PDA

View Full Version : Secret Locations - Choppy/Stutter/Pause Issues

ashiohsiao
04-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Hi, I'm having some lag/stutter/pause issues at certain points of the game, and they can always be duplicated.

Below is my specification:
i7-870 @ 3.62GHz (hyperthreading on)
Corsair 1600 2GBx2 @ 1640MHz, CAS 9-9-9-24
GTX 480 @ 835MHz (1.125v) (MSI Afterburner NOT running) 270.61WHQL
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Xbox 360 Controller (Wired)

Two of the most noticable lags:
- In the secret location, in which you need to chase this guy in a tunnel or sewer. When the chase begins, and as soon as you turn left and face the tunnel/sewer, the game will pause/stutter slightly. Such stuttering also happens at some later points of the chase (always the same places)
- In another secret location, in which you chase this guy into a room full with people, and you need to find him using Eagle Vision. If you do NOT turn on Eagle Vision in that room, and you move your camera around, the game will stutter like hell, with only about 30% GPU utilization.

These happen regardless of graphical settings/resolutions, and GPU overclocking. Otherwise, the game runs smoothly in open areas, maintaining a steady 58-60fps with VSync & D3DOverrider (Vsync + Tripple Buffering - which helps). However, even at 60FPS, some open areas are smoother than others.

I've also tried disabling some cores, or hyperthreading, or run as administrator, but the same problems persist.

P.S. This is a Steam version.
P.S. Similar issues were also found in AC2, but not in AC.
P.S. This is the only game that has such issues. My other games include Dragon Age 2, Bulletstorm, Devil May Cry 4, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Trine, Ninja Blade, etc.
P.S. Splinter Cell Conviction also has this same issue that at some places, the GPU utilization is low, yet the frame drops down/becomes choppy.

mrb80
04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
The exact same thing happens here.

Q6600 @ 3.20GHz
Corsair 1600 2GBx2 @ 1603MHz, CAS 9-9-9-24
HD4850 @ stock
Windows Vista x64 Home Premium
Xbox 360 Controller (Wired)

I'm also using the Steam version.

bveUSbve
04-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Yes, I too have stuttering regularly (with a Nvidia GTX570). OCing the card helps noticably, but some stutter every 2 or 3 seconds remains. Especially on moving the camera sideways ... Which leads me to think that it's not just a problem of "graphics" but at the same time a loading-issue.

And yes, in those special locations -- at least at the underground festivity with the masked people and at the thieves-guild! -- the stuttering gets really annoying.

I suppose the game is quite demanding on the CPU for all the "decorative" folks running around with there own little AI. And I suppose the game is poorly optimized for the PC (and may be especially problematic with Nvidia graphic cards?).

ashiohsiao
04-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Hmmm,I let Task Manager run at the background, and played the game for a little while, and found that the CPU usage was around 60%-70% (on all 8 cores), so I am guessing that the game is not optimized enough to let GPu do the calculation or even make full use of the hardware...

Lord_Ethcaz
04-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Maybe you guys ought to try tuning down the settings.
Especially Vsync and Multisampling make the game stutter if you're not way above the required settings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

On my 2.4GHZ Duo Core CPU, 4GB RAM, Win7 64-bit, ATI HD 5770, I have no problems of stuttering whatsoever.

Also, might be nice to know, the game isn't very compatible with quad core processors. Some say that making windows only use 2, helps a lot performance wise. Others say it doesn't matter much.

bveUSbve
04-29-2011, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by faidh:
Especially Vsync and Multisampling make the game stutter if you're not way above the required settings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Multisampling reduces FPS, that much is clear. But it is also clear that anything below 4x reduces image-quality to a level most gamers with good hardware wouldn't want to comply with. (And with BH it's not an option to force AA through the graphics driver, which might be less demanding, because this results in "strange" lighting effects.)

Deactivating Vsync I tried. And indeed, it may really push up FPS significantly. But -- to my eyes this also reduces visual enjoyment significantly, because, you know, it's no longer v-synched ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Since 'Brotherhood' has clearly better graphics than AC2 -- better shadows, higher resolution textures --, perhaps one has to accept the quite high hardware requirements for "optimum" quality.
Or Ubisoft actually could have optimized the game better ...

