PDA

View Full Version : Pc vs Playstation etc...

airjunkie
09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Has anyone been to there local video game store lately? Well I got 3 choices and it seem that the pc games are going away. The playstation etc... monster is taking over ever store and leaving us with no place to purchase new pc games. All the store's have put pc game's on a little rack in the middle of the store. Are we going to lose are choice of buying pc games? Are we faced with buying our favorite game's over the internet with a slow dial up?

triad773
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Amazon.com is where I got some of my IL2 stuff.

Yeah I agree it stinx we cannot buy a decent PC game locally.

mrsiCkstar
09-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Over here the majority of the games in game stores like EB Games etc are PC games... they have a lot for each of the consoles too, but they have most for the PC if used items don't count.

F6_Ace
09-12-2006, 12:19 PM
But you can download games etc easily for the PC without fear of any personal information being rumbled http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

After all, it saves on packaging, distribution and media costs (not that you'll see much of that saving - the shareholders will)

WB_Outlaw
09-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Here in Houston Best Buy and Circuit City still carry a good selection of PC games but EB Games has very few. Like airjunkie said, just a tiny little rack and then a bin of used games.

--Outlaw.

spiffyscimitar
09-12-2006, 12:23 PM
airjunkie, the reason places like EB have mostly console stuff front and center is because they make a killing selling used games. Becasue PC games are harder to sell used (with game keys, system requirements, patches, etc) it's not as profitable for them. So it's more a case of their greed vs the lack of PC games. Notice how places like circuit city, best buy, Comp Usa don't sell used games and have very large PC game sections.

WWSensei
09-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Supply and demand. The demand for consoles games is some 4-10 times the level of PC games. Been that way since 2003--the last year a PC based game made the Top Ten in sales (it was The Sims). Been all console ever since. Retailers are going to sell what customers want--hence console games get more shelfspace.

At my local EB and other game stores there are less than a dozen PC titles in the stores on average. Best Buy has around 30 titles. There are 30 RACKS of console games. At EB the PC section is about 3 feet high and 3 feet wide. The rest of the store is console including all the 4 shelf stands in the middle.

Add things like XBox360 and PS3 with horsepower on par with the latest computers and it doesn't bode well for large scale PC game development. You'll get ports, but other than niche games like simulators I think the PC has seen it's peak.

If consoles adapt to use USB mice and keyboards you can pretty much kiss the PC FPS market goodbye or severely degraded. It's the last strong holdout.

airjunkie
09-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the replys, Circut city & Best Buys do carry " The fresh top ten games prey,splinter cell, etc" but Il2 is now considered a little long in the tooth. But we will see if a dvd for IL2 or! Theater of War will come out in stores like Circut city. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

p1ngu666
09-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by F6_Ace:
But you can download games etc easily for the PC without fear of any personal information being rumbled http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

After all, it saves on packaging, distribution and media costs (not that you'll see much of that saving - the shareholders will)

packaging and distribution make up a small part of the cost of a game or music cd http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

couple o pence for a cd/dvd, 5-10p for a plastic case, 10p-50p for inlay..
probably cheaper, considering the vast numbers they must order.

hotspace
09-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by airjunkie:
Has anyone been to there local video game store lately? Well I got 3 choices and it seem that the pc games are going away. The playstation etc... monster is taking over ever store and leaving us with no place to purchase new pc games. All the store's have put pc game's on a little rack in the middle of the store. Are we going to lose are choice of buying pc games? Are we faced with buying our favorite game's over the internet with a slow dial up?

That's a good point. Where I live, in the town, you've got 2 major Games Stores of which both were great for getting PC Games, but over the last year it's all PS2, XBOX etc......with PC Games locked in a lttle cupboard with a small boy with the key for said cupboard locked inside.

Ok, the last bit is a bit of a lie there, but if you ask about a certain PC Game you'll alway's get With have the same kind of thing sir for PS2 and XBOX which are just as good or even better.... Saying that you wish to have what you ask for they all look dumb saying Well it will take awhile for us to order it, sir...

I have to go out of town to PC World these day's to get what I want http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

F6_Ace
09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by p1ngu666:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F6_Ace:

packaging and distribution make up a small part of the cost of a game or music cd http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

probably cheaper, considering the vast numbers they must order. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think of selling a million units of something then imagine you can save up to 60p on each sale. I wouldn't say that was a small cost at all.

p1ngu666
09-12-2006, 01:40 PM
yeah, thats a large saving for the company. but for the buyer, actully having a box/cd etc is more desireable often, plus the price difference isnt that big.

DuxCorvan
09-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I only went to my nearest super-store because of two things: early & baroque music and PC stuff. The first one has been completely hunted down to extinction: the whole classical music section has been scrapped to accomodate more hip-hop-funk-fank-fock-choop-choop-oh-yeah bongy bongy CDs -only that fat basturd Tutto Shout-a-lotti has a lot of CDs in his own mini-section of überlungs. The second one, the PC stuff- is about to be phagocited by an army of brainsucking consoles with lots of teens incoherently babbling around.

A pity. That was noble stuff, for more civilized times.

F6_Ace
09-12-2006, 02:55 PM
yeah, thats a large saving for the company. but for the buyer, actully having a box/cd etc is more desireable often, plus the price difference isnt that big.

Yes, that's what I meant - the company saves lots of $$$, the shareholders earn more $$$s and you don't even get a proper manual or CD/DVD etc - you have to burn it yourself!

Actually, I think downloads are not such a bad idea because the environmental cost of freighting stuff around also should be taken into account.

Treetop64
09-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Most of the stuff available for consoles is junk. The console market appeals to the masses who either don't have the time, desire, or capacity to learn to play a complex PC simulation. Unless it's an RPG, console games are exclusively "pick up and play", designed to look pretty, but be simple to play.

For that reason, the console market will always outnumber the PC market. Nothing wrong there, as that is expected.

You will likely never see games like IL-2 or War in the Pacific on a console. Those games generally do not appeal to the console crowd - they're "too hard", too much to grasp.

Moreover, stores like EB appeals to the console crowd as well. They require little effort to locate, since they're nearly as numerous as Starbucks. You'll still find plenty of PC games at places like Best Buy or Fry's, or whatever is availble in your area.

@ Dux:
I know what you mean on the music. The world seems to be taken over by this ridiculous "bumpity-bump" materialistic garbage. There are, however, a handful of truly talented exceptions, but largely, the term "Rap Music" is a gross example of an oxymoron, and the protaganists - who inexplicibly call themselves "artists" - are exceedingly deluded.

I almost exclusively buy classical and chamber music. I've found that Fry's, Borders, and Barnes & Noble have been the best places to find a good quantity of quality selections. Finding someone who knows what I'm looking for can sometimes be a different matter, however...

MucusG
09-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Sad but true that the PC game market is declining rapidly. The only game I play now is the IL2 series.

I am curious what the video card manufactures (Nvidia, ATI) must think about the decline in PC gaming, as this drives most of the PC sales. I know they provide the GPU solutions for the consoles but I bet the margin in a 7950 is a lot better.

S`
WTE_MucusG

LStarosta
09-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Pingu, you are one slow bastard... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

-HH- Beebop
09-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
I only went to my nearest super-store because of two things: early & baroque music and PC stuff. The first one has been completely hunted down to extinction: the whole classical music section has been scrapped to accomodate more hip-hop-funk-fank-fock-choop-choop-oh-yeah bongy bongy CDs -only that fat basturd Tutto Shout-a-lotti has a lot of CDs in his own mini-section of überlungs. The second one, the PC stuff- is about to be phagocited by an army of brainsucking consoles with lots of teens incoherently babbling around...
Dux, you almost always make me smile. Well put.

WWSensei
09-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by MucusG:
I am curious what the video card manufactures (Nvidia, ATI) must think about the decline in PC gaming, ...

In the case of ATI they end up developing the video chipsets for the XBox and PS3...

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-13-2006, 05:49 AM
Yeah, just don't tell my wallet...because the Core2duo E6700, dual raptors and XFX 7950GX2 I just bought has it stinging a bit.

TB

mrsiCkstar
09-13-2006, 07:19 AM
I find it a bit unfair to bag on the console crowd for their lack of simulation titles. I wouldn't go as far as to call them brainless teens that can't handle a simulation because it's too hard.

People just have different wants etc... I love a good simulation and yeah the PC is excellent for that. But I also love a good RPG and when I wanna play games like Knights of the Old Republic or Splinter Cell I find it to be much more enjoyable on a console.

Plus the PC has it's fair share of **** no substance titles as well.

