PDA

View Full Version : The Tempest. Having problems making the most of it, advice please

Mysticpuma2003
02-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Ok, I have (and probably will be forever) been a P-47 flyer, it's just my favourite plane.

For a change though, I decided to take the Tempest out for a run, after hearing a lot of friends recommending it.

My first sortie (and only so-far), I managed to down a 110. 190 and 109, but even though this is a good rate of success, I felt vulnerable for two reasons.

1) The rear view with that massive backplate and no rear-view mirror! Now I use Track IR, so I was constantly checking my situation, and even though I had a 109 beat me up, I managed to out-turn him until friendly help arrived, but I could never get onto him for a 'snap' deflection shot.

2) The engine. I hear much about it's speed and power, but using 100% Prop-pitch and Boost Wep to climb, it never felt like I was getting any purchase on the air and the engine sounded like it was going to over-rev and burn out.

I had the radiator open and overheated for about 5 seconds, just once, but using PP, kept it under control.

What I am finding difficult is the lack of speed. I hear much about it power, but dead-level wih Wep Boost, PP 100-80% and flaps raised, I was struggling to get above 350 kmh.

(The gear was up to http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

What strengths of the Tempest am I missing or not optomising?

Cheers, MP.

anarchy52
02-17-2008, 04:03 AM
1.) You shot down 3 enemy planes in one sortie
2.) You had to check your 6 constantly
3.) You out turned a 109 with a damaged aircraft
4.) You didn't use pp exploit
5.) You engine overheated (see 4.) )

To make the long story short - I guess it just isn't 25 a pounder Spit or an La-7...

JtD
02-17-2008, 04:11 AM
I figure your game is bugged and you got the I-16 FM with the Tempest 3D model.

There is no way to fly as slow as 350 km/h if you know the basics. Are you sure you weren't reading knots or mph?

Skunk_438RCAF
02-17-2008, 06:27 AM
The Tempest has a very high powered engine that likes to give out power at high throttle low revs settings.

If you want speed, once you are at your altitude, bring your PP down to 70% or even 60%. You wont accelerate like a Spitfire, but once you get your top speed you should be able to keep it fairly easily.

For cruise I'll use 75%Th-75%PP, for pure speed I'll go for 100%th-60-65%PP. For climb, 100%th-90%PP. I'll only use WEP for that extra ooomph in a fight.

Dont worry about the feeling of over revving the engine, thats how the Sabre was designed. Its quite normal to see it go into really high RPM when compared to a Merlin.

Also, the Tempest is not a good dogfighter, you lose too much energy in turns, a bit like the P-47. Its one heavy mother to fly. It likes high altitude BnZ much like the Jug or the Corsair though. As a canon firing platform it is deadly, those 4 Hispanos will chew their way through anything.

crucislancer
02-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Skunk pretty much said it all.

It has a supercharger for high altitude work, I think it's best to switch above 12,000 feet, but I rarely go that high in it so I don't recall.

It picks up speed very quickly in a dive, so be careful of that, quite easy to lose a wing on pull out. It doesn't have the same tolerances as the Jup, I think if you hit 450 kts you need to start worrying. Lower PP to 50%, and you'll leave your lunch behind. As you pick up speed, quickly push the PP up to 100%, and see what happens.

Trim constantly. It seems like the Tempest needs to be trimmed up every couple of seconds, thanks to the fact that it picks up and loses speed so quickly.

If you play without the speed bar, you will note that the speedometer is in Knots. Not sure why this is, I always thought that the RAF used MPH for all their planes.

In a stall, the Tempest tends to flop over on it's back. Climbing turns with a bit too much stick pressure are usually the cause.

Liquid-cooled engine = one hit wonder. Big surprise when coming from the Jug or Corsair.

Skunk_438RCAF
02-17-2008, 10:22 AM
I forgot about the trims...I have a hat on my stick mapped to the trims and when flying the Tempest I am constantly changing the rudder trim.

The elevator trim I like to have on the nose heavy side, but thats just because it suits my flying style.

mortoma
02-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Holy Carp!! The last time I flew that biotch I got over 500Kph near the ground. Has something changed drastically?? Only 350Kph?? Heading to the game now to try her out for the first time in a while.

mortoma
02-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Ok, I'm back. I took her out in QMB on the default Japanese map. I left rad closed, turned on WEP, trimmed and stayed at 1000 meters and went all out until it overheated. I got to 560KPH right as the overheat warning came on. Then I turned off wep, opened rads all the way, reduced to 99% and still was able to maintain 510KPH after the overheat stopped and I closed the rads again. I never went back to above 99%throttle and just flew like that with no WEP and stayed at 510Kph easily.

Xiolablu3
02-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Basically, fly it as an Allied FW190.

Lowish climb rate (when compared to the common super light interceptors - bf109 and Spitfire)

Very Fast dive.

Very Heavy Firepower

Poorish horizontal Turn at low speed

High top speed

Very good manouverability at very high speeds.

Very good down low, not very good up high.

Its basically a FW190 with a slower roll at low speeds.

