PDA

View Full Version : Myst 5.......(mild spoilers on Myst lore-mszv)

GasperMyst
10-14-2004, 12:47 PM
After playing through Riven again and seeing the number 5 everywhere!!!!! Shouldn't they bring Riven back for Myst V: The Return to Riven! =P Just a thought. Bring Ghen back, Bring all the characters back for that matter =P. And in the end let us see reeleshan!

saboger71
10-14-2004, 01:06 PM
@GasperMyst:

Cool idea. I would like to see something like that...

Blue Max
10-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Riven was such a fantastic Age, and Game, of course.

Too bad it was destroyed... No going back for a t-shirt, I'm afraid. Not and screw up the storyline history, anyhow.

[EDIT: taking care of a typo. That's all.]

Freesert
10-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Dumb question with Myst 4 very new in game terms is there a Myst 5 in the works?

Free

10-15-2004, 05:28 PM
If they ever do decide to make a Myst finale, the user ought to be required to write the ending, to complete it. Sorry, but "the ending has not yet been written," is starting to bear all too close a resemblance to "there can be only one." Love the game, but when Catherine reads the line aloud, as inscribed on the deck of there Tomahna bedroom, it was all I could do not to groan. Love the series!... gettin' tired of the one-liner theme http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Freesert
10-16-2004, 07:59 AM
We know it has to end sometime after all look what yessha becomes in a few years. No offence but i can't take another game or two with the less then uplifting ending but it has to end sometime and when it does i hope its an unforgetable ending.

Free

mschief02
10-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Yes, I want to see where I came from?!?! I remember seeing that book in Thomana(Exile). Supposedly where I came from? Wait those questions don't sound right.. lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Belboz99
10-16-2004, 11:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mschief02:
Yes, I want to see where I came from?!?! I remember seeing that book in Thomana(Exile). Supposedly where I came from? Wait those questions don't sound right.. lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I belive we came from earth, the surface of it.

I'm not sure how the star fissure leads to the surface of the Earth, that doesn't make much sense to me. But from what I know, the original Myst started when the book fell into the fissure, with Atrus full well knowing that it would not be destroyed. (How?)

From there, we find the book, at the very beginning of Myst. Where we are on earth I don't know, and I don't think we are supposed to. Supposedly it's night time, hence the dark surroundings. We put our hand on the page of the book and travel to Myst.

In myst we find out that both of his sons had something to do with the destoryed ages, and in the process, find a book that leads to D'ni, where Atrus is trapped with a sabatoged book. We fix the book, which frees Atrus, who destroys the linking books to his son's prison ages, and comes back to tell us that he can't send us back.

So, we "hang out" in Myst for several years until Atrus decides he has a plan to free his wife Catherine. In the process, we fall back into the fissure and we go home. Now this is where it gets fuzzy for me.

First, how do we fall out of a fissure and land on the surface of the earth without getting hurt? Second, how do we get to Tommana? I guess there is still that Myst Linking book on earth, but why would we use it if we have no way back, ever?

So, we travel to Tomanna, find out about this guy who's world has been destroyed, solve that mess (never did finish Exile), and then we go back to Tommanna.

It seems that we travel to Tommana quite often given by the intro to Myst IV. We seem to become quite aquainted with the family. But how are we traveling back and forth from Earth? I can understand traveling from Earth to Myst, that's easy, the book that fell from the fissure in Riven. But, how do we keep on coming back to earth?

Dan O.

maztec
10-16-2004, 11:58 PM
I have to admit I still don't understand the overwhelming love of Riven. A few pretty scenes... but

Grehn
10-17-2004, 06:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freesert:
Dumb question with Myst 4 very new in game terms is there a Myst 5 in the works?

Free <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There sure is! Look for threads mentioning "Something Else".

Maz -
The love of Riven is just more of a vibe than being pretty or challenging. I've played all four games as soon as they've been released - actually having to upgrade (or replace) my PC with each game - and there is just this "property" of the CYAN games (MYST and RIVEN) that doesn't exist with Exile or Revelation. Nothing against Ubi, but how can they possibly capture the blood and spirit of a game once it's already been born into the first two games (and even URU to a large degree) by Robyn, Rand, RAWA, Josh, and the rest of the gang? I feel like I'm really "in the game" when I play them. I have dreams about being on Riven! These games just pull me in like nothing else I've known.

