PDA

View Full Version : high speed finally!

crucislancer
07-02-2007, 08:26 AM
So, I finally got broadband over the weekend, specifically Comcast. I love it. Obviously a huge jump from dial-up.

I played my first online games as well, dogfights mainly.

Are there any dedicated servers that someone might recommend for a guy who's just getting started with IL-2 online? I think for now I just want to do some dogfights until I get more acclimated to it, then move on to some co-op missions.

Also, question about vulching. Would it be considered vulching if I was flying over a enemy airfield, and the plane on the runway was a bomber whose gunners where firing on me? What happened was I was doing exactly that, and I figured since the plane was firing on me (and actually hit me) that it was fair game. I had circled that field for a while, waiting for the bomber to take off, fully intending to give the player a chance to make a show of it before I attacked, even buzzing him to see if he'd take the bait. Instead, he (or the AI gunner) fired at me. Thoughts?

All in all, lot's of fun flying online. I haven't touched the offline campaigns since. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PBNA-Boosher
07-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Warclouds, Winds of War, Zekes vs. Wildcats, all of these are fun servers. You do get bad eggs every once in a while on there, but they're easy to ignore. While you're at it, get Hyperlobby (http://hyperfighter.sk/), which will make connecting to servers much easier.

As for the vulching - all's fair in love and war - but vulching isn't very sportsmanly.Personally, I feel that we are re-creating a war, etc..., but we're playing a game too. Everyone deserves the chance to have their fun. In your specific situation, however, I'd say he's fair game. He has chosen to combat you (ie, he opened fire first).

crucislancer
07-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Got Hyperlobby, thanks. In fact, that was the first thing I did.

Yeah, that's what I thought about vulching. The way I see it, when I'm in a dogfight server I conduct myself to the highest standards: No stealing kills, give players a chance to get airborne, if they stall leave 'em be. For instance, there was one guy online Saturday that kept strafing me and another while we attempted to take off. Drove me nuts. As far as I'm concerned that's pretty close to "camping" a spawn site in a FPS. I finally had to switch to a different airfield so I could take off. Got a measure of revenge though. :-)

So, are there any other etiquette tips? I'd really hate to be perceived as a **** when I'm just being a online noob.

grndragon57
07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
UK-Dedicated servers are well run.Different servers have different rules regarding vulching and what is considered vulching

Taylortony
07-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by grndragon57:
UK-Dedicated servers are well run.Different servers have different rules regarding vulching and what is considered vulching

take a bomber over the field, your crew will vultch for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Deadmeat313
07-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I would advise against shooting a bomber on the taxi-way. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif Some points to remember:

1) Bombers take a lot more effort on the part of the pilot to get airborne. It can take several minutes of gingerly trying not to over-throttle the bugger to get it onto the runway and lined up in the right direction. This is assuming one can get that far without being rammed by a friendly fighter jock who has decided to accelerate blindly along the taxiway at full throttle.

2) The AI gunners will shoot at you if you are close enough and in their arc of fire. The poor chap in the cockpit probably wasn't looking to get your attention.

3) Not enough people fly bombers, and they are a primary target in the air. Most online bomber sorties are suicide missions. Killing them on the ground is just going to demoralize the pilots further.

(I speak as a bomber-jockey.) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I'm not too worried about you though. I think the fact that you are interested - and concerned - about online etiquette means that you are unlikely to be guilty of any serious errors of judgment. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TG.

crucislancer
07-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Ah, thanks for that Deadmeat. I'll keep that in mind.

asheshouse
07-03-2007, 03:21 AM
Interesting comments about "vulching".

My first online flights were yesterday.

First in an A20 then second in a Tempest (rocket armed).

On the second flight I roamed around looking for ground targets with no success and eventually ended up making a low fast airfield approach and offloaded the rockets into the hanger area before attempting to escape. I got one aircraft on the ground. I did think afterwards that the player I hit might be a bit browned off. I made the mistake of going back to see the damage and promtly got pranged.

