PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 Xbox 360 Demo has been released.

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Just noticed it today. If your a 360 owner check your marketplace. Gonna go check it out now.

This is not debate about sims on console or any of that nonsense. Just a heads up to anyone wishing to try it out.

S!

VF-17_Jolly
07-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Thank you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

danjama
07-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I will check PS3 store now.

Stiletto-
07-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Not in the PS3 Store yet..

Anyone know if the X-52 will plug into the PS3 and work in some kind of limited fashion? I know there is that xbox saitek x-52 style controller.. My G25 works good in a PS3 but I have know idea about flight controllers.

ImMoreBetter
07-29-2009, 06:07 PM
DLing now.

Choctaw111
07-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I will have to check this out for the XBox. This is a way to get my sons into this kind of stuff.

Owlsphone
07-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Just played through the demo.

This is and probably will be the closest thing you can get to a simulator on a game console.

The AI gunners are pretty brutal and on the most realistic settings, the planes will stall and spin as we are accustomed to.

It's incredibly beautiful...we can only be so lucky to have a sim half as pretty when Oleg gets done with SOW. The textures are crisp, the atmosphere is great.

The only downside is that most people will have to play with a regular controller which will take some getting used to. As usual with sims, a joystick is highly encouraged.

Chivas
07-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Owlsphone:
Just played through the demo.

This is and probably will be the closest thing you can get to a simulator on a game console.

The AI gunners are pretty brutal and on the most realistic settings, the planes will stall and spin as we are accustomed to.

It's incredibly beautiful...we can only be so lucky to have a sim half as pretty when Oleg gets done with SOW. The textures are crisp, the atmosphere is great.

The only downside is that most people will have to play with a regular controller which will take some getting used to. As usual with sims, a joystick is highly encouraged.

How detailed is the terrain at low level? The overall terrain in BOP is the best I've seen but it does seem to lose some detail in the screenshots at low altitudes. Also one poster suggested that there were no pop up objects. Is this what your seeing?

I believe SOW will have much higher low level detail, including river banks. I noticed that the rivers in the cities of BOP have banks, but the rivers seem flat in the countryside. What are you seeing?

Owlsphone
07-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Hills, mountains, tons of trees, and detailed towns is what I see. There is one level where you are ground pounding in a P51 during the Battle of the Bulge and you have to fly low along a valley with a frozen river so that you aren't detected by AA.

My main complaint is that there is zero sense of speed. Even at top speed and low, you still feel like you are going slowly.

After playing a little more, the AI is up to their usual antics of colliding with one another while chasing a wingman, or crashing into the ground after trying to do too much during a low level fight.

The fps are smooth as butter except for the minor hiccups that come when you zoom in on an area with a lot of stuff just like in FB.

It's all just really promising to me because I know what PCs are capable of and if this is what they can produce on a console, there's reason to be excited.

Cyph3r111
07-30-2009, 09:11 AM
i think its pretty crap, i mean, wep makes you go ridiculously fast, its like NOS in need for speed games.

MAJOR fps dips when youre shooting something down and theres alot of smoke+debris coming at your.

flight model is ridiculously arcadey.

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Tried simulation mode and in my opinion, without a joystick it is going to be incredibly tuff. It almost seems like they opted for the "more hard = more real philosophy" like the older PC sims did. I tried different sensitivity settings and it was extremely difficult to maneuver without stalling.

If there is joystick support and the game gets polished up a bit it could be a winner on the console and open the flight sim door to new pilots.

S!

Owlsphone
07-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
Tried simulation mode and in my opinion, without a joystick it is going to be incredibly tuff. It almost seems like they opted for the "more hard = more real philosophy" like the older PC sims did. I tried different sensitivity settings and it was extremely difficult to maneuver without stalling.

If there is joystick support and the game gets polished up a bit it could be a winner on the console and open the flight sim door to new pilots.

S!

You're right about the sensitivity.

I had my elevator sensitivity turned down to about a quarter of the default value

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Well it seems the demo supports flight sticks quite well. Some are using the Saitek Aviator for 360 and some even opted for the ACE Edge Hotas. Read some mixed reviews on the Aviator though. The ACE Edge seems to be the top choice although its 100+ dollar price may be a hard pill to swallow for those like me who already have 300+ dollar set ups for their PCs.

Im kind of holding out for some kind of package deal when the game ships. Maybe you can get the game and a decent flight stick bundle or something. In my opinion it would be a wise choice if the publisher and devs chose to do so. The game will be extremely difficult in simulation mode for anyone using the controller.

Im tempted to run up to the attic and grab my Sidewinder Precision 2 just to see if by some chance it works. Those who own the PS3 should fair much better with joystick selection though.

You can find out more info over at the 1C official forums. http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=132

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
My main complaint is that there is zero sense of speed. Even at top speed and low, you still feel like you are going slowly.

This was always a huge complaint of mine with the CFS games. Im not quite sure how this happened with the engine IL2 BoP is using but I agree with you. Dont think its quite as bad as CFS games though but still odd and annoying.

S!

Mr_Zooly
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
its a bit arcadey for me but I guess if it gets others interested in our hobby then I'm happy.

Cyph3r111
07-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
Well it seems the demo supports flight sticks quite well. Some are using the Saitek Aviator for 360 and some even opted for the ACE Edge Hotas. Read some mixed reviews on the Aviator though. The ACE Edge seems to be the top choice although its 100+ dollar price may be a hard pill to swallow for those like me who already have 300+ dollar set ups for their PCs.

Im kind of holding out for some kind of package deal when the game ships. Maybe you can get the game and a decent flight stick bundle or something. In my opinion it would be a wise choice if the publisher and devs chose to do so. The game will be extremely difficult in simulation mode for anyone using the controller.

Im tempted to run up to the attic and grab my Sidewinder Precision 2 just to see if by some chance it works. Those who own the PS3 should fair much better with joystick selection though.

You can find out more info over at the 1C official forums. http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=132

S!

The ACE Edge is dire, it has a deadzone the size of africa.