PDA

View Full Version : Extend the duration of throwing knives or stack bonuses on chase kills?

Citizen War
04-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey there.
I'm suggesting something, either for AC3's multiplayer (if it resembles this at all...) or as a scoring mechanics change for one of the gametypes in AC:B. I think that some bonuses should stack on top of chase kills - including poison, acrobatic, aerial, and diversion. I also think that a successful kill on a target affected by throwing knives should give a small bonus.

Strategies change when you start to play Manhunt or even Alliance competitively in this game and your team just wants that "W" under its belt. Many teams choose to run rather than stun to deprive the other team of offensive score. I used to feel nervous about divulging this info but it is obviously public knowledge. This running strategy wouldn't work on say, Siena; but it definitely has its uses on many of the maps.

The defensive team can run far and get its abilities back then smoke etc., - not only getting a stun but also an escape.

While the low scoring of chase kills would seem to encourage stealth, pure stealth is simply not possible on certain maps against the running strategy in games amongst the better grand masters. Teamwork is necessary but your score is still reduced. On top of that, you are encouraged to do the same thing to the other team.

One of the few strategies available against point starving is throwing knives - and yet these only slow down a target to give you an opportunity for a silent or discreet. i suggest that throwing knives give a small bonus of their own. They are harder to master than most abilities and really fun when used correctly. If anything, a bonus could be given when a target in a "chase" is hit by throwing knives and killed. Either that, or the duration of throwing knives should be extended.

What do you y'all think?

Ritzy-Cat
04-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I think stacking bonuses on chase kills would be unfair. That would further cause more people to run and roof, because getting an aerial-acrobatic chase kill is not really fair. The Running Strategy, if performed well can be successful. There are ways to counter that with good teamwork. In a way, depriving the other team of score is similar to scoring yourself, assuming they can make it up offensively. The only idea of yours I'd possibly consider is to give throwing knives a bonus. Maybe just +50, or something. Nice ideas, though

YourInnate
04-15-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't believe in voting, but I wouldn't mind 50 points for killing a crippled player.

E1_ASES1N0
04-15-2011, 09:45 PM
i like the idea of extending the knives, thats it, and maybe a small score for killing them.

Zombie Izzardx
04-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I actually don't think you should get ANY bonuses for a chase kill. If your going to chase someone you shouldn't be able to get a 1100 point kill.

Archybad
04-16-2011, 02:56 AM
I think you should be able to get the situational bonuses in a chase (poacher, saviour, revenge, etc.) but I don't think anything else should count (especially co-op kill).

A bonus for throwing knives would be a great idea but only for 75pts like diversion. I don't use throwing knives but I'd assume 5 seconds would be long enough to catch up to them. I also think the bonus should only count if you use knives after entering the chase or without entering a chase though. If you throw knives and then enter a chase there should be no bonus, just like you can get a hidden while discreet but not if you passed over silent.

Seriously these were great ideas so well done, you managed to make me think maybe chase kills could be fun again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Rakudaton
04-16-2011, 03:48 AM
My views:

ACROBATIC -- The problem with this is that the game's acrobatic collision detection is dreadful. Once I was three or four metres to my pursuer's left and about the same above him, and suddenly I'm dead. I *hate* acrobatic bonuses. The only time I think you should get it should be for dragging someone off a roof from below, like Ezio, because it's sort of stealthy.

AERIAL -- Well, getting an aerial kill massively extends the range you can assassinate them, so it's to your advantage anyway... not sure if you should get a bonus, but I don't mind either way.

DIVERSION -- yes. Diversion kill bonus is good.

POISON -- NO! The point of the poison bonus is "wow! You performed an uber-stealthy kill!". If you chase someone, you're not being stealthy. You're not getting the points for the poison per se; you're getting the points for the person dropping dead without their killer being obvious.

THROWING KNIVES BONUS -- No. Just no. If I get hit with knives in a chase, it slows me down massively, meaning my pursuer will almost certainly get me. Why then should you get a bonus as well, when all you've done is used an ability to make it easier for you? Poison kills are more difficult to do but bag better points; gun kills are easier but get fewer points. Why should there be an ability which makes it easier to kill AND gets more points?

obliviondoll
04-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Getting Diversion for killing when you're in a chase defeats the purpose of Diversion.

You start the chase, then herd the target to a teammate who get a good kill on them. You get MORE points for not killing them (125 vs. 100), and you add a bonus to your teammate's kill.

By the way, 125 is because if you're doing it right, Diversion comes with Co-Op as well - remember BOTH players get both these bonuses - you get +75 for being in a chase, AND your teammate gets +75 for getting a NON-chase kill on the target. You get +50 for locking, your teammate gets +50 for trusting your lock.

Knives are best used from above to get your Focus bonus, or when your target is climbing, mid-jump between rooftops, or otherwise in position to be knocked down by them. The duration is more than enough for these purposes, and they give you a chance to wait for Silent to return if you've been careful and stayed at Discreet status (same way Smoke can).

Already powerful enough, imo. If they gave extra bonuses, I'd have too much of an advantage over a skilled pure stealth player.