PDA

View Full Version : does Assassin's creed brotherhood PC need internet?

hatchetswing
10-08-2010, 08:19 PM
I WILL NOT buy the Assasin's Creed Brotherhood PC game if it has that stupid requirment for single player online access like the last one. That was the dumbest thing I have ever seen a developer do. Needing online access the whole time you play, even to save??? Are you serious??? I have a PC, and I love it to much to waste my money on a consule. So when I heard Assasin's creed 2 was coming to PC I was very excited. But I didn't buy it when I learned about the online access need. That is freakin rediculas. And even if you do have internet, it failed to work some of the time. Why a developer of a game would do that is beyond me. They said it was for copy writing purposes. But they ended up shooting themselves in the foot on this one. A lot of people I've talked to didn't buy it either. If this new one has the same MAJOR flaw I won't buy it either. PC gamers diserve better, I hope Ubisoft learned there lesson, and decided not to repeat it.

AubreyWilborn
10-08-2010, 08:48 PM
All indications hint that Ubisoft is repeating the same DRM thing with Brotherhood. Sorry, bro.

yly3
10-08-2010, 11:41 PM
I found an article which states that Ubisoft gave up to DRM because of the low sales in PC copies. BUT they apparently they want to use some variation of SteamWorks (I used AC2 on Steam anyway) which you will need internet anyway but only when you start the game ..

Source is from an article but not in English . Check the web

ApocaLeepse
10-09-2010, 01:42 AM
I agree, I really wanted to get Assassin's Creed 2 on it's release for the PC, but I couldn't because at the time, I didn't have a solid internet connection and I didn't like the fact that it would boot you if your internet so much as hiccupped.

I just didn't like the fact that you needed a solid internet connection for a SINGLEPLAYER ONLY game. _

Xanatos2007
10-09-2010, 04:34 AM
I hope they don't Steam the game - I hate Steam. I don't really see the point of buying a physical copy of a game and then have to re-download the entire thing when I get home. Not to mention the constant mandatory updates that take forever to complete.

And may I remind Ubisoft that not everybody has unlimited broadband!

M-dahaka
10-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
I hope they don't Steam the game - I hate Steam. I don't really see the point of buying a physical copy of a game and then have to re-download the entire thing when I get home. Not to mention the constant mandatory updates that take forever to complete.

what do you mean, redownload the entire thing? You just have to install the disc, link it to your account, and you're done. And i think it's great they keep the games updated. Would you rather pay for DLC on the Xbox360 for L4D and L4D2 than get it for free on steam? Would you rather keep bugs that make the game annoying than have patches for it?

Also, the current DRM from Ubi isn't that bad. Sure, you have to be connected to the internet, but it's not that it eats away broadband. I think it's like 1 MB/hour. Hell, i was even able to play it when i was on smallband without any problems, and i had 4 kbps speed then.

yly3
10-09-2010, 06:19 AM
I think Steam is the best thing that happened to (PC) gaming in a long time. Just getting ridd of the worry of not ever loosing a game and always having a copy available (yeah internet required) worths it for me.

Besides I love playing a game without the need of pressing Alt+Tab when somebody texts me from an Instant Messenger , because you have the Steam messenger incorporated.

I don't know what connection you have but for a long while I used a cheap wireless/dial-up connection from Orange Mobile operator and there were no problems .

The shop is great but there is room for improvement. The only thing which bugs me is paying 50 euros for a brand new over-anticipated game . Paying 50 euros for a digital copy .. What's up with that ? I usually buy it 2 months later when the prices drop to 30 euros or so.

Overall great service

Xanatos2007
10-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Here's what I like: Go home, put disc in drive, click install, wait 20 minutes or so, play game.
Here's what I usually get: Go home, put disc in drive, click install, wait 20 minutes or so, log into Steam, wait for it to install again/register, wait for it to update, play 45 minutes or so later.

And that's when I've got a good connection, but since I've only got a 12GB limit and I'm not the only one in the house we run out pretty quick. And when my internet is snail-paced I can't log into Steam at all. I know there is an offline mode, but in order to do that I need to login in online mode first. At least with Ubis DRM I can still play games with a slow connection.

Also, Steam won't let me play a game unless I download an automatic update first - which is rubbish! The updates take way too long and most of the time don't even do anything. Particularly with Portal: the game worked the first 50 times I played it, I'm pretty sure I don't need a 35 minute update damn it! Seriously, it took me only 20 minutes to download that short game - and about 2 hours to update the damn thing.

AnthonyA85
10-09-2010, 09:28 AM
I've had virtually no problems with steam since i first installed it last year when i got Empire total war.

You should just be thankful Ubisoft haven't gone back to using Starforce. They did that once and got a major lawsuit dumped in their laps.

