PDA

View Full Version : 'The server just called me an arrogant b*****d': a short comedy

AndyJWest
08-04-2009, 09:07 AM
'The server just called me an arrogant b*****d': a short comedy
.................................................. ............................

(A note to moderators: I know this is pushing it a bit, but it's just too good to censor surely? And it actually happened...)

The scene: a nameless HL furball server, about an hour ago.

The players: Myself, in my rather elegant Spit IX; several other pilots in mixed furball crates, all of mixed competence (i.e. better than me); Pilot 'X'; The Server.

Scene one - a dogfight: opens as usual with me attempting to BnZ on a Ki-84, missing, and losing out in the ensuing dogfight. Usual pleasantries exchanged.

Enter Pilot X, as indicated by successive messages: 'Server: Player X has entered the game', 'Server: Arrogant B*****D' - server kicks X.

'Player X has entered the game' again, 'Arrogant B*****D': server kicks X again.

Third attempt, server calls him a 'p**t' instead, before kicking him. Leads to discussion of meaning of word, After getting it wrong I check in dictionary (I've climbed to 2500m just to watch), and issue correction.

This continues several more times. Server informs us he could ban X, but it's more fun like this...

'X' left online long enough to complain 'The server just called me a b*****d'.

A N Other 'I didn't see anything...'.

'X': 'It called me a b*****d'.

Server: '3'
Server: '2'
long pause...
Server: '1'

Player X is kicked again, then rejoins again, complains again...

Me, wiping tears from eyes: 'Server AI is very clever'.

A N Other, giving the game away: 'Doesn't he know server admin can enter messages online...'

At this point I could barely fly, so after wasteing all my ammo on an F4U (yes, it's that sort of server), I have to land (several times before the spit stopped bouncing), make excuses and leave.

This, to the best of my recollection, is how it happened. Real, Authentic, and the unembellished truth...

AndyJWest
08-04-2009, 09:07 AM
'The server just called me an arrogant b*****d': a short comedy
.................................................. ............................

(A note to moderators: I know this is pushing it a bit, but it's just too good to censor surely? And it actually happened...)

The scene: a nameless HL furball server, about an hour ago.

The players: Myself, in my rather elegant Spit IX; several other pilots in mixed furball crates, all of mixed competence (i.e. better than me); Pilot 'X'; The Server.

Scene one - a dogfight: opens as usual with me attempting to BnZ on a Ki-84, missing, and losing out in the ensuing dogfight. Usual pleasantries exchanged.

Enter Pilot X, as indicated by successive messages: 'Server: Player X has entered the game', 'Server: Arrogant B*****D' - server kicks X.

'Player X has entered the game' again, 'Arrogant B*****D': server kicks X again.

Third attempt, server calls him a 'p**t' instead, before kicking him. Leads to discussion of meaning of word, After getting it wrong I check in dictionary (I've climbed to 2500m just to watch), and issue correction.

This continues several more times. Server informs us he could ban X, but it's more fun like this...

'X' left online long enough to complain 'The server just called me a b*****d'.

A N Other 'I didn't see anything...'.

'X': 'It called me a b*****d'.

Server: '3'
Server: '2'
long pause...
Server: '1'

Player X is kicked again, then rejoins again, complains again...

Me, wiping tears from eyes: 'Server AI is very clever'.

A N Other, giving the game away: 'Doesn't he know server admin can enter messages online...'

At this point I could barely fly, so after wasteing all my ammo on an F4U (yes, it's that sort of server), I have to land (several times before the spit stopped bouncing), make excuses and leave.

This, to the best of my recollection, is how it happened. Real, Authentic, and the unembellished truth...

blairgowrie
08-04-2009, 10:04 AM
What server was this on Andy? Not UBI I hope.

AndyJWest
08-04-2009, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blairgowrie:
What server was this on Andy? Not UBI I hope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was a HyperLobby server, but I think it had better remain unnamed.

There had been a fair bit of friction online in the last few days, with accusations of vulching etc. What 'X' had done to offend the server providers I have no idea. Personally, I think that you need a sense of humour to play in a context like this: If you take it seriously you will soon get too wound up to enjoy yourself, and end up blowing your top...

Crash_Moses
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I have the same problem with the Ubi forums. I barely type half a post and then I get

MD_Titus
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
priceless