Mind you on the first mission with the A20 my home base was under bomb attack (fighter bombers) as I came back in on final approach. Lucky I wasnt spotted. The A20 was a bit flakey by then and wasnt up to any banking and weaving.

Any comments on etiquette will be gratefully received.

Whirlin_merlin
07-03-2007, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by asheshouse:

On the second flight I roamed around looking for ground targets with no success and eventually ended up making a low fast airfield approach and offloaded the rockets into the hanger area before attempting to escape. I got one aircraft on the ground. I did think afterwards that the player I hit might be a bit browned off. I made the mistake of going back to see the damage and promtly got pranged.

Mind you on the first mission with the A20 my home base was under bomb attack (fighter bombers) as I came back in on final approach. Lucky I wasnt spotted. The A20 was a bit flakey by then and wasnt up to any banking and weaving.

It really all dedends on the server, different servers have different rules. This makes it important to check the brief for the server.

Remember if you think the server's rules are lame then fly else where or just get on and follow them. Nothing pees me off more than when some nugget starts moaning about certain server rules in chat. No one forces you into a server so just get on with it.

And before I disengage rant mode please check to see if the server rules include correct markings, if it does just use 'em. If you are so far up your *** that you can't not use your own nations markings then just go else where. Or if you don't see the point and think its a stoopid rule just go else where.

Gosh, I am angry.

Rant off.

crucislancer
07-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Whirlin_merlin:
It really all dedends on the server, different servers have different rules. This makes it important to check the brief for the server.

Remember if you think the server's rules are lame then fly else where or just get on and follow them. Nothing pees me off more than when some nugget starts moaning about certain server rules in chat. No one forces you into a server so just get on with it.

And before I disengage rant mode please check to see if the server rules include correct markings, if it does just use 'em. If you are so far up your *** that you can't not use your own nations markings then just go else where. Or if you don't see the point and think its a stoopid rule just go else where.

Gosh, I am angry.

Rant off.

Why are you getting angry? You might want to clarify that. Asheshouse and I both asked some very valid questions.

Whirlin_merlin
07-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Oh sorry not angry with any one who posted, just a kind of general anger with the world. Don't worry its passed.

crucislancer
07-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Whirlin_merlin:
Oh sorry not angry with any one who posted, just a kind of general anger with the world. Don't worry its passed.

Ok. Cool.

Deadmeat313
07-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by asheshouse:

As Whirlin_merlin says, the most important thing is to read and obey the server rules. The different servers tend to have a somewhat varied attitude to airfield attacks etc. Most of it is good common sense anyway, and if you ask in chat most pilots will be happy to clarify.

One good ruleset I've seen (on UK_Dedicated I think - though I may be wrong) allows vulching with bombs only. The idea being that if one side can get armed bombers over one of their enemies' airfields, then whoever is on the ground at the time deserves a good carpet-bombing.

Vulching with machineguns is faar too easy, and a couple of fighter pilots can totally lock down an airfield.

Some other etiquette pointers off the top of my head:

Takeoff: It is not a race to get in the air. Try wherever possible to taxi to the runway, and not just barrel along/across the nearest taxiway (THOUGH often taxi-ways are seen as legitimate alternative runways - especially if people are landing). If there are others taxiing nearby, give them room and let them maneuver. Bear in mind that a lot of aircraft designs do not allow the pilot a forward view while taxiing, so they may weave left/right a lot. I've seen some nice situations online where well disciplined players will all form an orderly queue in the taxiway, giving each other plenty of space.

Other times I'll hear zzzzzooooooOOOM CRUNCH! as some maniac in a P-40 rear-ends me at 80kph. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

As I stated earlier, bombers can take an age to taxi, so its a good idea for bombers to give way to fighters, just so they can get in the air. (though I do frequently meet gracious pilots who sit patiently to one side while I struggle with the controls of my He-111.)

Have a good look at the runway before you roll onto it. Is someone taking off, or in final approach? A lot of sensible pilots will turn their navigation lights on as the approach the runway to alert everyone that they are inbound. If somebody is taking off in a fighter its not such a big deal, as they'll probably only use half the runway (though I've had some near-misses). A bomber on the runway will probably need all of it. Steer clear! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

When Landing: Turn your navigation lights on. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Also, once you're safely down and you've slowed to a safe speed, pull off the runway onto the grass to keep the field open for the other users.

