PDA

View Full Version : Randomisation features in new SH3 commander

Gouldjg
03-28-2006, 05:08 AM
Hi all

I have not visited lately but want to brief you all on a new development in the works.

Jscones the creator of SH3 commander is adding the capability to add randomisation of certain features within the game.

What does this mean?

It means that he can set a randomisation entry for almost all figures connected with the game.
No one game will be the same and it may be possible to reshuffle the numbers mid patrol. As well as add low probability events.

The concept is to add dynamic gameplay in such a way, no other game will be like it.

I am currently setting it up so that everything from the ships, planes and players sub damage will vary in fully plausible ways.

I am also working on random special effects i.e. you do not always get the same effect when you shoot at the same location. A bit like real life.

Along with this, there will be random health points, flooding, floatability etc.

I am aiming at keeping my first work on a even par with realism and gameplay players. That is to say, one day a ship may have a vulnerable component but the next time you play it will not.

I will be very methodical In this process i.e. fuel tanks etc will never be solid as a rock and armour will never be wafer thin etc. However there will be changes in your own damage experiences.

My whole idea is to add good luck and bad luck into the game. You as a captain must make a choice as whether or not to tackle a plane etc. It may pay of today but will be harder the next time. You will never know as the rules will change each time you play.

Work has already begun and is in testing along with Hemisents work on thermal layers and equipment performance changes representing later wear and tear and sabotage.

What is especially good about this is the fact it only requires sh3 commander and one text file which is similar to the zones.cfg i.e. less than a meg but it has immence gameplay changes possible.

If all goes well, I will have versions ready for default sh3 as well as the big mods. I also aim to make it easy for each player to set his own rules.

This would not be possible if it were not for Jscones and his program. I was about to pack this game in but now a new lease of life is around the corner.

Sry for rant but I thought you should be informed and join the wait like me.

What i like about the whole idea is the fact that when something bad happens to someone, we will now just call it a bad day instead of a bad mod, unrealistic, not real enough, too real, etc etc.

VikingGrandad
03-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Sounds great! Randomness will defintely add some much needed surprises into the game, which is rather predictable. Like, I know when I see a C2 or C3 that it's as good as dead and will cost me just one torpedo, becuase they always break in half and sink when I hit them in the right spot. The element of luck is whether or not the torpedo detonates prematurely, which doesn't happen very often.

lecek
03-28-2006, 10:13 AM
The last time I use Sh3 commander, it changed the tonnages of the ships though I didn't ask it to.

I just wanted to tweak the underwater visibility and that is all. (Though I spotted a few other tweaks I would like to try.)

Maybe I just used the mod wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Gouldjg
03-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Not thought about the torpedo as of yet but will look at it soon. Jscones might be able to apply a probabbility aspect to the torp.zon files to simulate short running lenghs etc. I will have to look at reasonable probability rates on this one and consult Jscones.

The C2 and other ships, I am afraid will no longer be that predictable as you, I and others are too used to.

Same goes for the sub damage model.

Lets put it this way, the chance of me and you having the same sub, ships and planes goes well beyond 1 in 100000000000000 chance due to the 100's of randomisation lines.

Depending on where one draws the line between realism and gameplay i.e. the creator me/you/whoever it is. The beta when done, will be based in a middle ground between the two. From then on each person or major mod team can build their own style chaos file.

I/you may decide to place a probability factor that a c2 can infact sink with fist bow hit.

The file will automatically shuffle various numbers so it may be weaker or stronger nexttime you try, it may flood faster or slower, the weight of the flooded part might bring the ship down faster or slower. I just apply the realms of reasonablness and the rest can be considered extraordinary events.

Again this depends on what the randomiser has chosen to be the special effect also and cargo as defined again by the modder.

It may start a fire or explode a hidden room of ammo. Imagination will fly with this I tell you that much is for certain.

We are working on it now. If I posted the beta code on this thread you would see what I mean but it will cheese people off, so it is over at subsim under the modding forum, chaos thread.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

hueywolf123
03-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Sounds really good, will add a new dimension to the 100% realism game play. Pity you can't have compartment fire as well as all the other probable damage - sharply raising CO2 levels, or causing drastic hull damage at depth if not put out within a certain time.
Just a thought, but thanks, guys like yourself and all the other mod-boffins are keeping this game way ahead of the others and are continually adding interest etc
Thanks guys

JScones
03-31-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by lecek:
The last time I use Sh3 commander, it changed the tonnages of the ships though I didn't ask it to.

I just wanted to tweak the underwater visibility and that is all. (Though I spotted a few other tweaks I would like to try.)

Maybe I just used the mod wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
If you read the SH3Cmdr Help.html file you will learn how to change certain features or remove them altogether. You have total control over what changes SH3Cmdr makes. You can also read the individual text files under the \Cfg folder for more information.