WWSensei
09-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:
I find it a bit unfair to bag on the console crowd for their lack of simulation titles. I wouldn't go as far as to call them brainless teens that can't handle a simulation because it's too hard.

People just have different wants etc... I love a good simulation and yeah the PC is excellent for that. But I also love a good RPG and when I wanna play games like Knights of the Old Republic or Splinter Cell I find it to be much more enjoyable on a console.

Plus the PC has it's fair share of **** no substance titles as well.

Classifying "PC" players versus "Console" players with the PC players being "smarter" is pretty lame considering the vast majority of PC players are not simulator enthusiasts but first person shooter players. Right behind them is real time strategy players on the PC. Neither group are known for their long term attention span.

I'd say simulator style players are less than 5% of the PC crowd. So if you were to compare console to PC players and determine the console players were "brain dead" you could only do so by leaving out 95% of the PC players.

Just have to face that we are a minority in a niche genre on a dying gaming platform.

panther3485
09-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Looking purely at shelf space, the EB Games stores around my City are all much the same, with perhaps 25 percent of their shelving devoted to PC games, the other 75 percent being console games (new and 'pre-owned') together with accessories etc.

That general situation seems to have held pretty steady for the last couple or so years. The PC games market is smaller, sure, but still reasonably healthy as far as I can see.

As a PC gamer, I'm not sure how some writers here would 'categorize' me, since I play simulations, first person shooters and real-time strategy games all in roughly equal proportions.

I also have a son with PS2 (as well as his own PC) and nephews with XBoxes (as well as their owns PCs). The console equivalents of PC games are sometimes 'simplified', but that is to be expected, I guess. And some types of sim/games (like FB/AEP) will not appear on consoles, at least not until the interfaces include keyboards and maybe mice? Even then, I'm not sure it'll happen.

But I think the PC gamer will be around for some time yet to come. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Best regards, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
panther3485

Xiolablu3
09-13-2006, 09:09 AM
PC has been a 'dying platform' ever since it came out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ENough PC games come out every month to fill magazines with reviews.

Better games (as in deeper, more imaginative) games are released on PC.

Most Console games suck.

PC games have so much more depth

Games I love which would not have been made for consoles first (some have been converted to consoles AFTER success on the PC) :-

Hostile Waters
Vietcong
Vampire:The Maquarade
BattleZone
Hidden And Dangerous
Neverwinter Nights
Counterstrike
Halflife
Dues Ex
Noone Lives forever
Mafia
Command and Conquer
SWAT
UT
Quake
Doom
Silent Hunter
IL2 STURMOVIK (!)
Far Cry
Call OF Duty
Freespace II
System SHock 2
Sacrifice
Warcraft III
Baulders Gate
City Of Heroes
Rise Of Nations
GTA Series
Theif Series
Rome Total War
Civilaisation
Battlefield 1942/II
World Of Warcraft
Eve Online (Biggest Multiplayer game in the world)
Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivion

Cant think of any more right now. But safe to say I wouldnt even give one IL2 sturmovik or Halflife for 30 Tekken 8's or Race Driver 10's.
Thank God for the PC. I hope it never dies.

F6_Ace
09-13-2006, 09:50 AM
You're comparing apples and oranges.

For a simulation (and I use that word loosely), the PC is the better bet. However, a console player may well pay about 200 quid for a console whose performance knocks that of a 1000 PC into a cocked hat. Plus, when he buys his game, he knows it will work rather than n complaints of forums such as these because 'it won't load', 'I get graphical glitches', 'my sound won't work', 'I get microstutters' etc etc etc

If you play FPS, the console makes more sense. If you have an cellar full of gold bullion, upgrading your PC every microsecond to keep track of the latest titles makes sense.

TheGozr
09-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Console is for pacmans style game period. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Xiolablu3
09-13-2006, 01:13 PM
My last upgrade about 2 years ago, cost me around 200.

Athlon 2500+ = 65
MSI6712 motherboard = 20
Soundblaster Live! = 3
Geforce TI 4600 = 35 (Recently change too a Geforce 5900 Ultra for 40)
512 RAM = 27 (making 1.25gb in total)
New Case + 400 watt PSU = 30
Microsoft Force Feedback Pro = 2.99

PC gaming needent cost a lot of money.

p1ngu666
09-13-2006, 01:44 PM
imo its much the same as its always been, consoles take a big graphical leap, but then not much happens for 3-5years, PC's catchup and surpass consoles.