VW-IceFire
02-17-2008, 12:58 PM
First about the backplate...a poor choice of camera positioning and the inability to lean to either side gives the Tempest a disadvantage that the real one did not have. The real one is rated as having excellent visibility in all quarters. In-game you'll have to compensate with a wingman if possible or just a constant checking of six and making turns every few minutes to try and keep awareness of whats going on behind. That said I almost always get bounced low 6 by some 109 that just nails me when I play in the cockpit/external locked servers. Anyways beside the point.

The engine is VERY high powered so whatever you were doing was not to its liking http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Try WEP but with 70% prop pitch. You can run that and the rads only partially open for a very long time. In combat I'll "cruise" at 70% + WEP and then boost upto 90% + WEP for short periods when I really need the power.

The Tempest has a laminar flow wing but with better loading than the Mustang so its turn rate is surprisingly good...deceptively so as its only good for a short period of time. Do not stall the Tempest in a turn as recovery is quick but makes you vulnerable. Treat the Tempest as a boom and zoom machine. High dive speed (rivals the P-47), high acceleration, and heavy firepower are the Tempests attributes.

If in trouble perform a snap roll and hard break turn to avoid a bounce and then dive for speed.

Phas3e
02-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Good posts guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've never really been able to get the most out of the tempest but I'll try these tips, and see how I go

VW-IceFire
02-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Oh I forgot to mention...the Tempests heavy firepower is greater than most know. The Mark V Hispanos have slightly faster fire rate than the standard versions...its hard to notice in the heat of combat but the added fire rate means that the Tempests weight of fire is higher than most fighters with the exception of the 3xMK108 Bf109, 4xMK108 Me-262, and a few others from the 1946 stable.

With the excellent visibility and gunsight (projected directly to the windscreen) focus on trying to make short bursts. If you hit the mark a very short burst will be devastating. I once caught a slightly unwary 109 in a slight climb and with a 2 second burst took off both wings.

CloCloZ
02-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Oh I forgot to mention...the Tempests heavy firepower is greater than most know. The Mark V Hispanos have slightly faster fire rate than the standard versions...its hard to notice in the heat of combat but the added fire rate means that the Tempests weight of fire is higher than most fighters with the exception of the 3xMK108 Bf109, 4xMK108 Me-262, and a few others from the 1946 stable.

I used the estimated gun power given at http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/WW2guneffect.htm and the max in-game firing time I measured for several IL-2 1946 aircraft to compute a "Total on-board Fire Power" (total gun power * fire time).
It results that Tempest is in second position and very close to Me262 A-1a (which, not surprisingly, has the highest ranking), because the Tempest has 19 seconds of fire whereas Me262 just nine seconds.
Not bad, not bad at all ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Xiolablu3
02-17-2008, 04:28 PM
ABout the cannon only armament of the Tempest, I find it tough to use.

I think its because teh machine guns ont he Spit or FW190 really aid in aiming for me. I knwo they have a different trajectory to the cannons, however they make a definitely trail to the target, and I find my cannons basically are 'close enopugh' in trajectory out to about 400m (normal aiming distance) to help me out.

I find shooting cannon armed aircraft far more accurate when I fire machine guns at the same time. I dont know what it is, probably the tracer, although you can see the trails of the cannon shells too.

I just know that I hit far, far better with a Spitfire, FW190 or Bf109 which has cannons AND mg's than the Tempest or La5 which have just cannons.

I know that in WW2 Hurricane IID's (with the 40mm tankbuster) used to keep two brownings on board for aiming purposes, and also FW190 pilots were fond of keeping the mg's too. Purely as they were good for sighting the cannons. It seems to work the same for me in the sim.

mynameisroland
02-18-2008, 06:30 AM
I think its due to rate of fire xiola. 40mm was slow and tough to aim with. The Tempest should have - but doesnt have in IL2 - the Hispanno Mk V which had a similar rate of fire as the .50 cal. So aiming with 4 x 20mm should be the same as aiming with 4 x 50 cal of the Wildcat or Mustang B/C/III

thefruitbat
02-18-2008, 06:49 AM
I thought the tempest in game did have the MkV hispano?

mynameisroland
02-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by thefruitbat:
I thought the tempest in game did have the MkV hispano?

it has 800 rounds in total, 200 rpg, do a test and see on average what firing time you get. I did and found it to be a lot less than a Mk V and very close to a Mk II.

Bremspropeller
02-18-2008, 08:43 AM
I know that in WW2 Hurricane IID's (with the 40mm tankbuster) used to keep two brownings on board for aiming purposes, and also FW190 pilots were fond of keeping the mg's too. Purely as they were good for sighting the cannons.

Though true for the most part, it's not entirely true for the 190.
MGs (even MG131s) were sometimes stripped as they were deemed too weak for anti-bomber work (the 17s rifle-caliber MGs were called "Luftwaffenklopfgerät", meaning "Luftwaffe knock-knock device"- as in knocking on a door).
Therefore they were taken off, in order to save some weight with the already heavyly laden Sturmböcke.

The G variants also didn't use MGs - they only had the two wingroot 20s.

I gotta say, I don't use the MGs much in game (well, they're coupled with the root-cannons, but I'd not use them without that coupling, only in case I've run out of cannon ammo).
I'd just go in as close as possible and give him hell http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
Elseway I'd make a snapshot under great deflection angles - MGs don't have any use in there...you either hit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif , or you don't. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif