PDA

View Full Version : B-25 Bombsight is not tracking correctly

dekree99
12-19-2004, 01:02 PM
The sights should track the same as in the He-111, but they are way off, and un-usable. Am i doing something wrong ? as I mentioned works greatr in the 111

Tully__
12-19-2004, 01:20 PM
B25 is calibrated for altitude in feet. It may also be for speed in mph, but I'm not sure on that. Check the readme files for PF and the patches, IIRC the details can be found in one of those.

dekree99
12-19-2004, 01:42 PM
eeek...right you are. Thanx http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Willey
12-19-2004, 04:50 PM
It's still off. Tried everything, no hits possible.

kph + m
mph + m
kts + m
kph + ft
mph + ft
kts + ft

The Heinkel is dead on though, kph +m.

Basically you just have to set the alt and then correct the crosshair via the speed knob so that it stays on. So the only thing that can have a big effect is the alt thing.

RoughRaider1
12-19-2004, 08:25 PM
I haven't flown the HE-111 or IL2 in a long time so I had to relearn how to level bomb again with PF. I just got it down again today.
I was screwing up by not having a key assigned to the "toggle speed bar"
After I did needless to say it works fine.
Here's what I do.

Get to alt and turn on auto level stabilization after heading to the target.
go to 70% throttle to give time for correction without loosing alt.
When alt and speed are stable I enter what is on the speedbar when it's toggled to hdg/mph/ft.
I don't worry about tas vs ias.
Raise the bombsight distance up to just under the target some.
Use rudder trim to make left or right corrections.
Now with the xhair just under the target some and lined up with rudder trim, I'll activate "Bombsight Automation" which somewhat locks or stabilizes the xhair under the target.
Then I just use the "bs speed setting" to finely adjust the sight over the target.
A slower speed will bring the sight up, a faster speed brings it down. Get it completely stable right over the target before it gets to low and keep it there with the speed setting and rudder trim and your done.

AWL_Spinner
12-20-2004, 04:14 AM
Yeah, there have been several posts on this. The sight is a bit wonky for automatic. Altitude (feet) is fine, TAS (mph) needs a reduction of about 10% to track accurately.

As above, the best way is to try it and watch how it tracks.

Cheers, Spinner

WildeSau
12-20-2004, 06:56 AM
one question I have is how can a target be bombed without using the Bombsight Automation feature?

Cant we release the bomb by ourself when the bombsight is going over the target? I have tried that for several times but always missed the target (bomb went beyond the target).

Would like to know who to bomb without using the Automation Bomb Sight function.

Anyone?

Thanks, WildeSau

Drilling_857
12-20-2004, 07:37 AM
Greetings Wildesau,

Hopefully this will helphttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=2291075052

S! Drilling

WildeSau
12-20-2004, 07:39 AM
many thanks Drilling. Will give it a try tonight.

S!

WildeSau

VMF-112_Turret
12-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Norden Bomb Sight has a major bug that nothing works the way it's suppose to. Norden Bomb Sight has a Automatic Bombing Computer that is fully automatic adjusting cross hair for altitude & speed. Auto Pilot controls elevator to keep same altitude & controls ailrons to keep wings level. The Bombardier controls the rudder & he yaws the plane onto the target but can't be done in game because of a major bug. Norden Bomb Sight has auto gyro. More details are in the link below

http://www.twinbeech.com/norden_bombsight.htm

9th_Bloodfist
12-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Fly the B-25 all the time, and it takes forever for the crosshairs to appear. As far as hitting the target goes I've had no problem with it from alltitudes up to 23,000 ft.

VMF-112_Turret
12-20-2004, 08:38 AM
I will express myself very strongly of how effective the real Norden Bomb Sight is according to the history. The Bombardier doesn't adjust cross hair for altitude & speed. The auto gyro with Automatic Bombing Computer does everything fully automatic & the Bombardier has to do only 2 things. Yaw the rudder to bring the plane onto target & pull the trigger to release bombs. Compare this to the Bomb Sights used by Luftwaffe where they had to do everything manualy of adjusting cross hair for altitude & speed. Axis Squadrons may be happy that the Norden Bomb Sight isn't working the way it's suppose to because it would bomb the **** out of their targets with precision accuracy of putting the bombs in the pickle barrel.

J_Weaver
12-20-2004, 08:57 AM
The thing is that we don't have a Norden bombsight. Although the bombsight in the B-25 looks like a Norden it works just like the one in the He-111.

VMF-112_Turret
12-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Norden Bomb Sight was so effective that the Crew members of the Bombers that had Norden Bomb Sights were given direct orders to destroy or damage the Norden Bomb Sight if they get shot down or ditch the aircraft so it wouldn't fall into the hands of the enemies. The Russians plucked out the Norden Bomb Sights from their crashed B-17G's from lend lease program & kept them because it's better than the Bombs Sights they had. The Germans had captured B-17G's & could put together a flyable B-17G from several wrecked B-17G's. The Germans used captured B-17G's because it was better than their own Bombers combined with the Norden Bomb Sight being better than what they had.

Drilling_857
12-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Greetings,

The only flight sim to have a properly working norden bomb site is B17 II "The mighty 8th". The reason I say this is that one of the guy's that was involved with the development of the norden for the game was an actual B17 pilot and bombardier(some might now him as A.C.). I flew with the v8th bomb group on BA in vOPS http://www.bombs-away.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43
B17 II had some good points and some bad ones, but one of the best things was using the norden as it worked just like in real life.

Now as far as il2 goes, we don't have that. We have a simple bombsight that visually looks like the norden. Instead of complaining why the norden in the B25 did not work or model the real one accurately I just learned how to make use of what I had to work with. If used correctly and with practice the B25 bomb site is vary accurate and by bombing manually, can some what imitate the true norden(ref. dropping in a train using the intervelometer setting or adjusting the drift on the base of the norden). By the way, the real norden could be set to drop automatically via 2 conductive points on the site called indices that when came together, released the bombs according to what was entered into the bombing panel to the left of the bombardier or manually via a release button.

Being able to release the bombs one or two at a time allows you to imitate the intervelometer to spread them down a runway for example. The rudder trim works well for adjusting the sight for drift if you have some wind issues.

S! Drilling

lbhskier37
12-20-2004, 07:05 PM
In this game you can be more accurate with our bombsight than they could in real life with the Norden. In real life wind and air conditions would affect the bombs trajectory, but we don't have that in IL2. They had to change the rules in the online war my sqaud was in because they could hit individual buildings with the 2000kg bombs of the He111 from 7000+ meters. This wouldn't be possible with any bombsight from WWII or even now.

AFJ_Locust
12-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Or even now ?

Um Im preaty sure thoes JDAMS can hit anything anywhere on the planet

lbhskier37
12-20-2004, 07:31 PM
I meant freefall bombs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Those don't count.