PDA

View Full Version : Loiter here. Wingman control?

MisterMark
09-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Wanted to know exactly how the 'loiter here' command works. I've been flying with experienced (ace) AI pilots in my flight and can't seem to get them to follow the command. They don't ever really seem to break off and loiter at all!

What I want to have happen is to have the rest of my flight stay circling at a certain alt while I dive in on targets. Any suggestions?

Also, trying to use the 'loosen formation' command with no avail. Seems like the loosen up for a few moments and then tighten back up. I used to play EAW and this command was pretty effective. You could ask your flight to loosen up multiple times and get a really nice spread.

general_kalle
09-06-2008, 12:46 PM
never really used the loiter command so i dont know but when cruising and i find my wingmens to fly a little too close for me to maneuver should it be neccecary i usually give them the loosen up order 4 times...then wait a little and you will see a difference..the thing is that the loosen up command is very little space. so 4 times will make a reasonable space.

Stingray333
09-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I am no pro with commanding the AI, but I do think you need to have a certain "rank" above them don't you? Like if you are in a campaign and your not high enough above them that they won't obey your orders? Like I said, I am not sure, so I'd like to hear more if someone knows

Stingray

S_p_l_a_s_h_1
09-06-2008, 06:58 PM
I've never tried the 'loiter' command in the way you describe, so I can't address that ... but the 'loosen formation' command works fine -- until you pass a new waypoint. Spacing (and formation) then reverts to the default.

Treetop64
09-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Loiter works fine, but it only applies to the fligts of a two (or more) flight mission, not your squad. So, if your flight is the only one on that mission, then the "Loiter Here" command is irrelevent.

The spacing formation commands work fine as well, but your AI wingmates will revert back to the mission's default spacing when (1) they return to formation after engaging enemy aircraft, and (2) your flight is flying along the waypoints on the return trip home (not sure which particular waypoints those are, though).

DKoor
09-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I sometimes used order "loiter" or "rtb" when I'm on the final approach for landing, because in some weird cases Ai can collide with earth because they are following my landing pattern in formation (I probably haven't hit the last landing waypoint so this happens).

dirkpit7
09-07-2008, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Stingray333:
I am no pro with commanding the AI, but I do think you need to have a certain "rank" above them don't you? Like if you are in a campaign and your not high enough above them that they won't obey your orders? Like I said, I am not sure, so I'd like to hear more if someone knows

Stingray

If you have too low rank you can't give any orders at all. But all orders that you can give should be obeyed. The higher rank you hold, the more planes/flights you have under command.