Xanatos2007
10-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Is Starforce that thing they used on Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory? I'm running Windows Vista and am having no trouble with it...

masterkd.xp
10-09-2010, 10:31 AM
you are talking about 12 GB limit..i've 1.5 GB limit..so think about me..when there is any updates for games i used to download it in a cyber cafe when i get free time..now because of this drm i can't play until i make some free time to download the update and then play..moreover when you have a 1.5 GB limit even 1MB/hour makes you to worry and calculate how much bandwidth it will take away..so I failed to enjoy whole AC2..just played approx 2 hours at a rich friend's home!!

AnthonyA85
10-09-2010, 11:02 AM
IF ubi did change their policy on the DRM/or changed the DRM, i didn't read/see anything about it.

GarethNelson
10-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes, ubisoft do plan on adding their new piracy-promotion system to this new release and probably all releases after. I call it that because it generally leads to more piracy (as legit buyers find out they can't play, so they download a cracked version instead - and at some point just don't bother buying it first).

The DRM doesn't work, and mathematically speaking can't work. It is literally not physically possible unless they want to run the game entirely on their servers in an onlive type setup, which would be completely unsustainable unless you pay regular monthly fees.

Even with this system, the lack of regular repeat revenue makes those DRM servers an ongoing increasing liability for ubisoft - they will NEED to shut them down at some point unless they start charging monthly fees for access.

I personally feel guilty about even owning the console versions due to supporting a company that screws its customers like this, but I can't blame the actual talent within ubisoft for this abomination - the actual talent deserves their payday.

By the way, this thread is likely to get locked as there's a larger thread about the DRM.

GarethNelson
10-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by M-dahaka:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:

what do you mean, redownload the entire thing? You just have to install the disc, link it to your account, and you're done. And i think it's great they keep the games updated. Would you rather pay for DLC on the Xbox360 for L4D and L4D2 than get it for free on steam? Would you rather keep bugs that make the game annoying than have patches for it?

Also, the current DRM from Ubi isn't that bad. Sure, you have to be connected to the internet, but it's not that it eats away broadband. I think it's like 1 MB/hour. Hell, i was even able to play it when i was on smallband without any problems, and i had 4 kbps speed then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he means redownload it as in download the superior product - the pirated copy.

[edit] Sorry, didn't notice the steam bit there - probably means the updates

Xanatos2007
10-09-2010, 11:29 AM
No, not a pirated copy. But sometimes when I buy a physical copy of a game that I have to "activate" through Steam - after installing it from the disc - another Steam window pops up saying "Installing game, please wait until the next moon phase..." And when my internet gets killed as a result I can only assume that I've just downloaded the entire game.

GarethNelson
10-09-2010, 11:53 AM
You shouldn't need to redownload the whole game in an update. It should only be the binaries and maybe some of the content (maps, textures, sounds, scripts etc).

GarethNelson
10-09-2010, 11:58 AM
http://www.computerandvideogam...rticle.php?id=248830 (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=248830)

Xanatos2007
10-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by GarethNelson:
You shouldn't need to redownload the whole game in an update.
Then why does it take so long? If I bought the game on release date then there shouldn't be that many updates anyway.

It should only be the binaries and maybe some of the content (maps, textures, sounds, scripts etc).
I'm fairly certain I never got anything new content-wise out of an update, and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference afterwards anyway (for instance, MW2 still crashes inexplicably after God knows how many updates). It's almost as if I just bought the box and have to download all the sand.

GarethNelson
10-09-2010, 12:23 PM
I didn't mean NEW content, but fixes.

For example, maps sometimes have small gaps where a player can fall into the void. Updates would fix those gaps by closing them. You won't notice any difference most of the time.

hatchetswing
10-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Hey Xanatos2007, I had the same thing happen to me with Empire Total War. After the installation got to a certain point it made me log into steam and download the rest. Up until that point, it took my PC only about 10-15 minutes to install, but once steam started the download/install it took almost an hour to do the rest of the game. I think PC game makers need to calm down about pirates, AAARG!!! If they made Brotherhood like that I guess I could live with it, as long as I didn't need constant internet access to play and save like the last one did. Steam is probably going to be a necessary evil for PC gamers for awhile until they quite being so dang paranoid. Or figure something else out. As a side note I thank you guys for trying to answer my question, any anyone has any solid info about this I would really appreciate it a lot.

mustangmaniak20
10-10-2010, 07:13 AM
The DRM in assassins creed 2 was a complete waste of their time. They hacked it for 2 weeks after the PC release.They will always find a way to hack the security to pirate the game.I think its useless. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

GarethNelson
10-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by mustangmaniak20:
The DRM in assassins creed 2 was a complete waste of their time. They hacked it for 2 weeks after the PC release.They will always find a way to hack the security to pirate the game.I think its useless. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

DRM uses encryption but with a serious flaw:
You give the ciphertext, the plaintext and the key to someone while hoping they won't crack the encryption. It's doomed to fail.

ANYTHING that you can see on your own computer you can copy. ANYTHING. The laws of mathematics do not enable DRM to work.