PDA

View Full Version : Unusual occurence with mission recorder.

JamesBlonde888
09-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Over the weekend I was playing the original Il-2.

I saved a .trk after a particularly succesful mission (4 Stukas and a 190 destroyed) so I could look it over as you do.

For some reason the .trk showed my a/c flying into the ground after the enemy 190's appeared.

This happened on the Caucasus map an I am wondering if it has something to do with the mountains. I am wondering if I have entered the twilight zone? Anyone with a theory or explanation of this would be welcome to voice it here.

(By the way, I was sober and not 'chemically enhanced')

Really REALLY peeved.

VW-IceFire
09-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Answer: TRK's are generally not that great at recording what happened and instances such as what you've described are semi-frequent. NTRK does a better job (you have to bind keys to start and stop recording).

F19_Ob
09-25-2006, 05:37 AM
As icefire said, the TRK's doesn't work well allways.
It used to but the simulation has got increasingly complex during these years and when rewriting codes some things may not longer be so compatible any more (I've been told).

NTRK's still work fine but becomes much larger in filesize. TRK's usually are only a few Kb's but NTRK's can get many mb's.

NTRK's however can be saved and used with newer patches or versions of the sim, wich TRK's can not.
I still have some NTRK's from online fights from many years ago that can be played. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Kuna_
09-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Generally speaking they have a good chance to work right *if* map isn't too populated.

On some maps even that doesn't help. Try the Pacific Islands QMB and record a mission in TRK format. You can have only 5 planes *without* any AA and it is highly likely that you'll get a bad recording.

Naturally to prevent this, always use recording while in game - or NRTK format (online format). That never fails, although from time to time it can get a bit desynced (shooting few meters above the enemy a/c but still hitting on the recording etc.).
Point is they will never get $crewed as TRKs.

Also acceleration/deceleration also does bad things to tracks. Do not use it if you have intention to record stuff.

JamesBlonde888
09-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the helpful comments.

I was wondering what the hell was going on!

stathem
09-26-2006, 04:31 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the original Il2 didn't do .ntrk.

Philipscdrw
09-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the original Il2 didn't do .ntrk.
The NTRKs appeared with FB, I think. v2.00 and onwards.

BBB_Hyperion
09-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Time acceleration can give different results than original on playback of trk files.

heywooood
10-01-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah that and switching views alot seems to affect them.

FritzGryphon
10-01-2006, 06:26 PM
A malfuctioning trk file is not unusual.

A trk that works properly is unusual.

JamesBlonde888
10-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Funny, I have had hardly any problems. Sometimes I get an error message saying the track is corrupt but when I get one to work it is usually pretty good.