Myst, Riven, and URU are THEIR heart, soul, and imagination and nobody else can reproduce it. It's just the nature of art. Only the original artist can capture (and expand upon) the heart and soul of the magic that brought the original product to life.

OK, I'm sounding kinda sappy now! But that's how I feel. Exile and Revelation just don't have that "Miller Blood" in them - they can't. I feel lost and confused and just not part of these games.

I for one (although there are most likely MULTITUDES) am waiting anxiously for CYAN's "Something Else".

-Grehn

Cierdwyn
10-17-2004, 08:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have to admit I still don't understand the overwhelming love of Riven. A few pretty scenes... but <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Goodness Maz - you might want to slip into invisibility mode after making a statement like that 'round here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Cier http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Terrene
10-17-2004, 11:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But from what I know, the original Myst started when the book fell into the fissure, with Atrus full well knowing that it would not be destroyed. (How?)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Atrus had planned for the book to be destroyed, but as he linked out he saw it still floating along.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So, we "hang out" in Myst for several years until Atrus decides he has a plan to free his wife Catherine <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I figure it was more like a few months, rather than several years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Second, how do we get to Tommana? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We walk. Tomahna is on Earth.

stevecrox
10-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Tomahara is not on Earth, Atrus in Myst 3 mentions how he wrote tomohara to live in while he was writing Releshahn. Thirdly in the very begining of Myst IV with the explosion of the crystal viewer Atrus mentions how he would have to link back to the cleft, while it is possible for a person to link around an age only in the book of d'ni do we see this actually taking place.

Terrene
10-17-2004, 12:58 PM
For some reason Cyan did not want it revealed in Exile that Tomahna was on Earth. In Revelation he did not mention linking to the cleft, he said he would stop by. You can read about it here. (http://www.dpwr.net/archive.php?showarticle=465)

Ian [Atrus]
10-17-2004, 03:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stevecrox:
Tomahara is not on Earth, Atrus in Myst 3 mentions how he wrote tomohara to live in while he was writing Releshahn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong. Nowhere has been stated that Atrus wrote Tomahna; it has only been said that he moved there.

The fact that 'Tomahna' means 'home' and that [mild spoiler] Yeesha says in Uru that the Cleft, where Atrus was born and lived his early years, is in Tomahna should be proof enough that the place is indeed on Earth.

LazerFX
10-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Plus, when you go around the Cleft in Uru, you get to see the telescope from Riven, half-buried in the sand.

Looks like that got there the same way you did, and the same way that everything else d'ni that came from Riven (Or, probably, from elsewhere - is the Star Fissure something external to all worlds?) - by falling through the star fissure.

LaReh
10-17-2004, 05:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
I have to admit I still don't understand the overwhelming love of Riven. A few pretty scenes... but <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think you're missing the bigger picture with Riven, Maz. When Riven was released in 1997, that was when the online community really took off. More and more people were becoming part of the Internet and in finding their way around it, found each other in the Myst/Riven-related web sites, forums, and Cyan Chat.
Riven itself was so much larger, prettier, and difficult than MYST was, that it took on a life of its own. It took many people years to totally finish it. Finding the Easter Eggs alone was incredible puzzle-solving fun.
Riven was where the bigger backstories came to life, the D'ni language and alphabet first revealed, and the gathering of kindred souls cemented into a solid community that exists till this day. So it may be with a touch of rose-colored nostalgia that people remember Riven because it touched our lives in a way that no game had ever done before, including the original MYST.

JeremySwan
10-17-2004, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
I have to admit I still don't understand the overwhelming love of Riven. A few pretty scenes... but <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well of course Riven was pretty, but it was also flawless and the graphics were perfect. Much of all you see and heard was so consistent and relevant to everything. Everything in that version of Myst was there for a reason.

Personnaly it was perfect to me in this Myst Game. The only thing I could say is that maybe only the puzzles were just a bit too difficult, but that's just me. Besides that, its a MASTERPIECE.

SteveCrid
10-17-2004, 06:28 PM
For me, the great thing about Riven is that just about everything in the game had a reason for being there. I've played too many adventure games (including Revelation) where a puzzle seems to have no logical reason for being there, other than to slow you down.

