PDA

View Full Version : New Nvidia Drivers don't really change a fat lot to stuttering.

Michaeljcox24
04-30-2011, 02:24 AM
Well, being as the beta 270 is now official, I installed these this morning. To cut a long story short, they don't really make any change to the fps you get in the game. This was from a full driver clean in safemode, so there was absolutely no interference from any other file.

However, one thing that might help those suffering from stutter / lag is forcing vsync, and then changing the refresh rate IN GAME to whatever your monitor is -10HZ.

The native refresh rate on mine is 60Hz, but I've found if I lock vsync on, and set the game at 1920 x 1080 50Hz, the drops and stutter from 60 go away (naturally the game forces itself to run at a lower fps).

And this is with everything maxed out bar AA, which even at 2x, gives a noticable hit.

The bottom line is this game doesn't utilise GPU as much as others do, which is why people are complaining they can run crysis 2 etc and get much better performance. I dropped the clock on my 470 down to stock, and there was no noticable difference in fps.

When I dropped the overclock on my Q9650 down from 4.1 to it's stock of 3Ghz, the difference was staggering.

You need a beast of a machine to make this playable at max settings at high res. Even more so if you enable AA

I hope they improve GPU usage for AC3.

KingDaniel0
04-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Michaeljcox24:

However, one thing that might help those suffering from stutter / lag is forcing vsync, and then changing the refresh rate IN GAME to whatever your monitor is -10HZ.

The native refresh rate on mine is 60Hz, but I've found if I lock vsync on, and set the game at 1920 x 1080 50Hz, the drops and stutter from 60 go away (naturally the game forces itself to run at a lower fps).

Yes, sometimes forcing VSync helps overcome some minor in-game stutter. I think I already told you guys to try this before:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...519/m/4541019919/p/1 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5031067519/m/4541019919/p/1)

"As a side note, what happens if you enable and Force VSYNC to ON, both under GPU's Control Panel and in-game options ? Does it reduce any kind of micro-stutter ? But try to use this along with 'Triple Buffering', via any tool like RivaTuner".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michaeljcox24
04-30-2011, 05:00 AM
VSync @ 50Hz is alot smoother than vSync 60Hz though mate. A steady 50fps is what my machine can manage, but it massively outclasses what is on the back of the box for rec specs.

KingDaniel0
04-30-2011, 05:31 AM
VSync @ 50Hz is alot smoother than vSync 60Hz though mate. A steady 50fps is what my machine can manage, but it massively outclasses what is on the back of the box for rec specs.

Ok, but if you are forcing VSYNC, then have you tried using it along with 'Triple Buffering', via RIVATUNER or DXTweaker ?

Actually if VSync is ON, then it should be used along with Triple Buffering. This should be done for better overall performance. If VSync is ON, then the Video card sometimes becomes a Slave to your Monitor, thus enabling VSync 'sometimes' usually ends up reducing your overall gaming FPS. So for this we need to enable Triple Buffering......

DXTweaker:
http://www.techpowerup.com/dow...XTweaker_2005.1.html (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/247/DXTweaker_2005.1.html)

However, PunkBuster may detect DXTweaker as a hack, so be careful when you are playing online games/MP. Also avoid forcing 'Triple Buffering' under NVidia's Control Panel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michaeljcox24
04-30-2011, 01:08 PM
That software was last updated in 2006 (five years ago)

Doesn't even support Windows 7 apparently. When I run it, it's just a black window with no text.

KingDaniel0
04-30-2011, 02:11 PM
That software was last updated in 2006 (five years ago)

Doesn't even support Windows 7 apparently. When I run it, it's just a black window with no text.

The Tool works fine even under WIN 7 and VISTA. I checked it again at my end, by playing 2 games, and it works fine. Run it as an ADMIN, if needed. It requires .NET framework 1.1. to function, but Win 7 already contains this package.

Don't worry about the version update, as the Tool does not require more additions. It's a bit complicated to use though, because you have to tick the Present Changer box under the 'Modules to Load' heading, and set the Count box to 2. And then you have to launch the Game's .exe by clicking on the START button...