In the air: Try not to steal kills. If you see two fighters in a furball - try to figure out who is the friendly and who is the bandit (checking tracer colour, icons etc). If the friendly is tight on the bandit's "6" then there is no need for you to do anything other than climb above the fight and watch your friend's back. He will require your assistance if (a) the bandit manages to turn the tables on him and he looks like he's in trouble, or (b) another bandit joins the fray.

In either case, get stuck in straight away. Your position over the fight should give you a good advantage as you dive in from above. Most pilots will be very grateful for the assistance.

When attacking bombers: Try not to ram them. This is not something I've personally seen as a problem, but I've seen some people get really radgey about it on these forums so I suppose it's best to stay clear of that sort of thing. (When I've been rammed, the fighter is almost always dead-stick because my uber sniper rear gunner has just PK'ed the pilot.)

PS: In some circumstances you might inadvertently rescue a "Cad" from almost certain death. You'll know this has happened if you intervene in a fight that was obviously going against your ally, and he then blathers at you on chat for "stealing his kill", ie the bandit that was locked on his six with all guns blazing. There is no point in engaging in verbal fisticuffs with this ne'-er do well. Just modify your procedure so that next time the bandit has plenty of time to shoot down the chump, before you then shoot down the bandit.

PPS: Nobody who is B&Zing a LaGG-3in a FW-190 from 8km up and then extending 32km to the SouthEast, can reasonably claim that the LaGG is "his" (unless, of course, it immediately spins to the ground in flames). Tell him to stop showing off and come and FIGHT the bugger then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif Otherwise he should share the fun.

PPPS: I've not yet seen a server where it is not allowed to shoot someone as they land. They really shouldn't be trying to land anyway if you are shooting at them. Some pilots seem to hold a belief, however, that such times as Final Approach should be sacrosanct. They will berate you over chat, saying "Y did U shoot me? I had my weelz down."

The obvious answer is that this is a perfectly good time to shoot a combat-worthy aircraft that is foolishly trying to land so the pilot can claim his points. They should shoot you first, THEN land. I have had people run out of ammo mid-fight, and then turn to the airbase and drop their landing gear as if to say "Good fight chaps! I'm off home now. Byee!"

If you have bullets left and they have none, then more fool them. Let them have it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

PPPPS: Always display the correct markings. Makes sense, really.

~S~

TG.

Xiolablu3
07-03-2007, 12:22 PM
HI mate, it all depends on what settings you like to fly with.

----------------------

1: SHoot anything that moves servers,

334th/Big Top - Free for all arcade with same planes on each team. Easy settings, cockpit off and big arrows pointing at enemy planes.

--------------------

2. 'Miniwar' servers. Servers where you should use teamwork and respect your teamamtes. Dont cut in or make life hard for the shooter, cover him. Cover the bombers, attack enemy ground targets and cover you own from enemy bombers.

Ukded1 - Axis VS Allies, some very good maps and planesets. Cockpit Off, Externals on, Icons on.

Ukded2 - Axis vs Allies, Full realish but with externals on and friendly icons. (I like these settings best at the moment)

Warclouds - Full real but with close enemy icons and map icon.

SPits VS 109s/ WInds OF War/Ukded3/ - Full Real, maybe with a map icon.

-------------------

3. 'Coops'

Join Hyperlobby and ask about them

-------------------
If oyu are just learning to fly, you could start at 334th and if thats no real enough for you then move onto Ukded1 and then down the list until you find settings that suit you. You will probably find the last list a bit overwhelming to start with.

asheshouse
07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Many thanks, Lots of useful pointers there.

crucislancer
07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Yes, a lot of useful pointers here, and exactly what I was looking for. For me, it's always nice to know the rule before diving into it. Thanks all.

Hoatee
07-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Whirlin_merlin is right to moan on the issue of correct markings - a TB3 with British roundels looks downright awful.