PDA

View Full Version : American torpedo plane ?

F4U_Flyer
05-24-2005, 09:18 PM
"This is not a rant or a patch whine!"

I was thinking since we cannot get the avenger or hellcat for sometime , if ever how about an alternative! Is it possible to make the SBD able to carry and launch torpedoes? Although i know this is not " Historical" it would allow much more leeway in mission building and be as close to the real thing without of course being the real thing! Food for thought! What ya'll think , is this possible and where to go to make it happen?

I for one vote " YES"

fherathras
05-25-2005, 10:32 AM
"this is not a flame!"

I vote "NO"

:FI:L.F out!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

No, really, I know what you mean, but at the same time something that changes the realism of PF in sutch a drastical way is not welcome by me.

you can be shure, that i want a flyable, carrierborn torpedo-bomber as mutch as you.

but it seems that we will just have to keep using tha beau and the A-20.

goshikisen
05-25-2005, 10:34 AM
While I appreciate your desire for a carrier based torpedo plane... I'd rather go with historical fidelity and vote "NO"

hotspace
05-25-2005, 10:35 AM
I vote that it's F4U's turn to buy the Pizza http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hot Space

unseen84
05-25-2005, 10:38 AM
I'll say no also. If they did this, I might like it at first, but after a while the historical inaccuracy would start to really bother me.

Sharkey888
05-25-2005, 04:25 PM
I'd rather have an SBD than an Il2 doing the torpedo bombing. Since we have HMS BB's what's the difference http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Fennec_P
05-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Since you have HMS BBs, you might as well use Beaufighters http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jarink
05-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by F4U_Flyer:
I was thinking since we cannot get the avenger or hellcat for sometime , if ever how about an alternative!

Huh? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

We 'have' both, just the TBF/TBM is AI only. I want a flyable TBF/TBM and Devestator. And a Helldiver. And a B6N. And a Nell. And a Ki-44. And a...oh forget it.

VF-3Thunderboy
05-25-2005, 07:16 PM
This is nuts. They need to release the info on plane dynamics, and make it "somewhat open", so that the community can make ANY add - on plane they want. Just look at M$ CFS2. There are over 1000 add-on planes.

This would also preserve the manpower for more delicate programing upgrades. There is a TON of talent out there for making ADD-ON planes..It is absurd NOT to use it....

Use it!!!!

JG53Frankyboy
05-25-2005, 07:19 PM
no thx !
i still prefer a proper online play !

jarink
05-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by VF-3Thunderboy:
This is nuts. They need to release the info on plane dynamics, and make it "somewhat open", so that the community can make ANY add - on plane they want. Just look at M$ CFS2. There are over 1000 add-on planes.

This would also preserve the manpower for more delicate programing upgrades. There is a TON of talent out there for making ADD-ON planes..It is absurd NOT to use it....

Use it!!!!

The potential for cheating, let alone inaccuracy is tremendous with an 'open' system. I've seen both kinds of approaches over the years with other games and I must say I prefer a 'closed' game for the sake of realism. It is a simulation, after all, not a fantasy game.

F4U_Flyer
05-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Er....Umm......Ok , Anchovies ok?

I still like the idea only because i don't think we will ever see the real thing , bob prevents that so i guess we wait for a few years , and hope!!

VF-3Thunderboy
05-25-2005, 10:44 PM
A closed mind is an empty plane folder.

After X developers do the planes, they are then send for approval to the UBI plane guys.Maybe you have to prove some credentials to get the tools, sign a contract, etc... but even 20 guys doing planes (for free) would have the desired impact. And maybe you could get around the "American" plane issue, which really means call a Wildcat an F4F-4-Wildcat, not a Grumman Wildcat.

How about a PBY? a Pete? Ki -44, etc...

Judging the MS crowd, there should be a similar
group of people in this community.

You just ned the right combination. There could be a TON of new aircraft, and INFRASTRUCTURE!! Bridges etc....

They really need a way to open some of the development to the general public...It would be to the benefit of all, with NO DRAWBACKS.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

NonWonderDog
05-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Isn't that pretty much how it works now, although not to the same extent? Third parties create the planes, 1C/Maddox programs them? It seems that we've gotten a LOT of new planes in the past that way... it's just been a bit dry (so far) since Pacific Fighters.

If you're suggesting that third parties create the flight and damage models as well as the 3D, I've really got to disagree. It's a lot better the way it is; everything is consistant where it counts. I don't care if the P47 cockpit isn't quite up to snuff, but having lots more planes with potentially vastly different flight or damage models would be horrible.

polkku
05-26-2005, 04:18 PM
A-20 is a flyable American plane and it carries a torpedo.

F4U_Flyer
05-26-2005, 10:51 PM
"A-20 is a flyable American plane and it carries a torpedo."

Yes this is true , but it is not a carrier borne torpedo / bomber!

depalmer
05-27-2005, 12:09 AM
For the last 2 years I would have said no way but the IL2/FB engine is now getting long in the tooth. Maybe it's time for Oleg to consider making (allowing) IL2/FB/PF "open" once his Battle of Britian is on the market. I bought PF just to keep Maadox games solvent knowing it was half baked without allied TB. What Oleg should do once BB is released is to release new planes for IL2 FB PF once a month at $15.00 a pop but make only the "normal" plane set usable on line.

Originally posted by VF-3Thunderboy:

Use it!!!!