View Full Version : Vaguely On Topic ;) EA and UBI

B16Enk
12-30-2004, 01:03 PM
EA are buying more UBISoft shares:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4112605.stm

"Games giant EA buys Ubisoft stake
Image from Ubisoft game Prince of Persia
Ubisoft has a portfolio of more than 1,000 games titles
Shares in French game maker Ubisoft were up 24% after the world's leading video game publisher, Electronic Arts, said it was buying 19.9% of the firm.

However Ubisoft said it would consider EA's stake-building as "hostile", until it received further details.

EA is buying a block of Ubisoft shares from Talpa Beheer BV, the investment vehicle of Dutch tycoon John de Mol.

Experts have valued the deal at between $85m (43.6m) and $100m, making it one of EA's largest acquisitions.

EA said the stake did not allow it to exercise any control over Ubisoft, Europe's third-biggest independent video game publisher and the maker of recent hit game Prince of Persia: Warrior Within."

Could prove interesting.....

B16Enk
12-30-2004, 01:03 PM
EA are buying more UBISoft shares:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4112605.stm

"Games giant EA buys Ubisoft stake
Image from Ubisoft game Prince of Persia
Ubisoft has a portfolio of more than 1,000 games titles
Shares in French game maker Ubisoft were up 24% after the world's leading video game publisher, Electronic Arts, said it was buying 19.9% of the firm.

However Ubisoft said it would consider EA's stake-building as "hostile", until it received further details.

EA is buying a block of Ubisoft shares from Talpa Beheer BV, the investment vehicle of Dutch tycoon John de Mol.

Experts have valued the deal at between $85m (43.6m) and $100m, making it one of EA's largest acquisitions.

EA said the stake did not allow it to exercise any control over Ubisoft, Europe's third-biggest independent video game publisher and the maker of recent hit game Prince of Persia: Warrior Within."

Could prove interesting.....

Capt._Tenneal
12-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Does this mean 1C:Maddox better find a new worldwide distributor soon ? I wonder which is lesser of the 2 evils EA or M$ ?

SeaFireLIV
12-30-2004, 01:13 PM
And a lot of their titles in no way `Challenge everything`. Perhaps `Challenge Everything` just stands for their attempt to assimilate the entire gaming universe.

There aftersales service is awful. NFS4 II on the PC was the biggest load of **** on the planet. I visited its site which were filled with indignant complaints none of which were EVER addressed. This was before its Undeground releases which I`ve never touched since - I certainly will never pay money for any more of their racing stuff.

If IL2 gets taken by these guys they`ll probably cancel it as EA are only strictly interested in Profit, Profit and MORE Profit!

MaxMhz
12-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Well let's face it - UBI isn't big on resolving issues either...

I'm only glad we got Oleg http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif - he's the only one that does something if things are not right...

Agamemnon22
12-30-2004, 06:12 PM
There was tons of support for BF1942, depends on the developer I guess, not so much publisher.

I dislike EA for another reason, some of their offices work their employees into the ground without any compensation whatsoever.

Howie A
12-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Here's an instersting link at Yahoo http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/041230/323/f9e6u.html

A quote from the article:

"Ubi Soft Entertainment SA could receive government support in its fight against the threat of a takeover by US video games giant Electronic Arts, La Tribune newspaper reported without naming its sources."

cwojackson
12-30-2004, 07:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Howie A:
Here's an instersting link at Yahoo http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/041230/323/f9e6u.html

A quote from the article:

"Ubi Soft Entertainment SA could receive government support in its fight against the threat of a takeover by US video games giant Electronic Arts, La Tribune newspaper reported without naming its sources." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's the way to keep quality up...provide a government funded shelter from competition.

Lucius_Esox
12-31-2004, 04:07 AM
This sort of thing my friends is quite simply why the world is in a f****d up state and will only continue to get worse,,,,,,,,, Forget the capitalist dream there is another word for it, greed!! I'm not a pinko sometimes I just feel like a commodity in a sales chart!

Frequent_Flyer
12-31-2004, 06:32 AM
Between the two UBI and EA. EA is hands down the better co.If I had to choose one to invest in after a careful analogy UBI is not even in the team picture.As for a business partner, Oleg would be infinately better with EA.Just on the strength of marketing and resources alone put your money on EA.They just spent nearly a half a billion dollars for the exclusive rights to produce games using the NFL properties.-No copyright infringment.Change is good my friend!

Lucius_Esox
12-31-2004, 07:19 AM
Yep way to go, which one is the better to invest in!!! (sic) How about the one that gives us what we want! Uh I forgot thats not the issue here.

Frequent_Flyer
12-31-2004, 12:34 PM
The only way you truely ever can get what 'it'is you want, is to do 'it' yourself.Otherwise you'll have to except what others do for you.