PDA

View Full Version : Problems with IL2 demo

sterhigh
06-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the IL2 community and recently downloaded the demo off of the website. I used the demo on the 800x600 and at different lengths of time in the missions, any mission, it just shuts down my computer, completely shuts down.

Does anyone know what is happening? Is it the demo or my computer? Little help, thanks guys.

sterhigh

sterhigh
06-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the IL2 community and recently downloaded the demo off of the website. I used the demo on the 800x600 and at different lengths of time in the missions, any mission, it just shuts down my computer, completely shuts down.

Does anyone know what is happening? Is it the demo or my computer? Little help, thanks guys.

sterhigh

Taylortony
06-22-2006, 05:56 PM
try changing from dirext x to open gl or vice versa.......... also try different sound settings as well, they can cause it........ the demo though is of the very first version, so much has changed since then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sterhigh
06-22-2006, 06:08 PM
I'll try that, thanks. But I won't have to worry about this with FB and AEP, right?

Sillius_Sodus
06-22-2006, 06:59 PM
The IL2 series is pretty stable, but if you still encounter problems, this is the best place to get answers. It's best to post these kinds of questions in the Community Help Forum.

One more soul lost to this sim...

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

VW-IceFire
06-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Yep the whole series is pretty stable. The only caveat of the whole thing is that the series is an excellent stress test for your computer. If something is wrong with it in software or hardware its likely to find it. Not because its poorly written but because it leverages every bit of capability your machine should have.

Because the machine is shutting down it may indicate a heat issue. You may want to clean out the heat sink on your processor and video card if its been a while.

tjaika1910
06-23-2006, 03:54 AM
Yes this sim is amazingly stable. After 3-4 years I have NEVER had any hickup. But then again, I have tweaked the PC around this sim.

Taylortony
06-23-2006, 04:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sterhigh:
I'll try that, thanks. But I won't have to worry about this with FB and AEP, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, if you are looking at buying FB and AEP I would suggest you go for the new DVD, that has all of the games on, FB AEP AND Pacific Fighters, with more or less all of the patches, it will do one big load and you will get things like carriers to land on, Spitfires, Corsairs, Zeros, Hellcats, Mustangs, Half the Russian Airforce and several twin engined bombers like the B25, Dinah, A20, BF110 and beaufighter etc..

There are a couple of places in the US selling it, but it was not released as a DVD there.. if Europe you will have no probs getting it....

sterhigh
06-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I think the problem was the overheating. I put my PC (laptop) on a raised box that allowed air to circulate underneath and it worked great. Thanks.

I am planning on getting the AEP gold pack. I would get the whole thing with PF but my puter only has 496 RAM andthat falls short of the 512 needed. THanks for the help guys.

sterhigh

VW-IceFire
06-23-2006, 04:42 PM
496 ram because the other bit is being used by a shared video RAM setup probably. Laptops are not the greatest for gaming...but if you're going to get anything in this series you might as well get the DVD pack and get the whole thing. The extra few MB of ram isn't going to make a huge difference either way...the game will take as much as you can throw at it. You can probably upgrade to 1GB fairly easily anyways.

But FB, AEP, and PF are all a bit higher in requirements than the original IL-2 and the IL-2 demo so you will have to try and tweak things for performance.

Xiolablu3
06-23-2006, 07:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sterhigh:
Thanks for the help guys. I think the problem was the overheating. I put my PC (laptop) on a raised box that allowed air to circulate underneath and it worked great. Thanks.

I am planning on getting the AEP gold pack. I would get the whole thing with PF but my puter only has 496 RAM andthat falls short of the 512 needed. THanks for the help guys.

sterhigh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi there.

Dont get the gold pack. Try and get the complete edition DVD.

Its only 19.99 and has all you need for playing online execpt the last PE2 addon which is only 10.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=135670

You can get the whole series for 29.99 if you do it like that and trust me, online play is where this game is at, you will never look back. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif No game comes close to the value for money that this game gives, if you play online.

If you get the Gold pack you will only get FB+Aces Expansion Pack and there are not many people playing online with just these two.

Its a case of 1000's of people to play with (if you get the complete edition) or barely enough to fill a server (if you dont).