PDA

View Full Version : Mods and SoW?

jarink
07-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Since the other thread got locked due to FM discussions, I wanted a chance to restart this topic. Please keep it civil and within Da Rules.

<span class="ev_code_yellow">What, if any, effect will the work being done at AAA and displayed here have on 1C:Maddox's views of modding for the SoW series?</span>

For a long time, I have been an advocate of allowing a structured form of modding to be built into SoW. Why not allow user-created maps, interface mods, visual tweaks (like changing HUD text), sounds, new ground objects, etc? Look how much interest has been generated by just those type of mods for IL2!!! Modding is one of those things that keeps computer games alive by maintaining interest. IL2 is not really an exception to this, since up until recently all of our "mods" (new maps, planes, FM/DM changes, etc) have been delivered by 1C.

It would be slightly more difficult to set up, but I think 1C should also allow new aircraft to be (easily) added to the game along with other "cheat enabling" mods such as changing tracers, clouds (assuming AI vision will be affected by clouds) and so forth. For online play, let the servers lock down everything to the defaults if they want or only allow certain, verified mods. That way, the offliners get a virtually limitless sandbox to play in and onliners get protection from cheating.

"Allowing new user-created maps and planes would cut into sales of future versions of SoW since people could download mods to get MTO or Pacific maps/planes instead of waiting and buying from 1C." Not necessarily. Who here doesn't think Microsoft makes a good amount of revenue from licensing fees for all the payware that's sold for MSFS? You betcha they do. 1C could do the same, I think. Sure, there would still be freeware, but you'd also see a lot more quality work being done if people could legally charge for it. Win - win.

Bearcat99
07-24-2008, 08:43 PM
I speak for no one but myself but I would think that if SoW goes according to the stated plan, which was to allow some modding.. then judging from the work coming from AAA which is the only mod site whose work I am familiar with, I imagine some of it will be very good.. However we don't know the limits to which 1C will set as far as allowed modding goes.. only that there will be some modding allowed.

csThor
07-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I agree with Bearcat. Right now all we can do is polishing the crystal ball, reading coffee grounds or scrutinizing flying swallows. Anything we say will remain idle speculation until Maddox Games releases specific information on the modding possibilities and limitations of SoW.

heywooood
07-24-2008, 10:03 PM
My personal opinion is that modders will mod what they want to mod...not be satisfied with what Oleg or anyone else says is Ok to mod.

1c has said that some online map making tools will be made available and users will likely have more options where skinning is concerned...
also I would assume that certain effects like smoke or exaust/muzzle flash would be adjustable since there was so much ballyhoo over these basically 'cosmetic' details in Il2...

but cockpits...or FM / DM alterations..etc would be under tighter control at first - or at least until the controls are circumvented.
That is the nature of the beast...the 'talented' people that are challenged in this regard always seek to defeat the controls and make the game 'what it should have been from the start' and defend their actions by saying either 'if they were serious about protecting their software, they should have made it harder to beat' or 'if they had made XYZ fly the way I know it is supposed to, I wouldn't have had to change it'

I don't mind cosmetic changes and the maps made by some modders are absolutely stunning so if these kinds of mods are going to be welcomed from the start in 1c's SOW series then thats outstanding - I am in full support of the idea. You can see the love of the game in the quality of some of these.

But I don't expect the modding to end there in SoW... and I do expect the same folks that broke Il2 to be rather quick to break SoW as well (being more familiar with the essentials as they no doubt now are) - its just the way it is.

skarden
07-25-2008, 01:17 AM
the glass is half empty eh haywooood? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

WTE_Ibis
07-25-2008, 02:32 AM
It's totally empty and
it's Olegs shout. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Please Oleg fill my glass till it runneth over.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

vpmedia
07-25-2008, 02:53 AM
there will be not much need for SoW mods imho, because the whole team is much more experienced now...screenshots talk about high quality standards...building custom maps will be cool...I'm only a bit worried about the new aircraft texture system http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rnzoli
07-25-2008, 03:03 AM
there will be not much need for SoW mods imho, because the whole team is much more experienced now
But it's still a rather small team, with serious capacity constraints, and if the flight model/weather etc. are going to be as good as everyone expects, there will be an incredible demand to do all theather, all aircraft of ww2 in 1 year.

rnzoli
07-25-2008, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by heywooood:
But I don't expect the modding to end there in SoW... and I do expect the same folks that broke Il2 to be rather quick to break SoW as well (being more familiar with the essentials as they no doubt now are) - its just the way it is. I would put this a bit differently. If there will be good mooding tools/descriptions for the quality content providers, they will be happy to contribute through legal means, open doors. It's the hacking attemtps, that won't stop.

dgk196
07-25-2008, 06:55 AM
'jarink'

You hit it! Better not to repeat the IL2 situation! Modding is going to go on no matter what your position. I think it would be better to open it up and 'control' it through the users. After all, we'll be paying the piper.........

Making it more user friendly toward mods would guarantee a long-life situation. As for the 'cheaters', if someone really wants to, you're not going to stop them. This will happen if the program is 'open' or not!

Dennis

JG52Uther
07-25-2008, 06:59 AM
If Oleg is going to make certain planes such as the Do17 of all things AI then modding cannot come soon enough!

ElAurens
07-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Doomed from the start.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

stalkervision
07-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by JG52Uther:
If Oleg is going to make certain planes such as the Do17 of all things AI then modding cannot come soon enough!

I can't believe it is Ai only! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Airmail109
07-25-2008, 07:31 PM
boobies are needed in here

Tab_Flettner
07-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Ya, and no "doomed" boobies, either.

heywooood
07-25-2008, 07:54 PM
boomed doobies?

Tab_Flettner
07-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Exactly.

slipBall
07-26-2008, 03:13 AM
What, if any, effect will the work being done at AAA and displayed here have on 1C:Maddox's views of modding for the SoW series?

We know that Oleg enjoy's fair, equal, on-line play. He has to wonder if SOW will be hacked over nite upon release. He may be saying to himself, is it even worth all of the work. Is it possible to restrict only certain areas to modding, I would quess not.

JG52Uther
07-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Oleg has already said that SoW will be moddable.If you don't like mods,you best keep away from the whole series.

DuxCorvan
07-26-2008, 09:10 AM
IIRC, Oleg stated that SoW will be partially mod-friendly but mainly for the offline side. Online 3rd party mods would have to be approved and included into the hard-coded part of game by the official team, so everyone has the same.

I'm afraid that given the precedent that hacking hard code seems to be OK, Oleg barriers between the mod-allowing part and the protected one will be soon superseded by those who won't abide by his rules.

Sorry, but that's what happens when the all-is-valid-if-is-cool philosophy gets a massive nod by an ever unsatisfied community.

ElAurens
07-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Well, we can only hope that the offline mod ability will be enough to placate those who mod simply for the h311 of it. Hopefully the ability to have their work submitted for official approval by the developer will be an inducement to stay on the up and up as well.

And also we must hope that the new engine will be sufficiently robust to preclude hacking the online side for several years.