PDA

View Full Version : At one sight, the materials the Il-2 is made of ....

Engadin
01-24-2010, 02:13 PM
.... so you can aim your guns at the best place:

http://euromodelismo.com/shop/images/em203.png

I am quite amazed russians managed to use so many metalic components in so many parts of the plane and get it flying. Naturally, this explains many things related with it combat endurance and speed.

Engadin.

DKoor
01-24-2010, 04:26 PM
The best place to aim on IL-2 are its wingtips and radiator.

M_Gunz
01-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Find the wing loading and cease to be amazed, pilot armor was titanium alloy and that plane carried heavy
loads in ammo and ordnance as well as extra crew and weapon on most models. It was also not so fast but
you can't have everything!

Romanator21
01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
I always wanted to make a bare Il-2, Mig-3, LaGG-3, or Yak-1. Lots of different elements in the construction http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Engadin
01-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
Find the wing loading and cease to be amazed, pilot armor was titanium alloy and that plane carried heavy
loads in ammo and ordnance as well as extra crew and weapon on most models. It was also not so fast but

As always you're right M_Gunz, but a question arises, for me at least: why the horizontal stabilizers on the tail and not the vertical fin? My answer would be this: 'because you can fly, more or less positively, without the fin but never stabilizers-less. Am I right?

Nice tip DKoor. I wanted, a long time ago I must say, to do the same with a 109, Romanator. Never is too late.

thefruitbat
01-25-2010, 09:50 AM
don't forget, the wood used isn't just any wood, its deltawood http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

wolf-striked
01-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Ahh memorys of Delta wood pop up. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

This wood is from Russia and its much stronger than other world wood....be sure!

Crazy_Goanna
01-25-2010, 02:43 PM
What is delta wood constructed from
(apart from wood - so no obvious humour attempts)

idonno
01-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Engadin:
...why the horizontal stabilizers on the tail and not the vertical fin? My answer would be this: 'because you can fly, more or less positively, without the fin but never stabilizers-less. Am I right?

In-game that's true, but not in real life. A real airplane would quickly end up plummeting to earth if it lost its vertical stabilizer. It's there for a reason.

Also, I wouldn't spend too much time researching aircraft construction to figure out where to aim. IL2's DM isn't that detailed, and sometimes not too accurate either.

DKoor
01-25-2010, 03:46 PM
In case you are attacking Ai, this info is worth GOLD.
And not only for IL-2, that goes for almost all (haven't found any that it doesn't work with) attack airplanes in game.

Concentrate your fire at wingtip, or if that is too hard for you to hit then just concentrate on aileron the more towards the wingtip - the better.

I found one ammo Bf-109F2 load enough to down more than 6 IL-2's.
Firing only 2x7,62 and not 15mm cannon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif . That is the magnitude of the tactics effectiveness.

Another example.
You fly Zero, say A6M5 (vanilla), and you fired all your cannon ammo but there are 3 Wildcats left.
No problem.
Close in on them, with your conv set under 200m, and just shoot at wingtip (harder solution) or inner part of the wing (easier solution).
They will all quickly go down in spirals.

ytareh
01-25-2010, 04:49 PM
It helps to know where bombers wing tanks are to set them on fire ...easy to find in He111(near wing root ) and B17(further out) for sure ...

M_Gunz
01-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Engadin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:

As always you're right M_Gunz, but a question arises, for me at least: why the horizontal stabilizers on the tail and not the vertical fin? My answer would be this: 'because you can fly, more or less positively, without the fin but never stabilizers-less. Am I right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's stronger that way. Mounting the stab up on the fin requires that the stab forces are held by that fin, a lever
arm held on the tail rather than directly on the tail structure itself. They do put stabs on tails on some planes
but those need more more structure (weight) to deal with the stress and AFAICT the payoff is in getting the stab
out of air flow from the wings at really high speed.

It is easier to hold and move a weight on a stick by the weighted end rather than by the other end, no?

M_Gunz
01-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Crazy_Goanna:
What is delta wood constructed from
(apart from wood - so no obvious humour attempts)

It is a plywood that has a plastic of some kind injected at high temperature and pressure (2000 psi IIRC).
Delta wood is heavy stuff btw.

Telling point to me is that it is not known to be used later into modern times. We have started to go
further into the age of composites and yet this stuff is not being used let alone sold on the market.

p1ngu666
01-26-2010, 01:41 AM
there are some nakid skins about actully, or certainly used tobe....

the IL2 and most other russian aircraft where very much products designed for where, and who they where made by, and the conditions of the time aswell.

was a case of build as many of them as you can, with as little as you can, as quickly as you can, or uncle joe will kill ya.

M_Gunz
01-26-2010, 04:06 AM
There was at least one Russian factory manager who did substitute cheaper materials in making LaGGs.
He was taken out and shot.

Wildnoob
01-26-2010, 06:19 AM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/2096/il2s.jpg

As we can see, in 1943 all-metal wings production was resumed.