PDA

View Full Version : TV doco - actual zero bullet holes

Destroyer110
07-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I just watched a TV doco about some guy trying to track down his uncle who was lost over PNG during the war. He had hired a helicopter to search the highlands and came across a downed B17, his uncle was flying a B25 when lost so this wasn't the plane but he stopped to have alook anyway. The B17 had lost on aileron and the tail was full of small holes .. ACTUAL ZERO bullet hole marks! The holes were quite small and about 3-4 inches a part in rough rows. Intermixed with these were occasional larger holes about double the size, with smaller shrapnel damage around them .. these must have been 20MM CANNON HOLES!! .. AMAZING! after all this time!! What amazed me most was that these smallish holes could blow off a flap and bring the plane down!

Destroyer110
07-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I just watched a TV doco about some guy trying to track down his uncle who was lost over PNG during the war. He had hired a helicopter to search the highlands and came across a downed B17, his uncle was flying a B25 when lost so this wasn't the plane but he stopped to have alook anyway. The B17 had lost on aileron and the tail was full of small holes .. ACTUAL ZERO bullet hole marks! The holes were quite small and about 3-4 inches a part in rough rows. Intermixed with these were occasional larger holes about double the size, with smaller shrapnel damage around them .. these must have been 20MM CANNON HOLES!! .. AMAZING! after all this time!! What amazed me most was that these smallish holes could blow off a flap and bring the plane down!

Waldo.Pepper
07-27-2006, 03:32 AM
Sounds like a neat show. Sorry I missed it. I didn't see the show, so sorry right of the bat.

I am a natural sceptic. If the damage was battle damage, clearly it was, how do you know it was made by a Zero (as opposed to an Oscar or some other aeroplane) Could it not have perhaps been flak? Did the documentary clearly state what brought the Fort down?

Also how do you know what blew the aileron off if it is missing? For example if the plane was brought down by an enemy fighter it is possible that it lost the aileron after a collision.

EJGrOst_Caspar
07-27-2006, 04:27 AM
Or somebody needed it as a roof for his hut. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Destroyer110
08-02-2006, 11:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Sounds like a neat show. Sorry I missed it. I didn't see the show, so sorry right of the bat.

I am a natural sceptic. If the damage was battle damage, clearly it was, how do you know it was made by a Zero (as opposed to an Oscar or some other aeroplane) Could it not have perhaps been flak? Did the documentary clearly state what brought the Fort down?

Also how do you know what blew the aileron off if it is missing? For example if the plane was brought down by an enemy fighter it is possible that it lost the aileron after a collision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for late reply..

They mentioned a Zero on the doco so I assumed they did their reseach.

I think they also mentioned the aileron was missing, but could have come off during the crash?? Crew possibly paniced when under attack and brought the aircraft down. Apparent all engines were still working (props still spinning) when it crashed.

The plane had all it's guns and the rear turret(?) still moved.

Amazing!!