PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide Matchmaking Blues

SolidSage
02-22-2011, 03:11 PM
I understand that a lot of the ability issues are due to lag, caused by being matched with players from other regions.
It's usually only an issue if playing at odd times of the day or night.
But c'mon UBI for crying out loud, can you get your mits out of the MP Lobby pie for a minute and let US do it?!! We don't need the BS matchmaking, if it's done to facilitate fairer stat tracking I feel the need to point out that a lot of us, are getting junk stats BECAUSE, you are making us play with other regions and LAG.
Nothing against the French, British or Japs, but I don't want to play with them unless it's a special occasion.
Release the MP from your servers for starters, so we can play it when your gear goes down AND, let us select from ping lobbies and do away with auto matchmaking.

This is a great game that is receiving a lot of guff from players that is attributed to lag.
Stop being an over mindful parent Ubi and let the game go free.

BlacklightDemon
02-22-2011, 03:29 PM
I think it would depend on the circumstances.

cptn_k
02-22-2011, 03:49 PM
It would be useful to see pings or locations, however I am against players being able to select games themselves.

It would further split the player base from what it is now, and make the game selective not inlcusive.

If you live in the US, you will have a high player base, but if someone was from a more out of the way, less populated country, they would never get a game.
Doesn't sound fair to me.

As for the junk stats, if you're worried about templar score, you only need to post 3 good scores a week...not impossible to find enough lag free matches to get decent scores?

FlailingAmigo
02-22-2011, 03:51 PM
I think it would further split an already fragmented player base, especially with the new DLC already going to do that in the next month

BlacklightDemon
02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by FlailingAmigo:
I think it would further split an already fragmented player base, especially with the new DLC already going to do that in the next month
I never thought of that actually since the next DLC is one that must be bought with microsoft points or the PS3 equivalent, correct?

Phyxsius-
02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
I didn`t vote mainly because of what cptn_k said.

It will split further what playerbase is to begin with: Alliance is already "Ghost Town". Advanced Wanted is already "Ghost Town", UNLESS you are willing to wait up to 30 minutes for a lobby to fill.

I DO believe there is a better solution to this problem, but what you proposed isn`t it. Ubisoft`s isn`t either. But we`ll have to live with it, seeing as they push DLC after DLC with profiles still being reset and "dodge" bug still present.

[EDIT]@BlacklightDemon - DLC1.0 and 2.0 are not compatible, so if you want to play MSM you can`t play Pienza; or if you want to play CC you can`t play MSM. UNLESS DLC3.0. or Da Vinci Thingie adds support for ALL DLC`s to work together, you will further split the playerbase into yet another playlist.. making it a grand total of 4.

Translation: 3 months from now, when the hype will be over and the "randoms" will have moved to "CallOfDuty-esque" games or the latest new "hip" title... and from the close to 1 mil you will be left with 200k tops... AND having in mind the average time it gets to fill an unpopular gametype lobby NOW... how long will it fill ANYTHING else apart from the top 3 favorite game types?

[EDIT#2]Which reminds me.. the above applies anyway, so we kinda need DLC`s to ALL be able to be played at the same time... eventually. ESPECIALLY since they have "exclusive" game types.

obliviondoll
02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd like for Player Matches to use a lobby system, and to allow for more customisation of the game (adjust time limits, restrict abilities, set map lists, etc.) in Player Matches.

Ranked should remain as is.

My vote goes to "Maybe".

And the problem isn't that matchmaking is a bad system. The problem is that this game's matchmaking system needs work. I'm expecting that the next MP AC game will have improved netcode, which will be more stable, and will be better at selecting games with low ping.

DEMON-12_21_2O12
02-22-2011, 08:44 PM
yes it would be in improvement. but to a point it would promote rank up rooms. which is no bueno.

SolidSage
02-22-2011, 08:50 PM
@The brotherhood
I think a list of lobbies (all modes) of matches and their associated ping would be good. You'd pick your mode based on the better connection speed.
It does present a problem for the lower player base countries but since I'm from one of the big one's those guys can go screw in a light bulb! (jk).

@CapK
No I'm good with the TG, I had a bad day today, I got to play earlier than normal and the discrepancies were abundant. It got me all stressed out about my regular Ranked LeaderBoard stats. (I cracked the top 100 for Stuns and I'm almost in the top 100 for total kills too, so it has become a priority again. Next week I won't give a shiz, change moods like the wind I do.)

Dog 0f War
02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by SolidSage:
I understand that a lot of the ability issues are due to lag, caused by being matched with players from other regions.
It's usually only an issue if playing at odd times of the day or night.
But c'mon UBI for crying out loud, can you get your mits out of the MP Lobby pie for a minute and let US do it?!! We don't need the BS matchmaking, if it's done to facilitate fairer stat tracking I feel the need to point out that a lot of us, are getting junk stats BECAUSE, you are making us play with other regions and LAG.
Nothing against the French, British or Japs, but I don't want to play with them unless it's a special occasion.
Release the MP from your servers for starters, so we can play it when your gear goes down AND, let us select from ping lobbies and do away with auto matchmaking.

This is a great game that is receiving a lot of guff from players that is attributed to lag.
Stop being an over mindful parent Ubi and let the game go free.
This can not be changed anymore, at least not for this version. We will have to wait for the next release of Assassin's Creed.