Riven has a nice amount of back story too, which helps to make the world feel real. You got to work out the bigger picture of what was going on without the need for flashbacks courtesy of an amulet (don't get me started http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

ZHorkmeister
10-17-2004, 06:48 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif IMHO .... NO GAME FRANCHISE should ever leave their fans hanging .... hence, even though I HAVE YET TO START PLAYING MYST IV, I will not let the topic of Ghen die completely -- if MYST IV solves the Sirrus / Achenar questions --- then MYST V should solve the Ghen questions .... period - case closed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Cray_Nium
10-18-2004, 04:59 AM
I have to warn you: this post ended up being very long. If you have the fortitute to last it out, please do. I'm sure it's riddled with typos, and I might come back to fix that later. Sorry if they cause any confusion right now.

I was originally planning of splitting some of this up, but since this topic spanned so much, I'll just put it all here. By the way, I'm new here, so hello and all that. Now on to the good stuff.

I'm going to try to explain my view of the franchise thus far, and end by proving that a return to Riven (the actual age, not just as a reference) is not only possible, but essential to the continuation of the Myst storyline.

Right now I have all of the Myst games sitting comfortably in my CD rack next to my computer. I was a little slow in getting the original Myst, but after all, I wasn't even a teenager at that time, so I relied entirely on other people for my PC games, which my parents had only recently allowed me to start playing. Myst came from my grandpa, who bought it and gave up on it after a little while. I was thrilled with it immediately; the idea of creating a world within a book was amazingly appealing to me (and yes, I know that they now are pushing the idea that all ages exist and that the books only create a link to them, but you can't escape the fact that when Myst was originally made that was not the plan. In Myst, the books almost certainly create the ages). I liked every single aspect of Myst, except the ending, which I though was misleading. From what Atrus said I thought there would be SOMETHING new to explore, but there wasn't.

Of course, my wish was granted with the release of Riven, and my enjoyment of the series hit what is probably the peak of its existance. I had hoped for multiple ages to explore again, but to my relief, the one I was given was plenty, and there was event he numeral system which kept me coming back for more after I had finished it (in just about every possible way). Because Riven ended up in basically the same place Myst began, I was not expecting another sequel. But I got one.

I actually didn't realize that Exile was made by a different company until moments before I installed it. I was already doubtful about the continuation of a story that I feld could not break out of the cycle begun by the first two games. Still, I decided to give it a chance, and I don't regret it. I felt that the original designers could not have handled the Myst universe with more reverence than Presto did. I loved Exile, and I, for one, think Saveedro's acting was right on target, even if I do have to turn down my speakers at the end there.

To sum up: Myst I-III were awsome, and right on the mark. Now for the fun part of my argument: URU absolutely KILLED Myst. I admit, I have not finished URU, and have yet to actually start Path of the Shell. But the reason is that I had apprehensions goign into it similar to those I had with Exile, and this time they were substantiated. Not only was I robbed of live actors, the first person I run across is a guy with a beer belly reclining under a trailer and telling me he knows more aobut me than I do. Fat chance. But then I realized something. In URU, I was no longer the same "me" who had toiled through three previous Myst titles for the sake of restoring peace to troubled ages. That old "me" would have to have died close to the time Atrus did, with no closure. For the emphasis URU put on gorunding the series in something concrete, all their efforts ended up reducing your previous character to a ghost that no one could even prove existed. So I was a completely new "me" in Uru. Heck, maybe some idiot who fries his brain cells with alchohol does know more about "me" than I do. I poked around a bit more, was enraged to find Ghen's tlescope on the surface of the earth, and finally just climbed into the cleft, not really caring whether I was skipping some part of th storyline or not.