F6_Ace
09-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Yes, they do surpass but they're still cheaper in the long run, are more stable and user friendlier. Horses for courses.

I've spend peanuts PCs over time including upgrades. I also know, even at that, I could still buy a PS3, an Xbox AND an XBOX 360 for the same money as I've spent on a PC. I wouldn't buy all 3, of course, but you see the point.

I also think that it may be some time before the PC surpasses the PS3.

Xiolablu3
09-13-2006, 01:57 PM
I forgot Red Orchestra, love that game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I hate it when games are 'dumbed down' for console release. They should release a PC version which is NOT dumbed down, and then tweak the COnsole version for the casual players.

Dues Ex 2 sucked compared to Dues Ex 1, purely becasue of this reason. Such a waste.

F6_Ace
09-13-2006, 02:25 PM
How do you know it's dumbed down unless you play both all the way through? (Or someone reviews it and says so?)

I've an Xbox and I think it's great for multiplayer games like Halo, Halo2, Super Monkey Ball Deluxe etc. With 4 of you, it's like having a mini lan party that you don't spend 5 hours travelling to or setting up. In a way, I'm saying that these games are intentionally dumbed down to get 'in to' because people playing around at their mates house (and after a few beers) won't necessarily have the time or inclination to spend n hours learning it. e.g. Do you think Il-2 would be a multiplayer console hit? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

On the flipside, I also spent a lot of time on GTA:SA...one of the greatest and absorbing games ever produced IMO...and certainly better than almost all PC games I've ever played.

x6BL_Brando
09-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Are we going to lose are choice of buying pc games? Are we faced with buying our favorite game's over the internet with a slow dial up?

Surely even a dial-up connection doesn't prevent people from buying a game on CD or DVD while online? I don't know of many titles that aren't available to buy this way from some E-store or another.

Most of the small earthbound 'gamestores' are just that, small. You don't have to understand retail policy in depth to see that they want to fill their shelves, and limited storage space, with items most likely to sell quickly. And those are of course console games. And console peripherals. Their marketing people understand that PC gamers are far more likely to buy online, in some way or another, just because they can. So they plump for their best option, which is selling console games to the young market.

Just a fact of marketing-life - I don't think there's much more to extrapolate from it.

B.

Xiolablu3
09-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by F6_Ace:
How do you know it's dumbed down unless you play both all the way through? (Or someone reviews it and says so?)

I have played both all the way thru. Dues Ex 1 3 times, Deus Ex 2 twice.

Dues Ex 1 is by far the better game in my opinon.

TheGozr
09-13-2006, 05:02 PM
The refresh rate is so slow on consoles like Halo just take a mouse mod and pan around it's ridiculous, outrageaous..

Xiolablu3
09-13-2006, 05:12 PM
One of the reasons that PC has so much more innovation, is becasue everyone can learn to program a PC, so much of the development tools are Public Domain.

Young programmers like Jon Carmack (First FPS programmer with Wolfenstein 3d/Doom, PC only. How many games have copied this style now?) or the COunterstrike developers, Goose and Cliffe can make their own games or mod others to make new ideas.

For a console game , you need a development kit which costs over 1000. Therefore its the big franchises which only care about making money and not so much about the game itself who make console games.

I am pretty sure this is why there is so much more creativity and innovation in PC gaming.

When I go to my friends house and see them all playing a console game, I rarely feel an urge to play them, the games just look so shallow. If I do play, I am bored with 15 minutes. A quick button bashing session on the latest Tekken is OK I guess, but I like something which taxes the brain, with a big explorable world in which you can use numerous paths amd develop your character how you like. Games like Oblivion, Boiling Point, Opertaion Flashpoint or Dues Ex 1.

STALKER looks great.

Operation Flashpoint was amazing, I missed that off my list. MAasive explorable world with multiple ways to complete missions. (Steal that tank, take your team in on foot, Take out the AAA first and then steal a helicopter. A game like this could only be made for PC.

Again, from a young upstart Czech develper who had no standing in the gaming world. Thank God for the PC.

OldMan____
09-13-2006, 06:44 PM
PC is not dying platform. Not a single console game ever gave so much profit as WOW gives to blizzard today.

OldMan____
09-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by WWSensei:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MucusG:
I am curious what the video card manufactures (Nvidia, ATI) must think about the decline in PC gaming, ...

