PDA

View Full Version : I want AI fighters to properly engage my bomber!

Lurch1962
10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
I like to practice gunnery solutions in concentrated QMB sessions. Therefore I'll enable invulnerability and introduce lots of the enemy.

Even when I fly that slow deathtrap known as the TB-3 (although it is pretty tough!), even enemy ace AI just won't behave in a smart manner. I can put several enemy flights on approach H2H, at or near co-alt, and they just buzz by, rarely taking a shot. Their near-exclusive attack method... from dead six! And this applies to fast monoplanes as well as slow biplanes.

Sure, they'll occasionally climb so as to execute a shallow diving attack, but there's little if any variety in the approach. They just line up like coupled cars on a train and bore straight in. I'd like to be able to get in more practice at warding off attacks from the beam, high side, frontal, etc. etc.

Much the same applies when I'm in heavy fighters, too. The AI just so very much prefers to get on the six of its target.

Anyone out there enjoying greater variety than this?

--Lurch--

Lurch1962
10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
I like to practice gunnery solutions in concentrated QMB sessions. Therefore I'll enable invulnerability and introduce lots of the enemy.

Even when I fly that slow deathtrap known as the TB-3 (although it is pretty tough!), even enemy ace AI just won't behave in a smart manner. I can put several enemy flights on approach H2H, at or near co-alt, and they just buzz by, rarely taking a shot. Their near-exclusive attack method... from dead six! And this applies to fast monoplanes as well as slow biplanes.

Sure, they'll occasionally climb so as to execute a shallow diving attack, but there's little if any variety in the approach. They just line up like coupled cars on a train and bore straight in. I'd like to be able to get in more practice at warding off attacks from the beam, high side, frontal, etc. etc.

Much the same applies when I'm in heavy fighters, too. The AI just so very much prefers to get on the six of its target.

--Lurch--

LEXX_Luthor
10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I have seen Me-262s make successful head on firing passes at AI Pe-2s. This was before the Pe-2 sim came out though, maybe 2 years ago, and I have not upgraded since.

But ya, the most common attack method even back then was six shooting. I was frustrated by the combined AI skill levels of gunners and pilots/bombardiers. I wanted to pork down the AI gunners, to help the six shooter survive in reasonable numbers, but this only hurt the bombers bombing/attack skill level also. So much for that idea. The skill levels should be seperate, just to allow configuring the sim's AI behavior for different purposes.

mortoma
10-15-2007, 07:14 PM
The PE-2 version came out in spring of '06 so it's only a year and a half old, not two years.

SeaFireLIV
10-15-2007, 08:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lurch1962:

--Lurch-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, AI fighters are killers of bombers. You`re probabaly flying on some noob AI level or something.