PDA

View Full Version : How hard should I be pulling the stick?

Afromike1
01-26-2009, 07:08 AM
I always want to maintain my air speed but I have to sacrifice it if I ever want to stay behind the enemy`s tail.

What I do is I just barely move my stick in order to maintain good speed but then I create too big of a gap and then I loose my advantage.

What is a good indication if your are pulling on the stick just right? I noticed that when I pull too hard there are these white streams on the tip of my wings. Is any turn without the white streams a good sign of a good pull?

Afromike1
01-26-2009, 07:08 AM
I always want to maintain my air speed but I have to sacrifice it if I ever want to stay behind the enemy`s tail.

What I do is I just barely move my stick in order to maintain good speed but then I create too big of a gap and then I loose my advantage.

What is a good indication if your are pulling on the stick just right? I noticed that when I pull too hard there are these white streams on the tip of my wings. Is any turn without the white streams a good sign of a good pull?

gorkyporky
01-26-2009, 08:11 AM
well it depends, if you are going one on one, you only have to worry about one enemy, so once you are behind him you might as well just stick with him. Of course, that is if you have a TnB fighter,or at least a fighter with pretty much the same turning characteristics (or better). If your turning preformance is worse than the enemies for a substantial amount, you should just keep your speed up.
In a furball you should always keep your speed up and dont fixate on one target. That makes you loose speed and makes you a sitting duck for others.
Anyway, turn if you are not in a furbal and in a good turning plane. Dont be that guy who goes into a turning battle with a p-51.

rnzoli
01-26-2009, 11:33 AM
well, if you have force feedback, normally the onset of small vibration/shaking would be telling you that you are losing more kinetic energy in the turn than your engine can develop

erco415
01-26-2009, 11:58 AM
How hard should you pull?

As little, as lightly, as possible.

I know that's not much of an answer, it's more of a guideline, a goal. Experiment with using the vertical to retain energy and maintain position. Barrel rolls can be used to give the same effect as turning without the energy loss.

When you see the 'streamers' coming off the wingtips, you're cashing in your chips. Be sure that it's time for that; ie 1)You're going to die if you don't, or 2)You will for sure be killing the guy, and no one can make you pay for the loss of E. Or in a position where you can refill the E-meter easily.

Good Hunting!

squareusr
01-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Ideally, you'd select the perfect course early on, that's the one that puts you into firing position in a straight line.

So much for theory. I can't help you putting this theory into practical use, as i keep failing at this myself http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

M_Gunz
01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Spend time practicing just flying with thumb and forefinger only on the stick.
You'll need more to use the trigger later but at least you'll have a good idea of how much.

One biggie I learned in 98 after getting a "real" joystick is to not rest the weight of my hand and arm on the stick.
That is a root problem and takes conscious effort to break the habit.
You will be able to make much finer adjustments when you're only moving the stick.

Afromike1
01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
One biggie I learned in 98 after getting a "real" joystick is to not rest the weight of my hand and arm on the stick.
You will be able to make much finer adjustments when you're only moving the stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH MY GOODNESS! I cant beleive how much my flying improved because I stopped resting my hand on the joystick! When you have your hand rested you have the tendency to only use your wrist, not your entire arm. You are also more "alert" and can judge your movements more accordingly.

Thank you for this tip!

Treetop64
01-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Dood, reading some of these discussion titles can deliver a good laugh! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

WTE_Galway
01-26-2009, 08:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:
Dood, reading some of these discussion titles can deliver a good laugh! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah ... i am not 100% sure its age appropriate.

M_Gunz
01-27-2009, 01:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Afromike1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
You will be able to make much finer adjustments when you're only moving the stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH MY GOODNESS! I cant beleive how much my flying improved because I stopped resting my hand on the joystick! When you have your hand rested you have the tendency to only use your wrist, not your entire arm. You are also more "alert" and can judge your movements more accordingly.

Thank you for this tip! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're not just being sarcastic... it made a real difference to me but it's hard to keep up after a long time, 30 minutes
and less even. I'd keep catching myself resting on the stick. With the Logitech I'd even hear plastic rubbing. Prior to
RB2 I had a $17 in 1991 CH products box with a really short stick (neat and precise gymbal though) with 2 buttons and then I
got a Sidewinder 3D but not the Pro which I tried and were cheaper production models. That was the first stick I had with a
molded handle, hence the ability to rest hand and arm on the sucker.

The difference is big but it can be very tiring and not easy to notice once immersed in a chase. It's really not easy for long
periods.

One of the Wingwalkers got me onto using thumb and finger (two fingers with twisty stick) light control for learning just how
the FM is (was, back in late 2001) and energy-saving maneuvers. You can actually move the thing to the stops and can push the
plane past the edges into stall that way, just in a more precise way and knowing it, LOL!

I wonder if it's not a problem with full size stick like the kind Fehler made? IRL at multiple G's they'd be holding on pretty
hard wouldn't they?

K_Freddie
01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
If you're sure of getting in a shot, pull as much as you can, short of stalling.
If the other plane is outturning you, go vertical with speed, and drop down again... and again...etc, until it's time to leave the area. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Woke_Up_Dead
01-27-2009, 01:56 PM

If you're not just being sarcastic... it made a real difference to me but it's hard to keep up after a long time, 30 minutes
and less even. I'd keep catching myself resting on the stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about an arm rest under your elbow behind and to the right of your joystick (if you're right-handed)?

M_Gunz
01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woke_Up_Dead:

and less even. I'd keep catching myself resting on the stick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about an arm rest under your elbow behind and to the right of your joystick (if you're right-handed)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can try, try both ways though, I've used the table before but it's still movement limiting in the fine sense.