PDA

View Full Version : very very addicted

ern_wheeler
09-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Hi guys,

I've owned Forgotten Battles for about a year, and Pacific Fighters for about 6 months. Recently purchased AEP and now I get a merged install which is mad mad as a martian!!!

And then everytime I watch my Midway documentary, man all I wanna do is jump in the dauntless dive bomber or the hellcat...Me thinks i have the flying bug...or a warbird bug or something...I've been a long time user of the MS Flight Sims, but recent PC problems now prevent me from enjoying that to its fullest.

So I was playing the Finnish campaign for a bit (before I got AEP) and man, all I could think about at work was getting home to fly the next recon mission or whatever...and now I am severely behind in my uni studies!

But I'm an Aussie, so as soon as I got my merged install up and running, I got right into the Singapore campaign for the RAAF!

So, I'm learning how to fly the Hurri, and for the first time I've enabled CEM, and I'm trying to work out what radiators and superchargers and propellor pitch does...I already knew what mixture was all about http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And some helpful posts on this sight have referred me to heaps of info, so cheers for that!

Anyways, I'm trying my first mission in the Hurri and I can't keep up with my AI buddies...so I figure thats it's me and I check out these forums and read up a bit on CEM, and now I'm confident that I can keep up (Although I haven't tried yet).

But now I'm a bit troubled...

Firstly, I hear that editing the mission distance via the conf.ini file (for DGEN) doesn't work outside of carrier ops? Please tell me it ain't so, cause I don't really wanna be flying and run outta fuel...often. It seems that this is a pretty persistent problem throughout Pacific campaigns. Please someone tell me this has been adjusted in a recent patch? Puhleeese!
Also, instead of setting a range in this of say 200km, is it possible to enter a range of values of say 30-200km. This would make mission lengths a bit more variable which I'm all for. Or is it that if I put in a value of 200, it will generate mission lenghts between say 20-200km anyway instead of missions around the 200km mark everytime?

Secondly, I undestand that if I feel that my AI buddies are still flying too fast, I can edit their cruise speed via the pacificplanes.dat file. I think I can do this...but is it gonna create bigger problems for me somewhere else? And is this a common solution people have adopted? I thought about the DCG download...but my personal preference is to keep things stock, so I wanna see if I can persist with the Dgen and make it workable for me.

I have tried searching these forums for the last couple of hours, but given the progressive nature of patches and whatnot, its kinda hard to know if a gripe has already been resolved through a patch. Hopefully it won't take too long for someone here to bring me up to speed?

Finally, does anyone know of a high quality Midway and Coral Sea downloadable campaign? I would love to give these a go. Also, a link or two to some flight data on the Hurricane would be greatly appreciated. I wanna be able to fight and 'fly' this bird too! Then I'll upgrade to the Spitfire or something...

Oh, and before someone says that I should try fly online I can't. A 56kb modem means I'm strictly an offline flyer!!

Cheers again for your help!

Ern-Wheeler

ps. How good is the Aussie voices...heh heh...what does he say, something about being a joker? Heh heh, love it...though its a bit stereotyped...we don't really sound like that...but it's funny anyway.

ern_wheeler
09-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Woops, me again.

I should mention that I'm patched up to 4.04m

Cheers again

-HH-Quazi
09-20-2006, 08:03 AM
I have a squadm8 flying online at HL on 28.8 modem and does just fine. It is all on how you set up your modem. There are tweaks to allow a dial-up m8 like yourself to enjoy an online excursion m8. Perhaps a topic for you to start another thread on?

Go to www.mission4today.com (http://www.mission4today.com) and see if there are any of the types of missions there that you would want to fly.

mortoma1958
09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by ern_wheeler:
Hi guys,

I've owned Forgotten Battles for about a year, and Pacific Fighters for about 6 months. Recently purchased AEP and now I get a merged install which is mad mad as a martian!!!

And then everytime I watch my Midway documentary, man all I wanna do is jump in the dauntless dive bomber or the hellcat...Me thinks i have the flying bug...or a warbird bug or something...I've been a long time user of the MS Flight Sims, but recent PC problems now prevent me from enjoying that to its fullest.

So I was playing the Finnish campaign for a bit (before I got AEP) and man, all I could think about at work was getting home to fly the next recon mission or whatever...and now I am severely behind in my uni studies!