I'm sorry this is getting long-winded, but I have to say it. I'll try to stop with the narrativ and just hit on the main points now. It really irked me that D'Ni was now supposed to exist somewhere underneath New Mexico. Yeah, the first time you hear it, it's kind of cool, but after that it just shatters the whole MYSTique the series once held. If D'Ni was really on Earth, why couldn't I have just climbed down there to find Atrus in the first Myst? Why couldn't he send me back to where I came from if I only came from a few feet above his head? True enough that this idea made easy sense of how the Star Fissure worked: it jsut dumped everything on Earth. That's how I got the Myst book, and that's how I returned to earth at the end of Riven. And yet, I was still pulled toward the view that the fissure was an etherial link between all ages, and anything that fell into it was sifted into the age where it was most needed. One more note on URU: it's stated somewhere that the people who would hear the call to the DRC did so because they had D'Ni blood in them, from the few D'Ni citizens who moved to the surface. Unfortunately, unless you want to make a very convoluted argument, this means that to have an interest in URU, you have to be on Native American descent, which I am not. I won't go any further into URU, since I didn't play much further into it anyway. I will say that the ages were very bland and dissappointing, especially with all the construction barries.

So I began to lose hope in the franchise. Then I saw the news that Myst IV was in production. I was thrilled. Cyan must have seen tanking sales and gone back to the old ways. My expectations were mostly confirmed with the release. I've played through about half of Revelation (I'm guessing), and for the most part I think it's brilliant. Live actors once again, the robust environments and puzzles like the days of yore. I have only one problem with it, which I had planned to put in another message, but here it is anyway. I was shocked to see that Cyan based their new sequel on something which contradicted an unerpinning of the Myst storyline. Anyone who has played Myst, and particularly those who have see the bad endings, know full well that Sirrus and Achenar never reached any age. The linking books were incomplete - missing entire pages - and could not form a complete link to their ages. If you need more proof, just free one of them and you see what they saw: nothing. In addition to this flaw, niether Sirrus nor Achenar mention the events of Myst in their journals in Revelation. I don't know about you, but if I were imprisoned anywhere and someone almost freed me, I'd be writing about it in any journal I was currently keeping. Finally, if they were so busy hunting, building, gardening, researching odd crystals - whatever - how is it that every time you opened a prison book the library they were immediately there? So I have mixed feelings about Revelation. The ages are magnificent, perhaps even better than those of Exile, certainly as good. But that glaring inaccuracy in the storyline in gripping. Apparently Myst has not yet recovered from the death-blow that was URU. My greatest sorrow is that this error is permanently recorded in the Myst history. URU can be explained away, stripped from the series, but not Revelation. It's error will live on.

So finally, on to Myst 5 and Riven. Hopefully I've sfficiently illuminated the problems Myst has faced since the conception of URU. Interestingly enough, one of these problems will prove uselfull. It was mentioned (although rejected) in Riven, and now seems to be the accepted theory, that the books only link to pre-existing ages, rather than creating them. This view is workable, though barely so, in all of the Myst titles, but runs aground somewhere in Riven. Atrus states that his father wrote "unstable" ages. With Riven as an example, we see that these ages are self-destructive, and act rather quickly on themselves. The question is this: if all ages exist at all times, even before their linking book is written, how is it that these rapidly deterioirating, "unstable" ages were not long destroyed before Ghen ever had the chance to write their links? The only explaination is that, because everything that can exist MUST exist, every time an unstable age collapses, it is momentarily re-born in its original state, similar to the Earth in the "Hitchhiker's Guide" series. This is essential tot he idea that linking books simply link to pre-existing ages, and the continuation of this view neccessitates the re-birth of Riven. Thus, in order to settle the dispute once and for all, we must see Riven once again available to link to. There is a slight problem in that Exile contains Atrus' old Riven book, and by opening it we see that Riven is clearly still destroyed, even years later. There is yet one remaining loophole. The book Atrus used to link you to Riven was one which he heavily modified on order to keep the age alive. If Riven was reborn in its original state, these tamperings would no longet match the age, thus making Atrus' linking book useless for testing the theory of pre-existing ages.

So there you have it. A return to Riven is not only possible, it is essential (thank you, Doctor Strangelove).

Well, I just plopped down a life-time's worth of Myst zealotry. Please comment on this. Of course, I'm prepared to fight to the line over anything in Myst, but I'm not above admitting it if I'm proved wrong. Here's to hoping that Cyan can salvage Myst.

mszv
10-18-2004, 09:59 AM
Hi,
Good posts, and they help me to understand everyone's views.

I'm in the group of people that did not enjoy Riven - perhaps that's rare for a Myst series game fan, I don't know. I do like how Riven looks.

