PDA

View Full Version : IL2 - some questions

Fawx_082484a
07-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi Guys

I would like to know from some of the more experienced players out there.....

Is the La7 1944 a good plane for a beginer??
I can handle it fine, and in quick, offline missions i can take out enemy planes.

Which is a better plane - Yak or Mig??

I have not done it yet, but want to know. If you are playing on limited ammo and fuel and you land how do you fill up?

Any skinning tips are welcome too.

I want to hear any tip you can think of that will help me fly better!!

SeaNorris
07-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Which is a better plane - Yak or Mig??

If your asking me, I'd say Yak.

Utchoud
07-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Hi,

there was a thread about picking the La-7 by unexperienced pilots lately. The La-7 is an excellent plane and many tactical mistakes that you do will be forgiven (I know that the La-7 is great in terms of energy retention and zoom climb, also the armament is strong). It is probable that you will score more kills with the La-7 as a new pilot, but you will learn slower.

I think any version of the Yak is "better" than any version of the MiG-3. As there hasn't been any development of the MiG-3 since 1942, the late-war Yaks have no equivalent among MiG-3 versions. While the MiG-3 was designed as a high-altitude interceptor, Yakovlev fighters are born for dogfighting. Yaks offer better balance between speed and maneuverability.

Utchoud

VFS-214_Hawk
07-17-2005, 08:33 AM
The best plane for the beginner is the SBD. I am not kidding or trying to be sarcastic. You need to learn how to dogfight. ACM skills are a must. Dont show your ignorance by letting a particular plane be your ticket to success instead of your flying skills. Even the La7 cant kill what it cant hit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Learn how to fight....then any plane can be deadly.

Join a squadron that teaches ACM skills.

HotelBushranger
07-19-2005, 04:58 AM
If you are playing on limited ammo and fuel and you land how do you fill up?

You can't. If you run out of fuel or ammo, head for home, when you hit the deck press Escape and Refly.

And, in my opinion, the best way to learn how to fly is to use medium difficulty planes. By starting with noob planes, people grow a dependency to fly that aircraft, the real easy one, when they are frustrated flying a new type of plane they go back to the easiest, which has good and bad. My first plane was the P-40, I flew it almost exclusively for 2 months.

Friendly_flyer
07-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Fing yourself a plane you like (and stay away from the easyer one) and play an offline campaign. This way you'll learn to fly one type of plane reasonably well under difficult situations.

If you don't care much for the game generated campaigns, you can download one of the many amazing community-made ones. I'll recomend "Fleet Air Arm" for Hurricane by Pyomando for a beginner, it's a short and very entertaing campaign.

P-40, Hurricane, Yaks and early Lavochins are good beginners planes. They are fairly easy to fly without being "├╝ber" planes that makes things too easy.

F19_Ob
07-19-2005, 05:59 AM
The La7 is considered a very good plane by the online community, and have some advantages over the 109 wich often have advantages over allied planes, especially in early war settings.
The La7 is an development from La5FN wich is almost as good.
The yak3 and yak3p are almost as good as the La7 but they feel very different in flying and shooting.
Many consider the yak3 harder because they are not used to the fastfiring machineguns so if not used to it most find themselves without ammo. the yak3p has 3 cannons though.
When used to the ammo it may last for downing 4 fighters without trouble and that should be enough for anyone.
Yak-3 also becomes a bit sluggish in highest speeds so a plane with effective higspeed elevators ,like the fw190 may momentarily outturn it, although the yak soon is on top in turning when the speed decreases again.
The earlier yaks are good in maneuverability and comparable to the 109's in most respects.

There are several allied planes wich are almost as good as Yaks and La's but they usually have some more disadvantages compared to the axis opposition.
La7 and yak3 was considered better than any axis propfighter. With that said an experienced 109 pilot still often win over inexperienced yak or La pilots online.

The mig3 u is faster than contemporary 109's and with two 20mm cannons. with clever tactics one can fight or escape at will like the 109's can do to many allied planes. The early migs are ok but usually don't outmaneuver 109's

LaGG 3 is almost comparable to earliest spits as long as one keeps the energy up because it's slow in accelleration and a 109 can easily outaccellerate it before the Lagg3 reach it top speed.
In real life LaGG3 was a bit underrated and many of it shortcommings was because the production was uneven and often resulted in at one LaGG was different than the other and some examples had horrible performance according to pilots. Many of them were hastily put together and had uneven wings and pilots were forced to wear gloves and protection so they wouldn't cut themselves on sharp edges in the cockpit. some belly landed LaGGs in Finnish territory revealed features like this. Other than that it was not a bad plane.
and the maneuverability was good as long as u kept the speed. Losing speed is the dangerous part.

Regardless of plane it's good to stick to one or a few planes at the biginning.

Find out the limits in your plane versus the most common or probable opposing planes.

Practice to turn hard at slowest speeds and note highest speeds in dive and practice climbs and when at slowest quickly turn your plane down and dive.
These are the highest priorities.
First know your plane and then the opposing one.

When u can turn to the limit (regardless of plane)u can concentrate on deflection shooting practise wich is what I still practise the most in quickmissionbuilder.
If u switch between many planes deflectionshooting will suffer because armament and the maneuverability is different.

If u fly online try to tag along with others. It's good to know there are friendlies close if one gets into trouble.

a few thoughts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif