PDA

View Full Version : attacking!!!

Leafs13
03-06-2008, 12:03 PM
ok I know Ive heard how to do this exactly but every time its different so can somebody please tell me when do you press the button.

I hold square and I attack him then I press it again when exactly to get the combo. ive done it like 3 times but im not sure how

thanks guys I appreciate it.

ZmeySPB
03-06-2008, 02:28 PM
You attack then at the exact moment where the swords clash you press square again

Leafs13
03-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Im starting to do it better but sometimes they block 2 attacks and it takes me 3 ,4 or even 5 times to murder there necks

Malidictus
03-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Here's how I understand it:

You rarely get to cut your enemies, but banging on their swords DOES take from their lives. Bang long enough and their health goes down low enough for a kill combo to... Well, kill them.

By comparison, enemies who fence and deflect your sword to the side are NOT taking damage, and you can fence with them all day long if you like. That's what Guard Break is for, though it works against normal blocks, as well.

Look at yourself. When in high-profile mode, you deflect all incoming attacks just standing there, thus taking no damage. However, in low-profile mode, you just just block so that the enemy is pounding on your sword. It LOOKS like you should be protecting yourself, but you take a bar of damage per hit, anyway. You take considerably more when you do take a sword to the face, such as when a Templar does a Guard Break on you.

In simple terms, tougher enemies have more health and you need to bang longer before you can perform a combo kill, or even a parry-kill. High-health enemies are the one that take a boot to the arse, rather than a sword to the gut, but kick them enough times and the next counter is bloody. Keep banging and eventually you'll cut them. Or they'll just run out of health...

Watch for parrying guards, though - those won't go down.

blarson11
03-09-2008, 08:30 PM
you can perform a combo kill w/o having first damaged your opponents. sometimes when you swing your sword it will down the enemies sword, other times it hits it flat and kinda bounces off. to do a combo kill wait until you land a blow that bounces off the guards sword rather then sliding down it. as soon as the sword makes contact with your enemies sword, tap the square button. it takes a while to get the timing right, but once you do you see some of the best fight animations in the game.

Malidictus
03-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your sword "slide off" enemies who are in their defensive stance? Because if I have that right, enemies in defensive stance can only be affected by Grabs and by Guard Breaks, much the same as Altair when he's defending, and like the guys in the arena Practice Fight.

When an enemy is in defensive stance (High Profile), your attacks slide off and combos are impossible. When your enemy is in aggressive mode (low profile), your attacks bounce. I've fought the battle of Arsuf over a dozen times (kept dying) and I've never, ever been able to pull off an insta-kill on any of the soldiers there. They'd only go down after 10 bangs or at least a couple of kick-parries.

I'm not exactly sure enemies HAVE the same modes as Altair, but I DO know that high-level enemies won't guard long before they parry, so if I see my sword sliding off, I break my attack. Don't fancy getting a fist to the nose, or worse yet, a sword to the noggin. Signature enemies do that a lot. I do, however, know that enemies standing there, looking at you with their swords stretched out far forward are defending and are thus harder to hit with direct attacks. Templars who do that parry a lot.

blarson11
03-09-2008, 09:05 PM
it does slide off of enemies who are in their defensive stance. it also does the "bounce". if you are attacking the guard what is he doing but defending? if he isnt defending, then you will land a blow to his body, which a combo kill works off of as well (forgot to mention that earlier). so it is just as effective and likely to happen to a guard in a defensive stance as it is a guard taking a more aggressive stance.

Malidictus
03-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Look at how that works on you, though - If you're in High Profile mode, you parry and take no damage. If you're in low profile mode, you block, but you DO take damage. I can die, and have died, from nothing but blocked attacks because I was too aggressive in attacking.

Considering that I cannot attack while in the same mode as my guard is found, I suspect guards need to drop their guard to attack, as well. I'll need to watch if their stance changes when they close in for an attack. I've found it's easy to tell the ones moving in from the ones hanging back, so that should be easy to spot, now that I know what I'm looking for.