But I'm an Aussie, so as soon as I got my merged install up and running, I got right into the Singapore campaign for the RAAF!

So, I'm learning how to fly the Hurri, and for the first time I've enabled CEM, and I'm trying to work out what radiators and superchargers and propellor pitch does...I already knew what mixture was all about http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And some helpful posts on this sight have referred me to heaps of info, so cheers for that!

Anyways, I'm trying my first mission in the Hurri and I can't keep up with my AI buddies...so I figure thats it's me and I check out these forums and read up a bit on CEM, and now I'm confident that I can keep up (Although I haven't tried yet).

But now I'm a bit troubled...

Firstly, I hear that editing the mission distance via the conf.ini file (for DGEN) doesn't work outside of carrier ops? Please tell me it ain't so, cause I don't really wanna be flying and run outta fuel...often. It seems that this is a pretty persistent problem throughout Pacific campaigns. Please someone tell me this has been adjusted in a recent patch? Puhleeese!
Also, instead of setting a range in this of say 200km, is it possible to enter a range of values of say 30-200km. This would make mission lengths a bit more variable which I'm all for. Or is it that if I put in a value of 200, it will generate mission lenghts between say 20-200km anyway instead of missions around the 200km mark everytime?

Secondly, I undestand that if I feel that my AI buddies are still flying too fast, I can edit their cruise speed via the pacificplanes.dat file. I think I can do this...but is it gonna create bigger problems for me somewhere else? And is this a common solution people have adopted? I thought about the DCG download...but my personal preference is to keep things stock, so I wanna see if I can persist with the Dgen and make it workable for me.

I have tried searching these forums for the last couple of hours, but given the progressive nature of patches and whatnot, its kinda hard to know if a gripe has already been resolved through a patch. Hopefully it won't take too long for someone here to bring me up to speed?

Finally, does anyone know of a high quality Midway and Coral Sea downloadable campaign? I would love to give these a go. Also, a link or two to some flight data on the Hurricane would be greatly appreciated. I wanna be able to fight and 'fly' this bird too! Then I'll upgrade to the Spitfire or something...

Oh, and before someone says that I should try fly online I can't. A 56kb modem means I'm strictly an offline flyer!!

Cheers again for your help!

Ern-Wheeler

ps. How good is the Aussie voices...heh heh...what does he say, something about being a joker? Heh heh, love it...though its a bit stereotyped...we don't really sound like that...but it's funny anyway. Yes, you can edit both the Europlanes.dat and Pacificplanes.dat to limit speeds and
no, it won't adversely affect anything else. Never has for me. As far as the Singapore campaign goes, it was not done very well and you get missions generated that are too far for the range of Hurricanes and they will run out of fuel. This is not a problem in any other Pacific campaign as far as I know. Someone several months ago did some reworking of the Dgen files for the Singapore campaign which supposedly helped. They posted the info at the SimHq forums but I don't remember who it was. The Missiondistance edit in the conf.ini file does not work very well for most of the Pacific campaigns. I guess it works for some ground based camapaigns but not for carrier ops or something like that. Or maybe I got that reversed?? I have not flown Pacific campaigns for a while.

Getting back to the AI speed hacks, you can go ahead and edit the dat files to slow AI down but you should not have to do that for the hurri, I can keep up easily in the Hurri campaigns. Before you edit the dat file, try this. After takeoff don't worry about the AI running out in front of you at first. Be patient and don't try to gain altitude and climb too fast. If you do you slow down too much. Climb at a more shallow attitude and keep your climb speed at least 350KPH. See if that helps you. Most people who have trouble keeping up with the AI get way behind in the first few minutes after takeoff during climb out. They usually try to climb too hard, resist this impulse and you will catch up easily later.