I adore how Myst Revelation extends the story as it was presented in Myst. I always wanted to know what happened to the brothers!

I'm interested in reading more opinions - great thread.

mjkcsb
10-18-2004, 10:12 AM
I do have to agree with the above posts.

First, Riven was a masterpiece. The artwork, the music, the story, the integrated puzzles. Everything fit and created a "real" place, not a contrived place. I felt like I was enveloped in a real world, not simply playing a video game.

Second, I completely agree with the previous post on what a sham Uru was. Why did they set D'ni under new mexico?? In the books, it definately is NOT under NM. Sure they never gave a location in teh books but Atrus watched his grandmother trading with people on camels and made references to Allah. In teh second book, a young anna went to give here fathers geology reports to Amanjira in Tadjinar. She even spoke of seeing no trees ecpet the shallow rooted palms of Tadjinar. This is definately a middle eastern locale.

I think the creators of Uru decided to place in there for convenience of the DRC having easy access to D'ni. This helps in realizing their idea of everyday travelers forming an exploration committee down there. (Plus, they could have clowns keeping journals of Ages sprinkled with notes of football games.)

And yes, Zandi was a horrid character. He sounded like he was drunk or slow witted. And here he is sitting on this amazing discovery and he's sitting on a lawnchair in front of a camper swilling beer. YOu'd think the DRC would at least have a more presentable greeter. Heck, I;ve seen better greeters at Walmart.

And I also agree that all of the ages so far were completely uninspired. I've only been to Teledahn and Gareeshan so far but they left me flat.

Have to admit I picked up this game months ago and could only run it at low resolution and poor framerates so I quickly gave up. Recently ungraded to a P4 with a nice ati 9600xt video card. Now I can max everything and run it at 1024 resolution and still have ti smooth as silk. This fact alone mad ethe game bearable. I'll work through it with liberal walkthrough help just to say I;ve been through it.

Personally, I'm okay with teh idea of D'ni on earth. But artisitically and to keep consistency with teh books, they should have left it in the middle east.

Cray_Nium
10-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Oh, gee, looks like I've changed the thread! I didn't mean to put spoilers in there, honest. I'll try keeping that a little more under control. I know I'd hate it if something was ruined for me.

Terrene
10-18-2004, 04:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If D'Ni was really on Earth, why couldn't I have just climbed down there to find Atrus in the first Myst? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd get lost. D'ni is huge, with quite a few tunnels.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Unfortunately, unless you want to make a very convoluted argument, this means that to have an interest in URU, you have to be on Native American descent, which I am not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, WHAT?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Anyone who has played Myst, and particularly those who have see the bad endings, know full well that Sirrus and Achenar never reached any age. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whole concept of Myst is that the games were based on things that really happened, and that means taking artistic liberties. There are actually no such things as prison books. They were purely an invention of Cyan, so gameplay would be a lot less complicated.

About the unstable ages- well, it's explained a lot better in Book of Atrus than I ever could. Maybe I'll look it up later and quote what Atrus says.

Stedmister
10-18-2004, 10:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Belboz99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mschief02:
Yes, I want to see where I came from?!?! I remember seeing that book in Thomana(Exile). Supposedly where I came from? Wait those questions don't sound right.. lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I belive we came from earth, the surface of it.

I'm not sure how the star fissure leads to the surface of the Earth, that doesn't make much sense to me. But from what I know, the original Myst started when the book fell into the fissure, with Atrus full well knowing that it would not be destroyed. (How?)

From there, we find the book, at the very beginning of Myst. Where we are on earth I don't know, and I don't think we are supposed to. Supposedly it's night time, hence the dark surroundings. We put our hand on the page of the book and travel to Myst.

In myst we find out that both of his sons had something to do with the destoryed ages, and in the process, find a book that leads to D'ni, where Atrus is trapped with a sabatoged book. We fix the book, which frees Atrus, who destroys the linking books to his son's prison ages, and comes back to tell us that he can't send us back.

So, we "hang out" in Myst for several years until Atrus decides he has a plan to free his wife Catherine. In the process, we fall back into the fissure and we go home. Now this is where it gets fuzzy for me.

First, how do we fall out of a fissure and land on the surface of the earth without getting hurt? Second, how do we get to Tommana? I guess there is still that Myst Linking book on earth, but why would we use it if we have no way back, ever?

So, we travel to Tomanna, find out about this guy who's world has been destroyed, solve that mess (never did finish Exile), and then we go back to Tommanna.

It seems that we travel to Tommana quite often given by the intro to Myst IV. We seem to become quite aquainted with the family. But how are we traveling back and forth from Earth? I can understand traveling from Earth to Myst, that's easy, the book that fell from the fissure in Riven. But, how do we keep on coming back to earth?

Dan O. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would wake an exellent book, don't know about game thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anyone who has played Myst, and particularly those who have see the bad endings, know full well that Sirrus and Achenar never reached any age. The linking books were incomplete - missing entire pages - and could not form a complete link to their ages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is ture, but if you pay attention to the beginning of Myst Atrus says "I must write to new linking books tonight one for Spire and the other one for Haven" Oh and Revelation was done buy UBISOFT not Cyan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It really irked me that D'Ni was now supposed to exist somewhere underneath New Mexico <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D'Ni is not under New Mexico only a small group of D'Ni were not the whole civilation. You need to pay attention to deltails if you consider yourself a Myst Fan.

Eat_My_Shortz
10-19-2004, 04:13 AM
OK First of all Tomahna is SO on Earth. I just answered this ona nother thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=311106333&m=6481046132

Cray_Nium:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If D'Ni was really on Earth, why couldn't I have just climbed down there to find Atrus in the first Myst? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because a) you were stuck on Myst, not Earth. b) Its extraordainarily difficult to find the entrance to D'ni. Its inside a Volcano. Only 2 people ever found it - Anna and John Loftin (DRC). The "Myst" player was in between these 2 people.
c) Even if you got there it would be extraordainarily difficult to get to K'veer. Then you'd need a D'ni stonecutting team to break open the little room Atrus is in (since thats what he needed when he came back 6-8 years after Myst to break out into D'ni.
Suffice to say it would be easier to solve Myst. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why couldn't he send me back to where I came from if I only came from a few feet above his head? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Many many many feet!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It really irked me that D'Ni was now supposed to exist somewhere underneath New Mexico. Yeah, the first time you hear it, it's kind of cool, but after that it just shatters the whole MYSTique the series once held. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Book of Atrus came out 2 years after the first Myst game, which revealed this fact. Its deeply rooted in Myst lore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One more note on URU: it's stated somewhere that the people who would hear the call to the DRC did so because they had D'Ni blood in them <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm pretty sure that was metaphorical.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Cyan based their new sequel on something which contradicted an unerpinning of the Myst storyline. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes well this has caused a bit of controversy. Firstly of course as many have pointed out CYAN DID NOT MAKE THIS GAME (its not your fault to think so... you WOULD think that since thier logo appears at the start LOL. But check the credits, they did not.)
But, its not actually Myst IV's fault in this contradiction. RAWA explained that in fact Myst was wrong http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif around the time of Riven. So we've known about the prison ages being as they are in Myst IV for 7 years now.
Terrene explains this a bit too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It was mentioned (although rejected) in Riven, and now seems to be the accepted theory, that the books only link to pre-existing ages, rather than creating them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The only person who ever rejected this theory is Gehn. Also Sirrus and Achenar and possibly Saavedro doubted this theory. All the bad guys. The Myst community, Cyan, and all of the major goodies including Atrus accept beyond any doubt that this is true. We arent creating ages, only linking to them.
This is why they made D'ni on Earth - to give us something to think about. WE are Age-dwellers. If you believe Gehn's theory, then we were created. But no, we were merely linked to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In the books, it definately is NOT under NM. Sure they never gave a location in teh books but Atrus watched his grandmother trading with people on camels and made references to Allah. In teh second book, a young anna went to give here fathers geology reports to Amanjira in Tadjinar. She even spoke of seeing no trees ecpet the shallow rooted palms of Tadjinar. This is definately a middle eastern locale. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah. There was a bit of a problem here. The books were written under the name "Rand (and Robyn) Miller." But were actually written by David Wingrove. The Myst community accepts that Wingrove had it wrong. Along with several other things we call "Wingroveisms".... D'ni has, in Cyan's mind, ALWAYS been under NM. Wingrove got it wrong. Uru set it straight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And I also agree that all of the ages so far were completely uninspired. I've only been to Teledahn and Gareeshan so far but they left me flat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Uhm thats only two ages. How can you dish "all" the ages when you've only seen two. Since theres a teensy effort to visit at least 2 more ages, I'll wager you havent yet got outside to see the magic of Gahreesen. And I dunno... Teledahn was brilliant to me.