On my 2.4GHZ Duo Core CPU, 4GB RAM, Win7 64-bit, ATI HD 5770, I have no problems of stuttering whatsoever.
Well, my PC should be "better" in every regard, but while in no way bad, some little stuttering is present. Which resolution do you use?

And the problems I and many other people seem to have also might have to do with Nvidia-Cards.

Lord_Ethcaz
04-29-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm @ 1680x1050 60Hz

Well, you probably have higher standards than I do when it comes to gaming, I guess http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I've turned multisampling off completely, because, as you already said, in chase sequences (especially with certain light effects) it makes the game stutter :P By default it was set to 4x, but I found the game played better in those situations with it just turned off. Still looks good to my intoxicated vision http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
In multiplayer I've even turned vsync off, just to make sure i'm not getting any hardware lag whatsoever, since the game is glitchy enough as it is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

According to the game's requirements though, I shouldn't even have to be using those precautions. So I do get your concern. But then again, this game is FAR from a decent port, so graphics is the least of my worries http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But again, the game still looks great to me :P

But, you were right in your assumption that the game uses a lot more CPU than GPU power, since my PC is obviously CPU bottlenecked, and turning off those FPS heavy settings, the game's performance did go up when all other settings are set at max. But still, the only part of stuttering that I actually had was in one of the chase sequences - the one where you end up on the rainy roofs - and the only part was between a lot of scaffoldings with dimmed lights, and I'm guessing it was the shadow/light effects there that caused a stutter. I actually had to replay the mission three times because of that, but after the 2nd time I turned off multisampling, and the stutter was gone.

ashiohsiao
04-29-2011, 10:16 AM
To faidh: I've tried lowered everything already, the stuttering still occurs at the same exact points like I described. Also, mine has a constant stuttering if I turn VSync off even when the fps is way above 60. And yeah... I think it's a port issue... though it's already better than AC2 IMO.

To bveUSbve: I am @ 1680x1050 60Hz (20" Apple Cinema) I agree with you that Ubisoft should put more effort in such issues... this seems to be a trend now for Ubi... I guess when your games are great and sell good despite these issues, you tend to have less incentive to make it better...

bveUSbve
04-30-2011, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by faidh:
I'm @ 1680x1050 60Hz
Well, I'm at 1920x1200, so I need "better" hardware for higher resolution alone. But before I got the GTX570 I played AC2 with 1680x1200, which helped but the difference wasn't big.

Well, you probably have higher standards than I do when it comes to gaming, I guess http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
At least when it comes to graphics-quality, yes. In my case the "complaining" is from a quite high performance-level, it's perfectionism ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
But based on the comments of many others it seems 'Brotherhood's graphical performance generally is a bit "critical".

I've turned multisampling off completely, because, as you already said, in chase sequences (especially with certain light effects) it makes the game stutter :P (...) Still looks good to my intoxicated vision http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
In my experience the stuttering isn't closely related to chasing-sequences. As I said, it occurs quite prominently at the romulus-underground-location, where most people just stand around, Ezio and his human "objective" included. Or for example at the tavern of the thieves-guild.

But I agree that despite those problems the game for the most part really looks good. Now I'd wish for the same graphics-quality in AC2 ...

But, you were right in your assumption that the game uses a lot more CPU than GPU power, (...)
I intend to try OCing my CPU (2500K) in the next days to see if that helps. Just for perfectionism ...

Michaeljcox24
04-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Well, to put people in the picture:

A Q9650 @ 4Ghz and a GTX 470 @ 850 Mhz runs ok but still stutters in some places. Just Cause 2 doesn't stutter one bit (with 4x AA and 16x AF)

Even the slightest bit of AA on this, and I get chronic problems (this is at 1920 by 1080)

It's just not very well optimised for high res gaming.

RasGhi
05-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Stuttering everywhere.

Razrback16
05-12-2011, 06:19 AM
I see the same thing -- two areas that are notoriously bad are one of the crypt missions where as the OP described, you're chasing the guy and I believe you go into a masked party area trying to locate him and the game will stutter at that point, always.

Also in the DLC content at Lucrezia's mansion when you're navigating through the horse stalls, etc. there is always bad stuttering also. The rest of the game is silky smooth, and I have a pretty good rig for gaming.

MSI K9A2 Platinum Mainboard
Phenom II X4 955 CPU
Radeon 5870 1GB Video Card
4GB DDR2
Silverstone 1000W PSU