Bobario
09-20-2006, 11:41 AM
I always used to run out of fuel during the Singapore campaign too, till I learned to use the Throttle and Prop Pitch to reduce the engines RPM. If you fly everywhere at 100% PP and 100% throttle, you wont have enough fuel. When you catch up with the AI, try throttling back to 75% or less and reduce prop pitch to about the same. You will fly slower but use much less fuel. Be careful not to spend too much time dogfighting though, or you wont make it back to base. The AI dont seem to have fuel guages, as they will stay and dogfight for ages and then run dry on the way back home. Also remember there are a couple of Allied airstrips at the Eastern edge of the map, just South of the front lines. I`ve had to use them myself a few times. If you fly with max fuel economy in mind you will make it to the target and back, just dont expect to spend too much time over the target.

strider1
09-20-2006, 11:46 AM
~S~ ern_wheeler! Welcome to the community. Suggestion if you're not die-hard hands-on at all times. I've read in other threads that the AI are too speedy when you're not the flight leader. After take=off, quickly set your engine controls (throttle, mixture and prop pitch) for level cruise and trim as well---then hit Auto-pilot (A by default) and the game will keep you in close formation until you decide that the flight is on cruise alt and speed. Be prepared for a quick adjustment of attitude (and possibly throttle and trim, as well!) when you turn the Auto-pilot off. Usually no problem keeping pace then. If you find yourself lagging behind, simply repeat the Auto-pilot trick until you're in satisfactory position again (and the flight leader stops saying "What the Hell?..."). Practice, as well as the other good suggestions above, will help you develope formation skills soon. Also, to shorten long flight times without changing the .ini, use the Auto-pilot and time compression ( ] key by default) until you close in on the target, then return to normal time (' key by default). You'll get some interesting graphics, by the way! You can use time compression without the Auto-pilot but be ready for some wild gyrations because your inputs are also time-altered! Not my ideas but read about these "tricks" in other threads. Surprised you haven't seen them through your searching but have found that tool invaluable in answering such questions. When that fails, there are many members who are only too happy to assist, even when the question has been asked many times. Seems most new flyers run into the same problems. I have a binder where I write down such ideas for easy reference later. Keep an index because you'll wind up with a whole slew of them and usually need it quick when your situation calls for a command key that isn't used very often but you need it NOW! I also have a checklist page in short form of such commands close by. Lots to learn but practice and repetition will get you learned in short order (got tired real quick of disaster striking because I didn't know the command key I needed right then!). Search and read the forums and you'll see lots of stuff that will undoubtedly come to the surface as you progress. Regards and cheers! Strider1

ern_wheeler
09-20-2006, 03:15 PM
alrighty then!

Cheers for all your help. Sounds like the mission length thing prolly wasn't as resolved as well as I would have liked it to have been through a patch, but that game is that good that I can forgive its minor foibles.

Does anyone know that if i set the mission length in the conf.ini if this will generate all missions to be about that range, or will it generate mission distances from say 30km up to the range I select? I don't want every mission I fly in campaign to be roughly the same length each time, i want a bit of variety that can include long hops and shorter hops.

I will have to practise flying in the Hurri to keep up, sounds like it shouldn't be a problem! Happy day when I can keep up huh! Out of curiosity, not that I will use this immediately but is there a pacificplanes.dat file that has been tweaked and ready for download?

Lastly to -HH-Quazi, flying online with a 28.8kb modem? Surely not? Doesn't it get choppy or lag alot? Are there anyone useful websites i can browse to learn about configuring my modem and what not?

Cheers fellas

Ern_Wheeler

Bearcat99
09-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Nope..... you may have issues.. but there are lots of folks who are online with dialup. Dont let your modem stop you.... you can still get some online action... HYPERLOBBY (http://hyperfighter.sk/). Just download the HL client and give it a go. Try some of the coops... you are welcome to pop into any 99th COOP going.

VW-IceFire
09-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah most of us need a support group...its that awesome a game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Welcome! We now own your soul!!!

JG52Karaya-X
09-21-2006, 12:48 AM
BTW, for editing campaign parameters make sure you download and install "IL2 Sturmovik Stab", a must have program for all IL2 pilots

http://www.users.on.net/~mjtm/IL-2/ (http://www.users.on.net/%7Emjtm/IL-2/)

This program also allows to edit a whole range of settings that you can only reach via the conf.ini file

Worf101
09-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah, RAAF compaign. I solved that little "gas shortage problem" by enabling "instant success" on my settings. After that I didn't worrry about running out of gas on the way home I just did what needed doing and got as close to home as I could before ending the mission... Hurricane's 12 .303's do a nice job on Japanese fighters though. But leave the bombers alone unless you've a good angle or a head on P/K or engine shot.

Da Worfster

skissors
09-21-2006, 06:28 PM
I have started playing the Singapore campaign For The RAAF and I'm enjoying it, more because of the speech. The Australian Pilots don't seem to sound that annoyed if you fly off course, they seem very laid back. Where as the German, Russian and English Pilots all seem to want to carve you a new A-hole.

