PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play IL2 on laptop?

GunnyHighway99
08-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Hello,

I've been looking around for a new laptop, but I've heard that some games don't play/look as well on laptops.

1) Does anyone have any practical experience playing IL2 on their laptops as far as how the graphics look, is there any freezing, lag, etc.?

2) Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for specifications-wise when looking for a laptop that will run IL2 efficiently?

Thanks!!

stanford-ukded
08-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Laptops can definitely handle IL2. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend. What's your budget?

igitur70
08-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi,

I play Il 2 on a HP pavilion, 512Mb ram and a radeon x600 graphic card, all settings on "excellent". Perfect settings are a bit loud, but I believe that todays laptops have 1GB ram at least, so there is no problem at all.

tagTaken2
08-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by GunnyHighway99:
1) Does anyone have any practical experience playing IL2 on their laptops as far as how the graphics look, is there any freezing, lag, etc.?
Thanks!!

The only issues I can think of with laptop graphics is that the LCD screens can be of a lower quality than a standalone- you may experience ghosting, so check the response time, and that graphics drivers won't be updated.

ImMoreBetter
08-22-2007, 09:30 AM
I installed Il2 onto my friends laptop.

Of course, it ran better than it did on my big computer.

DKoor
08-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by stanford-ukded:
Laptops can definitely handle IL2. +1

Heck many laptops are way better than my current rig.

Mercwolf2
08-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi

I ran it on a Dell 5150 1 gig ram and a 64meg nvidia card. It ran okay unless there was alot of planes on screen then it got a bit laggy. The only issue I had was trying to get it to play online as there was a conflict issue that I was not able to figure out so it kept timing me out after playing online for 10 minutes.

Billy_BigBoy
08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
I did. On a AMD 2800+ mobile and 64mb ATI the original forgotten battles + pacific fighters was playable. But after all those patches lately and 1946 I'm beginning to have too much problems.

Wurkeri
08-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I've run Il-2 on a Compaq nx9420, does pretty well with Ati X1600 graphics.

bombcrater
08-22-2007, 04:01 PM
I run it on my HP Pavilion (DV1000).
Maxed out the ram (1Gig IIRC?) & it runs fine.

DIRTY-MAC
08-22-2007, 04:38 PM
no problems here either

GunnyHighway99
08-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by stanford-ukded:
Laptops can definitely handle IL2. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend. What's your budget?

Looking to spend about $1100...

Choctaw111
08-22-2007, 05:23 PM
When I was deployed to the Balkans, about 5 years ago, I had a good buddy who had a laptop so I took my copy of Il2 with me and when we had downtime I played it on his machine...with the ARROW KEYS!!!!!! I was desperate. It ran just fine even back then.

dangerlaef
08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Apple Macbook:
2 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB RAM

Runs fast with directX Maxed out.

Raptor22ADF
08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I have everything maxxed out on my HP dv9000t w/2ghz Core 2 Duo, 2gb RAM, 512mb Nvidia 7600.

17" high-resolution screen makes for some easy-on-the-eyes fun.

You'll still need a joystick, though. Neither mouse nor trackpad were designed for flight.

TX-Gunslinger
08-23-2007, 04:55 PM
I have a lot of experience with IL2 on laptops. But, unfortunately not in the 1100 range.

Currently I have an Dell XPS-1710 with 512MB Go 7800 GTX. It's my work computer. I have a Dell Docking Station at work and one at home with 24" 1920X1200 Dell 2407 Flat Panels and that's what I play the game on 98% of the time. I have 4MB of RAM in this system, which is not necessary for IL2.

I have played in hotels while on travel when necessary. The native 17" screen is very very good - however the challenge in hotels is joystick - rudder - throttle placement which can be very problematic.

On this type system I can get frames over 100 fps consistently at 1152 X 864 on almost all maps. Don't ever run higher than this res if you want to remain competitive in online play with icons off.

One problem that I recently ran into was that my frames rates dropped down to single digits at times. I tried many, many things which did not work - until I finally noticed that the frame rates were great at the beginning of play - slowing down after a few minutes of flying.

After I figured out this pattern, I took a can of compressed air and blew the dust out of the ventilation ports - did not seem that dusty on visual inspection. Whola! My frames climbed back up to 100 and stayed there.

Laptop can be a great solution - however you need one that has a pretty capable video card or it's not worth the bother. Problem with that requirement is that we are way outside 1100 dollars unless you buy it used.

S~

Gunny

tagTaken2
08-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by TX-Gunslinger:

I have played in hotels while on travel when necessary. The native 17" screen is very very good - however the challenge in hotels is joystick - rudder - throttle placement which can be very problematic.
Gunny

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

You cart around a HOTAS and rudder pedals?

TX-Gunslinger
08-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Afraid to admit it - but yes. To make matters worse - My HOTAS is a Cougar w/UberIINxt mod. I have a suitcase that I use with Foam padding - taking the Cougar apart to a degree - and padding it heavily with foam.

I only do this now when there is a critical Team event or when I'm away from home for at least two weeks. Last time I did this was July 06 during a TeamUSA versus Team Greece match. This is what it looked like:
https://webspace.utexas.edu/joem/TUSA-hardware/TUSAvsTeamGreece-Hotelsm.jpg

It takes some practice and improvisation to place controls in an optimum environment - as you can see I'm using phone books and end tables moved around the room.

The trouble I had on this trip was that I was that since I now carry my Cougar/TrackIR/XKeys in a carry-on bag packed with foam (CH Pro rudder pedals go in checked baggage) - I have to go through security. Even with U.S. Navy Civilian ID card, they spend a long time on the Cougar. Just can't believe it's a game stick. Now that they are focused on toothpaste and hair gel, I believe I'll get through easier.

The first time I tried this - I checked my gear in a suitcase. Even though I padded everything heavily - my Cougar Throttle got broken in half and the pot to my elevator trim rotary was broken off the shaft. At home I have a spare - however a bit of super glue and I was able to fly the event... I included this picture to show another "adaptation" for flying controls. This was on an older Dell XPS.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/joem/TUSA-hardware/gunshotelsetup.jpg

Both of these hotel rooms were pretty crappy, but had great internet connections (that's why I stayed there). The best place I've found is the Residence Inn - every one I've stayed in has pull-out drawers in the desks. This is best, as you can pull out the left drawer - and drop your Throttle in there - pull out the right drawer and put the Joystick there. Now your controls are where they should be - just below the table surface - and just above your legs.

Bottom line - if you ever try this is to use a padded carrying case which you carry on, especially for you throttle and joystick. That way nothing gets thrown around and everything stays at normal human temperatures.

The greatest challenge is in getting your controls set up to the way you are used to them - with respect to seating and location of throttle and joystick. If you take the trouble to recreate the locations that your used to then you can perform just as well as at home.

Anyway - since you asked http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S~

Gunny

tagTaken2
08-26-2007, 08:11 AM
I salute your commitment. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
I went to a considerable amount of trouble once moving my desktop box 3500km, and hiring monitor and inputs for the two months I was interstate. But I'd be too concerned about my hardware to do it regularly- particularly my near-irreplaceable MSFFB2.

I have that graphics card in my laptop too. The Radeon Mobility series rock pretty hard.