Stedmeister:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>That is ture, but if you pay attention to the beginning of Myst Atrus says "I must write to new linking books tonight one for Spire and the other one for Haven" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What? When in the beginning of Myst did Atrus talk about Spire and Haven. Also he didnt mention it in the Myst IV intro. Are you referring to Atrus' Myst IV journal? I'll have to reread it (LOL I come on here and make all sorts of corrections and I've only read the M4 journal once!) Err... everything else I said I *am* very very sure about. Including this:

Also, I don't know where you got this idea that "D'Ni is not under New Mexico only a small group of D'Ni were not the whole civilation."
Well the whole civilisation didnt "live" in the D'ni city - if thats what you mean, they may have lived on other islands, and certainly in other ages. But, yes, the whole D'ni civilisation was centered around Ae'gura which is underneath (approximately) new mexico.

PHEW that was a lot. Please read what I said - I've been to many many many Myst sites over the past few years, plus I have my own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I've read all the RAWA transcripts and, well, basically if you want to verify you have only to go to sites like www.dpwr.net (http://www.dpwr.net) where all the information is stored.
Enjoy! And none of this is flames btw, all just good healthy discussion!

the_fibber
10-19-2004, 04:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>if MYST IV solves the Sirrus / Achenar questions --- then MYST V should solve the Ghen questions <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But Riven did solve the Gehn questions. He got trapped inside the prison book. How solved do you want it? Does that mean he needs to be dead before his story is over?

stevecrox
10-19-2004, 08:58 AM
I thought that Riven ended with you being in the star fissue and riven faling into this whole, i thought riven was effectivly distroyed i don't know cause i only played riven once and didn't enjoy it as muchas the rest, secondly somewhere someone mentions asks how you get to tomohara i stand correctly Atrus built tomohara near the cleft on earth which makes me want to visit it in a new uru addon (yes i know we have to live with until uru and thats it) Why do people always insult uru? I thought it stuck to the myst theme very well and enlarged your view of the d'ni civilisation. I generally didn't contradict any previous myst-lore (if it did i missed it)

Finally why are people so angry about the new age vibe? I enjoyed it and found it refreshing at the end of the day the tree of possibilities links everywhere and so you will find planets which are new age and amulets which store memorys as a concept i enjoyed it, and felt the amulet added a fanatastic element to Myst IV

Myst V needs to cover Yeesha growing up i want to see what made her convert from Myst IV to Uru

Mowog
10-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Regarding the location of the Cavern, I think the generally accepted fact is that David Wingrove placed it in the Middle East, and Cyan left it there because at that stage of the game, it really didn't matter where it was. It was an exotic locale, and that was good enough.

As the legend grew in the minds of the Cyantists (the in-character answer would be that they were continually discovering and translating new journals), they had to narrow the Cavern down to a specific location, which turned out to be New Mexico.

So while the books are truly worthwhile reading, any Cyan fan will tell you to enjoy the stories, but don't hang your hat on them fact-wise. They were written at a time when the whole D'ni saga was still being discovered, and some of the details have changed with further discoveries.

Cheers,

Stedmister
10-19-2004, 09:50 AM
This all makes my head hurt.

GallifreyLady
10-19-2004, 08:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And I also agree that all of the ages so far were completely uninspired. I've only been to Teledahn and Gareeshan so far but they left me flat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I felt somewhat similar. I definitely was enjoying Uru, but I didn't get a sense of Cyan-inspired wonder like I did in the other Myst games--until I saw the skyline of Kadish Tolesa. It was so beautiful it literally took my breath away. I've adored the game ever since. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Stedmister
10-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Here an Idea for Myst 5, we find out that "The Stranger" is actually Rand Miller and he took what he discover on Myst via the linking book and made a game about, in order to prepare the earth for a D'ni invasion where the D'ni make us solve puzzles all day, until our minds exploed from infomation overload.