Firestorm07
09-21-2006, 06:59 PM
G'day Wheeler,

Mate, there are heaps of guys out there on 56k, we've got two pilots in our squad still with it, I only got ADSL last month and have been online with my squad for about three years.

As Bearcat said, dont let 56k stop you. On a solid 56k connection you can fly online on most Aussie servers, with Teamspeak comms active and without a hitch. A ping of about 100-200 is expected, with spikes to 300 sometimes, which is still more than manageable.

If you want to meet dozens of other fellow Aussie Pilots, come fly with us on the "Real Aussie Air Force". In Hyperlobby, look for anyone with _RAAF_ in front of their callsign, you'll see me as _RAAF_Firestorm, our CO is _RAAF_Furball

Go here: www.raafsquad.com (http://www.raafsquad.com)

Feel free to browse our website and pop into the forums. We are a friendly group with plenty of knowhow. We're currently on 4.04m with some members on 4.05m as an option, and are reserving our decision to go the whole hog till we see contents of 4.06m live.

Looking forward to seeing you on line mate.

PS - I finished the Singapore campaign flying a Hurri and I basically flew short range attack on the long missions by ignoring a far target and attacking targets of opportunity along the way. Also staying close to base affords you the possibility of defending against incoming bombers if they arrive (happens later in the campaign as the japanese overrun Singapore) This method doesnt yield the best results but it makes it more realistic than flying a mission that you're not going to return from. BTW, when the campaign ends and you fly in New Guinea, the beaufighters are erroneously tagged with American markings. You get no plane choice on the transition unfortunately, so I ended my pilot's campaign there.

Good luck.

-HH-Quazi
09-21-2006, 07:47 PM
What I meant to say is that my m8 uses a 56K external modem, but his phoneline is only good for 28.8K. He lives way out in the country and is on old copper. But he connects to Hyperlobby and hardly ever gets ping kicked. Plus he connects to our server(s) throughout the week and weekends and his ping is always constantly staying between 250 & 350. Not bad for a 28.8K connection at all. Of course there are certain tweaks that dial-up users use that helps. I am sure if you ask these tweaks will be shared with you m8.

mortoma1958
09-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by TommyAtkins1966:
I always used to run out of fuel during the Singapore campaign too, till I learned to use the Throttle and Prop Pitch to reduce the engines RPM. If you fly everywhere at 100% PP and 100% throttle, you wont have enough fuel. When you catch up with the AI, try throttling back to 75% or less and reduce prop pitch to about the same. You will fly slower but use much less fuel. Be careful not to spend too much time dogfighting though, or you wont make it back to base. The AI dont seem to have fuel guages, as they will stay and dogfight for ages and then run dry on the way back home. Also remember there are a couple of Allied airstrips at the Eastern edge of the map, just South of the front lines. I`ve had to use them myself a few times. If you fly with max fuel economy in mind you will make it to the target and back, just dont expect to spend too much time over the target. Since the AI still run out of fuel on those missions, it doesn't help very much even if you don't. We need a fix that will stop the AI from running out of fuel too.

mortoma1958
09-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Worf101:
Yeah, RAAF compaign. I solved that little "gas shortage problem" by enabling "instant success" on my settings. After that I didn't worrry about running out of gas on the way home I just did what needed doing and got as close to home as I could before ending the mission... Hurricane's 12 .303's do a nice job on Japanese fighters though. But leave the bombers alone unless you've a good angle or a head on P/K or engine shot.

Da Worfster You solution is ok for those who don't care about going home to land. But for many of us, landing back at home at the end of a successful mission is part of the immersion and fun. So therefore your method is not satisfactory for everybody either.

