scripted historical situations embedded in the dynamic campaign. In a real-life U-boat skipper's career, you wouldn't have advance knowledge of these events. The chances of being wrapped up in them (for example, stumbling across the D-Day invasion fleet) would be extremely low. So for pure realism's sake, I don't miss it.

Dominicrigg
04-10-2005, 06:46 PM
They were supposed to be in which would have been really cool but i guess they ran out of time getting the game out. I sorta wonder sometimes what they did with the extra time they had (lol sorry but i do) but i guess making the campaign engine must have taken longer then they thought.

The tools are there to put the events in, and the ships in harbours ect, one day if i have the time i may give it a go, but i hope the devs get it done before i have to do it myself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

All that said it would take quite a few man hours to put it all in. Then it would need testing which would take a few hours more. Maybe the game should have been delayed 6 months more. But then again as long as it gets in eventually im happy playing instead of waiting without any game at all!!

Nukem_Hicks
04-10-2005, 07:45 PM
The Bismark does not exist in the campaign. The Dunkirk fleet doesn't seem to exist during the proper time period, but I've read reports of skippers spotting intense activity around the area a week (May 20) before the actual evac took place. I've heard from a very reliable source (Beeryus) as well that the invasion of Norway is beautifully modelled as well. I have yet to hear anything about D-day, but the inclusion of LSTs in the recog manual leads me to believe that it will be modelled in some form.

That being said, Scapa Flow does seem to have various capital ships in harbor at the proper times of the war. I personally found and sank a Revenge class BB (i.e. the Royal Oak) in early October in my IIA and have heard that someone found the dates of capital ship dockings in the .cfg files and found them to correlate with proper wartime dates.

twistedpretzel
04-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Woah, looks like im gonna have to hit the books to sink some of the big ones eh.

Lovo_Kasistan
04-10-2005, 07:56 PM
You can also look into the campaign_SCR.mis with the editor if you want. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif