PDA

View Full Version : Have we seen the end of Pacific Fighters...and Flight Sims in general

von_Albert
01-28-2005, 02:11 PM
I was reading in oleg's ready room about problems with Northrop/Grumman requiring licensing fees for representing their products in a game and the fact that UBI actually paid the corporate bloodsuckers for something for which they have a very questionable right to claim ownership (since taxpayers indirectly support these companies). Anyway, I was wondering if that is more the real reason, rather than piracy (which doesn't help and is simply another form of lowlife bloodsucker) for the reason why Oleg seemed to hint that Pacific Fighters might be the last Sim we see from Maddox 1C. Is this why we NEVER hear anything anymore regarding development updates, etc?

Is it the case, that all games claiming any level of realism will now be required to pay licensing fees? If so, I think PF development is essentially done and BoB will likely never see the light of day. If would be nice to actually hear something from the publisher or developers regarding this issue, but they are probably legally not allowed to even say the word "Grumman" anymore without paying for it or being sued.

It seems that these licensing fees and associated problems, will be the end of all realistic computer gaming which caters to any kind of more sophisticated audience. If so, we can all look forward to multiplayer matches of "The Final Legend of Super Mario's Zeldakong Phantasy part LXXIV"

Bearcat99
01-28-2005, 02:18 PM
I dont think so..... I think there will always be flight sims.... maybe just not as many.....

DINGHAO
01-28-2005, 02:18 PM
No.

Speaking as a person who works in this area, I do not believe that they have a real cause of action. They are just shaking the trees to see what falls out.

Any competent IP attorney will be able to counter the threats with the appropriate steps to set up a valid fair use defense.

Don't worry, the sky is not falling.

Taylortony
01-28-2005, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DINGHAO:
No.

Speaking as a person who works in this area, I do not believe that they have a real cause of action. They are just shaking the trees to see what falls out.

Any competent IP attorney will be able to counter the threats with the appropriate steps to set up a valid fair use defense.

Don't worry, the sky is not falling. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yawn.............. I remember in the UK in the 50's when they cancelled half of the current military projects like the TSR2 the F111 as.s kicker because missiles would be the end of manned fighters ............ well 50 years on and believe it or not we still have living pilots in the Cockpit........... think that says it all..

LEXX_Luthor
01-28-2005, 07:27 PM
No, there are either ways around licensing or they can license and pass the costs on to the buyer like a Tax sort of. Model companies are using both methods today and still selling models somehow.

The most important event in the combat flight sim market is Microsoft retreating. This opens up the whole world to new combat flight sims that will actually be able to find shelf space that has always been hogged by Microsoft Marketing.

Microsoft abandoning 4SFC signals the Re~Birth of the combat flight sim genre.