Even if they could do this now, I for one would say it is a waist of time and just get the next game going and get it close to perfect.
I think all of your ideas are good for the next title.

tallinn1960
02-23-2011, 08:32 AM
I voted "Don't care" as I am assuming that the current matchmaking will put you into the session with the best ping available already. No point in having an option to choose a session with worse conditions.

EscoBlades
02-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Before i respond, i'll pose a question to you SolidSage.

Have you ever looked at or seen netcode?

rocketxsurgeon
02-23-2011, 09:20 AM
This is the kind of things capcom put into resident evil 5.

You get the connection bar at the side and a flag of where there from, and you can choose to join if you want.

If that's what your kind of on about here i'm not sure if it will be an improvement. Like someone said above, depends on the circumstances.

SolidSage
02-23-2011, 10:37 AM
@Esco
No. My woman is a coder/web developer but I don't understand 'nerd speak'! jk.

@Rocket&Esco
I used to play R6 and that's the sort of lobby list I was talking about, it was nicer to see what your connection to a certain host was going to be, and not have to play in the match before you figured out that you were getting shafted.

@Wraithe
I don't expect it to be implemented, just wanted to vent.

@Tallin
My vent was because the game DOESN'T pick the best connection for you.
I had friends online with available slots in their lobby and I was testing the feature. I actually got put into matches with EscoBlades twice, who is in the UK. I'm California and my close host friend was Texas.
I'm really not that upset, I just don't see the point of being put in matches where I will suffer due to lag, and other players might experience slow down, due to my presence in it also.

@The Brotherhood
What about not being able to play the MP when Ubi's servers are down though? Most of the other MP's I've played are independent of the manufacturer servers, does this mean when Ubi shuts the servers down we lose MP, OR will it be kicked over to local hosting?
I don't know the processing power needed for this game, it could be that our machines can't run the MP effectively, (which would suck), but I hate the idea of not having access to my new favorite part of the Creed franchise, because of a problem somewhere else in the world.

El Zo1212o
02-23-2011, 03:21 PM
...I'm California...I knew you'd slip up eventually...

@The Brotherhood
What about not being able to play the MP when Ubi's servers are down though? Most of the other MP's I've played are independent of the manufacturer servers, does this mean when Ubi shuts the servers down we lose MP, OR will it be kicked over to local hosting?

RE:@The Brotherhood:
That's not likely. Whenever EA(the Rhymes-With-Grasstards) shuts down their MP servers for their games, that is Zum Ende.
(See LotR:Conquest for further info.)

tallinn1960
02-23-2011, 05:01 PM
@Tallin
I had friends online with available slots in their lobby and I was testing the feature. I actually got put into matches with EscoBlades twice, who is in the UK. I'm California and my close host friend was Texas.
I'm really not that upset, I just don't see the point of being put in matches where I will Uuffer due to lag, and other players might experience slow down, due to my presence in it also.

Normal geography and internet geography are not the same. If you are in the US you may get better connections to Eutope than to Mexico. (Mexico must have a real bad internet connection, every time I suspect someone of lag switching and look up his player profile, he is in Mexico).

obliviondoll
02-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by tallinn1960:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SolidSage:
@Tallin
I'm really not that upset, I just don't see the point of being put in matches where I will Uuffer due to lag, and other players might experience slow down, due to my presence in it also.

Normal geography and internet geography are not the same. If you are in the US you may get better connections to Eutope than to Mexico. (Mexico must have a real bad internet connection, every time I suspect someone of lag switching and look up his player profile, he is in Mexico). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Also have to take into account that if your "close host friend" has people with bad connections, it's going to cause your ping to connect to that game to drop, whereas if the game hosted in Europe was all players with stable connections to one another, that would mean a less laggy game than the one hosted closer to you.

It's not only your connection and the host that affects how much lag you get in a game.

hoserama99
02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by tallinn1960:
Normal geography and internet geography are not the same. If you are in the US you may get better connections to Eutope than to Mexico. (Mexico must have a real bad internet connection, every time I suspect someone of lag switching and look up his player profile, he is in Mexico).

This is very true. If you avoided a host strictly because it was geographically far, rather than by ping time, you deserve to suffer at the hands of the latency gods.

BigxTxShades
02-23-2011, 06:49 PM
The reason I answered no:

No matter what you try, you will always run into someone with shiz for internets.

SolidSage
02-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ElZo1212o:

RE:@The Brotherhood:
That's not likely. Whenever EA(the Rhymes-With-Grasstards) shuts down their MP servers for their games, that is Zum Ende.
(See LotR:Conquest for further info.)

Gears2 was Manufacturer servers but they kicked it over to players after about a year or so.
Hopefully ACBMP will just be continually refined and re-released anyway, so it will always be available in some form. Just odd that when their servers go down, we can't run some friend MP matches.

@Brotherhood
Yeah, what IS it with Mexico internet yo? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Right, on the geographical too. I can play solid with an Australian and Texan player, as soon as our bud from Indiana joins it all goes titsup.

BeCk41
02-27-2011, 04:49 AM
@SolidSage- I've been thinkin this from the very beggining!