PDA

View Full Version : v1.2b US patches fail

XyZspineZyX
07-07-2003, 11:26 PM
I am running a splinter cell on an AMD 2???+ with a DragonLite ??? motherboard (I have a horrible memory) and an NVIDIA TI ???? (GForce 4 anyway with 128 MB of memory -- or was it 256). Anyway, most of that is really unimportant. The important part is that I am running winblows 98 SE. No patches or updates to the OS either.

With that fog in place, I have a second computer for which I just purchased an NVIDIA FX 5200 and splinter cell came with it for free -- but this older machine is my game machine. So I installed it and made it to the famous glass elevator. I then did the searches and found the solution to be the patch. I promptly downloaded the patch and watched it fail; the dialog boxes are translucent and often are simply overwritten by window behind it, the text color is the background color, and many other little, fun problems. From random clicking on the solid color fields, I have managed to make it to the patch installation. At this point, the text is always black, and the install fails at 2% just like one other individual on this forum. I am then forced to reset the hardware and reboot where winblows whines that I should not reset the hardware because the disk was not properly unmounted. I then repeated the instal procedure for all the mirrored patches as well They all have the same behavior and outcomes.

So, does anyone have an older patch that will work? Is there a 1.2c that will work?

Lastly, unless NVIDIA is pirating the game, it should be a legal distribution because I still have the receipt. The only thing I worry about is the patches are for the "retail" game.

XyZspineZyX
07-07-2003, 11:26 PM
I am running a splinter cell on an AMD 2???+ with a DragonLite ??? motherboard (I have a horrible memory) and an NVIDIA TI ???? (GForce 4 anyway with 128 MB of memory -- or was it 256). Anyway, most of that is really unimportant. The important part is that I am running winblows 98 SE. No patches or updates to the OS either.

With that fog in place, I have a second computer for which I just purchased an NVIDIA FX 5200 and splinter cell came with it for free -- but this older machine is my game machine. So I installed it and made it to the famous glass elevator. I then did the searches and found the solution to be the patch. I promptly downloaded the patch and watched it fail; the dialog boxes are translucent and often are simply overwritten by window behind it, the text color is the background color, and many other little, fun problems. From random clicking on the solid color fields, I have managed to make it to the patch installation. At this point, the text is always black, and the install fails at 2% just like one other individual on this forum. I am then forced to reset the hardware and reboot where winblows whines that I should not reset the hardware because the disk was not properly unmounted. I then repeated the instal procedure for all the mirrored patches as well They all have the same behavior and outcomes.

So, does anyone have an older patch that will work? Is there a 1.2c that will work?

Lastly, unless NVIDIA is pirating the game, it should be a legal distribution because I still have the receipt. The only thing I worry about is the patches are for the "retail" game.

XyZspineZyX
07-08-2003, 06:57 AM
Your version should be as real as everyone else's version. The game should let you install it correctly. And for the sake of argument, I hope you don't have any cracks running on it, or you'll make me really mad.

My system:

AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.13 Ghz
1 gig of Corsair DDR PC2700 RAM @333Mhz
Radeon 9800 Pro video w/TV out core @434, mem @720
Windows XP SP 1
Microsoft Directx 9.0a
Antec TruePower TrueBlue True480 PSU
16x Antec DVD drive
24x10x40 Plexwriter CD-RW
1 Westerndigital 40 gig harddrive, master
1 Westerndigital 100 gig hdd, slave
XFX KT400 ALH Via mainboard, 4-in-1 4.48
All in my modded "Spiderman" case!

XyZspineZyX
07-08-2003, 03:00 PM
I'm having the exact same problem as SheolKinslayer when installing the 1.2b patch.

When I first purchased and installed the game it worked fine until I reached the CIA mission. During the CIA mission the game kicked me back to the desktop every five minutes of game play. I then decided that I might need the 1.2b patch so I downloaded it and tried to install it. When I tried to install the patch the same exact thing that SheolKinslayer described happened. I then figured that my Gforce MX 420 video card drivers needed updating so I did that - didn't help. I then downloaded and installed DirectX 9.0a for the heck of it - didn't help. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the game. When I tried playing the game again (without bothering with the 1.2b patch) it started crapping out consistently during the opening cinematics. I then tried the patch again and it still didn't install correctly. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the game again and tried using the earlier 1.2 patch - same problem. I have now taken up gardening and collecting stuffed animals.

P.S. I purchased the game. The only crack I have has my manager's foot in it most of the time.

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 04:43 AM
I've got an idea. Have you tried d/loading the European patch and see if that works? Maybe you have the European version of the game. Try it and see, it couldn't hurt...

My system:

AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.13 Ghz
Windows XP SP 1
Microsoft Directx 9.0a
16x Antec DVD drive

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Here is what I did since my last post.

first I uninstalled all the games and miscellaneous crap on my hard drive and removed my Gforce MX 420 card. I then did a system recovery. After the recovery, I reinstalled Norton Antivirus, spent two hours updating my Windows ME, and reinstalled my Gforce MX 420 card with the 41.09 drivers. I then defragged my hard drive and did a thorough disk scan. After all the above was completed, I ran 'msconfig', opened the startup tab, and disabled every thing that I could. I then restarted my machine and installed DirectX 9.0. After I restarted my computer again I installed Splinter Cell. For good measure, I restarted my computer again and tried playing Splinter Cell.....It crashed shortly after creating a new profile. I then cried like a girl and threw myself against the wall. When I regained consciousness I tried the 1.2b patch - It still would not install correctly. I then tried the European patch and it promptly told me that I was a bloody idiot for trying to install the European patch on the North American version of the game.

What I don't get is that the first time I installed the game (without patches) it let me play without any problems until I reached the CIA mission. Naturally, by the time I reached the CIA mission I was addicted to the game. Now it won't let me do anything. I'm starting to think that I was hitler in a past life and this is God's way of punishing me.

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Man, that sucks. Well, it took me literaly 3 months to figure out a video card problem when I built my first computer, so I know how you feel about crying and throwing yourself against the wall. Just contact UBI's tech support and they should be able to tell you why it's not installing properly. Just for good measure, d/load the 1.1 patch and see if that even installs, and when UBI tells you what's wrong, let us know so we'll be able to tell ppl in the future.

My system:

AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.13 Ghz
Windows XP SP 1
Microsoft Directx 9.0a
16x Antec DVD drive

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 11:16 AM
I have exactly the same problem but with the emea(European/MiddleEast/Asian) patch.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 11:24 AM
solution found: you have Norton running. you must kill it temporarily, it is not enough to switch off auto protect, you really need to kill the process. it is named "cctapp". I have win98se this is unrelevant.

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 03:47 AM
I finally figured it out.

My problem with the patch failing and the game crashing was caused by a bad RAM module. Even though my system reported the correct amount of RAM installed in my machine, one of the 256 MB ram modules was screwing everything up. I replaced the bad module and all my problems went away. No more GPF's, no more black screens, and no more kick-backs to the desktop.

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 05:10 AM
That'll do it.

My system:

AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.13 Ghz
Windows XP SP 1
Microsoft Directx 9.0a
16x Antec DVD drive