In the case of ATI they end up developing the video chipsets for the XBox and PS3... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NVIDIA is the one developing the PS3 graphic unit.

Xiolablu3
09-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Consoles Vs PC's

Spice Girls vs Pink Floyd anyone?

panther3485
09-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Consoles Vs PC's

Can I watch the Spice Girls with Pink Floyd dubbed over the top? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Xiolablu3
09-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by panther3485:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Consoles Vs PC's

Can I watch the Spice Girls with Pink Floyd dubbed over the top? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I KNEW I should have changed 'Spice Girls' with 'New Kid on The Block' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

carguy_
09-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Fallout - a post nuclear role playing game.

Xiolablu3
09-14-2006, 11:00 AM
The sequel to Far Cry, Crysis, is doubtful for consoles.

The developers said

'A console version would come much much later, if at all'

'PC is our focus right now, we were born there and we want to showcase what we can do there'

Scen
09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Real reason for the decline is Money Money Money. PC games are far more complex to create and support because of all the hardware differences.

Consoles are hot and make up a much larger portion of the gaming business.

Most developers are aiming at all the new consoles not PCs

Xiolablu3
09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Scen:
Real reason for the decline is Money Money Money.

One of the prime reasons I think most console games suck. They are designed to make you think 'WOW!!' when you see them in the shop or on TV. But then you get them home to find there is not much substance under the graphics.

COnsoles can have the 'Big Gun' developers where money is the prime motivator in their games.

I will keep the smaller 'innovators' like 1C, Valve, Crytek team, STALKER team etc.

F6_Ace
09-14-2006, 11:58 AM
X - you're making the mistake that console games are aimed at the same market segment as PC games.

They're not.

And, as such, suggesting that one is somehow better than the other is largely irrelevant.

Besides, a lot of publishers make money out of console games that could use to prop up 'less profitable' elements of their portfolio.

Xiolablu3
09-14-2006, 07:12 PM
I just much prefer PC games.

Thats all I am trying to say.

Hope it never dies as I platform.

ImpStarDuece
09-14-2006, 10:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F6_Ace:

probably cheaper, considering the vast numbers they must order. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got to disagree here. I used to work for a couple of different wine growers, including one quite major one. Similar situtation: relatively homegenous packaging being mass markets and mass distributed.

Labeling costs, including design, printing ect, ect could run up to between 10% and 20% of the cost of a $20 Aussie dollar wine. Distribution costs were roughly similar, although the couple of companies I worked for sold most of their product in the EU.

Distribution, labelling and marketing of any physical product is EXPENSIVE. I'd wouldn't be suprised to see it reach $5-10 per copy or higher for the add-ons. You've got the box, case, manuals, boxing, shipping and distribution costs and they all add up to a lot of money.

polak5
09-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by WB_Outlaw:
Here in Houston Best Buy and Circuit City still carry a good selection of PC games but EB Games has very few. Like airjunkie said, just a tiny little rack and then a bin of used games.

--Outlaw.

Yea im over in Baytown and the same has happend here. I got to talking to one of the guys ther the other day and he was pretty much telling me what Spiffyscimitar was saying.

JFC_Rautaristi
09-15-2006, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:

Got to disagree here. I used to work for a couple of different wine growers, including one quite major one. Similar situtation: relatively homegenous packaging being mass markets and mass distributed.

Labeling costs, including design, printing ect, ect could run up to between 10% and 20% of the cost of a $20 Aussie dollar wine. Distribution costs were roughly similar, although the couple of companies I worked for sold most of their product in the EU.

Distribution, labelling and marketing of any physical product is EXPENSIVE. I'd wouldn't be suprised to see it reach $5-10 per copy or higher for the add-ons. You've got the box, case, manuals, boxing, shipping and distribution costs and they all add up to a lot of money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And before the DVD-cases there were these huge boxes. You must remember these...

And for example the Red Baron II manual. Perfect, even the history overview (i actually read it and it was useful in school!) took a lot space, if not most of it. Now you have the manuals on the cd/dvd as a pdf. I've once opened a manual like that, wont do it again.

WTE_Googly
09-15-2006, 06:15 AM
There is only one console game that I really play, and that is singstar, lots of fun after a few beers, cranking Elvis http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Apparantly that beach volleyball game is nice too, with the 'bouncing' physics http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But PC ftw anyday, I'd sooner play a good engaging game that requires a bit of thought http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif