PDA

View Full Version : A legitimate question for Oleg......Where's Autumn?Where's high Summer?

jamesdietz
11-20-2005, 10:25 AM
After countless hours flying over the many maps in this wonderful game I have to ask ...where's Autumn?I mean we have a terrific Winter( everything is white)& a not bad Spring( everything is green) but where are the reds & browns of Fall,or for that matter the yellows of summer( you know wheat fields ready for harvest on the Ukraine steppe..)The Mountain map is about the only place where one can find snow in patches indicating early Spring perhaps ,but no campaigns are ever fought there( I assume its a pretty small map...)but it would be great if there are new maps of areas ( even areas we now have ) if thee could be more variety in the landscape colors we fly over...Possible ...or have I just missed something?

jamesdietz
11-20-2005, 10:25 AM
After countless hours flying over the many maps in this wonderful game I have to ask ...where's Autumn?I mean we have a terrific Winter( everything is white)& a not bad Spring( everything is green) but where are the reds & browns of Fall,or for that matter the yellows of summer( you know wheat fields ready for harvest on the Ukraine steppe..)The Mountain map is about the only place where one can find snow in patches indicating early Spring perhaps ,but no campaigns are ever fought there( I assume its a pretty small map...)but it would be great if there are new maps of areas ( even areas we now have ) if thee could be more variety in the landscape colors we fly over...Possible ...or have I just missed something?

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Kurland is an autumn map, I believe.

crazyivan1970
11-20-2005, 05:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Low_Flyer_MkII:
Kurland is an autumn map, I believe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct.

Professor_06
11-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Why just limit it to "one season missing."

1. incorrect elevation
2. incorrect/missing landmarks
3 missing terrain
4. missing loacal or indiginious vegetation
5. too much algea in the sea
6. wrong sky color
7. rivers are ??????.
8 etc etc etc

I could go on for a several pages.

These maps for the IL2 series are just showing their age. The maps were really well done to give good low flying level detail for low end/mid end computers, a few years back.

I know that you cant really have a tremendous amount of computer resources decicated to "map" detail and map objects in a combat sim unless you have a very very high end puter. So thier is a nice balance in the sim.

The only sim IMO, that you can get decent scenery is MS2004 with proper scenery addons. You need an XP OS to get fall and spring seasons with most the scenery addon. I dont know why. I have about 20 gigs of scenery addons for MS2004. really beautiful stuff. opinions differ.

jamesdietz
11-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Well, if you are going to be picky....Yes I agree with you IL-2a big advance over other previous sims...imagine rolling hills , mountains & trees!? Yes its been awhile since there has been a big improvement, but it still works pretty well..I guess I really just want more color change for different seasons & I'd be happy...I'm delighted with the Kurland map when it shows up in campaigns even tho its not really my idea of Fall, but not to have rolling wheat fields for the Russian Steppes well that's a bit hard to understand.
Re:CFS3(orMS20004 less so,)seems to take an enormous amount of dedication to get everything looking great ( new aircraft,cockpits,weather,landscape etc)with free & pay for add-ons,that it is difficult to wean ( ween?) oneself away from the beauty of FB just as it stands or with he Third Person add-ons who have taken what Oleg's guys have done & added to same,I just can't seem to gather much enthusiasm for the change( not to mention programming new buttons for everything...)I did get BoB Wings of Victory & it too requires alot of loyalty to get it running & "pretty" with the various downloads necessary...
I guess I can soldier on with about a thousand different campaigns in FB/PF to go until the premier of Battle of Britain from Oleg whenever....

LEBillfish
11-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Actually..........This was an awesome feature of Red Baron 3d.......4 seasons and player made patches like Promised land were quite impressive (like mud and tire tracks in the snow).....

Don't think we'll be seeing it here.

LEXX_Luthor
11-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Kurland map is a very dark terrain map, for some reason, the Kurland terrain appears in very low light levels, about 1/2 the brightness of other FB Euro maps. And then the official FB airfields are placed only inside the Online Dogfight Box. Kurland is saved by the fact we can create our own airfields now with invisible Test Runway 4. What Oleg needs to do is create a vast array of Test Runway 3 textures...coral (Midway), volanic (Iwo), summer dirt, desert sand, spring mud, and winter snow, as well as the steel mat texture. Why just that one texture for Test Runways?

Need more focus on textures and much larger map sizes, and less emphasis on little Building Objects that cripple performance...500,000 of them [[on some maps]].

YoMommaBinladen
11-28-2005, 05:26 PM
this is a continuation of the logic that if you saw it in one game, it can easily be added to another without any hit to performance or frame rates. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice, just that in the scheme of things, lacking a flyable B17 or Lancaster or even a PE-8, it would be nice to see folks using the graphics we already have on the maps to their capabilities rather than simply whining for what can only run in prefect mode on a supercomputer! Try adding search lights, more AI bombers, a thunderstorm or at least something other than 12:00 noon. Dated look you say? Obviosly we haven't been playing the same game!