mortoma1958
09-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by strider1:
~S~ ern_wheeler! Welcome to the community. Suggestion if you're not die-hard hands-on at all times. I've read in other threads that the AI are too speedy when you're not the flight leader. After take=off, quickly set your engine controls (throttle, mixture and prop pitch) for level cruise and trim as well---then hit Auto-pilot (A by default) and the game will keep you in close formation until you decide that the flight is on cruise alt and speed. Be prepared for a quick adjustment of attitude (and possibly throttle and trim, as well!) when you turn the Auto-pilot off. Usually no problem keeping pace then. If you find yourself lagging behind, simply repeat the Auto-pilot trick until you're in satisfactory position again (and the flight leader stops saying "What the Hell?..."). Practice, as well as the other good suggestions above, will help you develope formation skills soon. Also, to shorten long flight times without changing the .ini, use the Auto-pilot and time compression ( ] key by default) until you close in on the target, then return to normal time (' key by default). You'll get some interesting graphics, by the way! You can use time compression without the Auto-pilot but be ready for some wild gyrations because your inputs are also time-altered! Not my ideas but read about these "tricks" in other threads. Surprised you haven't seen them through your searching but have found that tool invaluable in answering such questions. When that fails, there are many members who are only too happy to assist, even when the question has been asked many times. Seems most new flyers run into the same problems. I have a binder where I write down such ideas for easy reference later. Keep an index because you'll wind up with a whole slew of them and usually need it quick when your situation calls for a command key that isn't used very often but you need it NOW! I also have a checklist page in short form of such commands close by. Lots to learn but practice and repetition will get you learned in short order (got tired real quick of disaster striking because I didn't know the command key I needed right then!). Search and read the forums and you'll see lots of stuff that will undoubtedly come to the surface as you progress. Regards and cheers! Strider1 You can easily stay with the AI without using autopliot in almost all of the planes if you fly correctly. No need to rob realism and immersion from the game by using the autopilot if one does not have to. There are only a scant few planes that have default speeds ( in Dgen campaign career ) set too high and therefore need modding of the campaign files for a fix. I can keep up easily so therefore so can you and everybody else. Just need to learn to fly better. No condescension or offense intended. I don't mean "learn to fly" in a mean manner like some. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I only suggested modding the files in my first post in the thread as a "easy" solution in the case of the original poster's problem with the Hurri. It just so happens that the Hurricane is one of the majority of planes that a person can keep up in easily if they don't try to climb too aggressively. Trying to climb too steeply in the first few minutes of takeoff is by far the biggest reason people can't keep up. There are many people in the forums that simply give up too easily and then propagate the myth that you can't keep up with the AI. I keep up every day in almost all the planes in the game set.

Worf101
09-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by mortoma1958:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:

Da Worfster You solution is ok for those who don't care about going home to land. But for many of us, landing back at home at the end of a successful mission is part of the immersion and fun. So therefore your method is not satisfactory for everybody either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No it's not, but there's only a few mission wher you know you're beyond the operational range of the Hurricane and you'e no droptank option. What's the sense of escorting bombers all that way, racking up some good kills only to have and "refly" cause the dumb mission builder forces you to belly flop in a field somewhere?

Da Worfster

ern_wheeler
09-23-2006, 06:17 AM
bewdy mate...

good news alround! I'll have to learn how to drive me Hurri better before joining youse in the virtual skies however!

For those of you who want to know, I flew another mission in the Hurri (a tank busting one which I sucked at, missed everything, and instead of staying with the flight, disobeyed my wingman and helped out a buddy (from another flight) getting harassed by two zeroes, so I like to think that I had a part in him enjoying life, for another day at least...)

Anyways, I kept up!!! I kept up with my buddies, and the ridiculous thing is I was able to do it at 70% engine power! So as long as I operate my engine correctly, should be a piece of cake. Some of youse might laugh, but the fact that I've stepped up in terms of trying to fly, and dogfight whilst also having the responsibility of engine management made the flight so much satisfying for me, even though I scored no gound kills or air kills. Today anyways. But did I mention that I save some aussies a$$. And I live to fight another day!

So there you have it. It can be done! Gotta defend my airbase from incoming bombers which will be interesting cos it seems to me that the Hurri is a dog in acceleration. Just takes ages to get up to speed. And I just can't wait to see how long it takes me to get to bomber altitude. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Anyways, see youse in the skies shortly huh?

Hey, those Pe-2 and future add-ons that have got to be paid for. Will they materially change the game in terms of the dynamic campaigns? What I'm saying is that within these add-ons, will there be fixes for the AI running out of fuel? Ooh, and are there any Hurri drivers here? Seems that it wouldn't be an overly popular plaine to anybody, my preference is the P-40 myself.

Anyways, cheers for all your input! See youse at support group tonight huh?

Ernie Wheeler