Try using RivaTuner instead:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

After installing, go to the location where the tool has been set e.g. 'C:\Program Files\RivaTuner\Tools\D3DOverrider, and just click on the D3DOverrider.exe utility. Now, this utility will simply be active in your system tray whenever it is launched, and any Direct3D game you play/launch will automatically have Triple Buffering enabled.

But make sure the 'Active Profile' is set to Global.

Michaeljcox24
04-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Honestly mate, it doesn't work on my machine. Even when I run it as administator, or for that matter in Windows XP compatability mode.

Using triple buffering in the control panel does a bit though. Not much, but a bit. Still doesn't get away from the fact that this is a DX9 game, and with a high end DX11 card, it runs like a sack of you know what.

IMRicko
04-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Dude how do you get 50hz monitor option? mine only have 1920 x 1080 at 60hz and 59hz o.O

Michaeljcox24
05-01-2011, 12:15 AM
My monitor supports 50Hz refresh rate mate.

Ilyama Prolite E2710HDSD

KingDaniel0
05-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Honestly mate, it doesn't work on my machine. Even when I run it as administator, or for that matter in Windows XP compatability mode.

Using triple buffering in the control panel does a bit though. Not much, but a bit. Still doesn't get away from the fact that this is a DX9 game, and with a high end DX11 card, it runs like a sack of you know what.

Never mind the DXtweaker, that's why I told u to try RivaTuner. And I think forcing Triple Buffering via the Control panel, only works on OpenGL games.....

Anyways, though I agree with you that we don't need to force VSync, or Lower down the Screen RES just to play a game, that too a DX9 title. The Game should run fine at least on high-end Video Cards and rigs.....

But most of the Console Ports, i.e. new PC games are the same, but not all. The Consolization of the PC has changed the way we used to play games on our Systems way long back......

The following games are more Graphic demanding on the PC, because of the Game's engine and unstable optimization: *Aliens Vs Predator 2010, STALKER: Clear Sky, Metro 2033, Lost Planet* etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michaeljcox24
05-01-2011, 10:24 AM
I haven't played it on the 360, or the PS3 for that matter. I'd be interested to know how it fairs against the PC version. To be honest, I would probably be very annoyed if I found out there was no stutter at all.

Some console ports are better than others. For a large part of last year I was on Just Cause 2, which in some areas is absolutely stunning graphically, and has what I would call the best CUDA simulated water effects I have ever seen on a PC. Even the latest NVidia drivers are still pushing fps out of that game, and it came out last year.

Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands (another Ubi title) runs flawlessly on my machine. It's just a shame this doesn't mirror it's performance.

NightmareGK13
05-01-2011, 05:38 PM
no they don't in fact i had to revert back to 260.99 because it screwed up photoshop

justinpunny
05-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by NightmareGK13:
no they don't in fact i had to revert back to 260.99 because it screwed up photoshop

Photoshop ? I can't say about this issue, but NEW drivers be it from ATI or NVidia, are not always necessary to update and download, in my opinion.

Usually some new Driver versions have some previous Bug fixes, and some added Support for the NEW and latest Video cards, and some additional minor fixes, so it may or may not help us if we update the drivers, for all games that is..

Though some new driver versions do have performance improvement for some Games. But sometimes reverting back to an older stable version of drivers helps, rather than updating !

Michaeljcox24
05-02-2011, 10:02 AM
There were reports that installing the new 270 drivers beta improved the stuttering problem. After installing them myself, I cannot but assume that the people who saw an improvement, already had corrupt driver installations and installing a beta just cleaned things up a bit.

The only thing addressed in the new driver is the 3D Vision support for Brotherhood. I've tried it before, and it halves the max fps you can get out of a game. God only knows how low the fps would get for ACB.

KingDaniel0
05-04-2011, 05:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@All,

Can you give this Method/trick a Try, if possible, and if the Game does not Crash ?

Try to rename ACBSP.exe to AssassinsCreedIIGame.exe, and then try to Play Brotherhood with this EXE, if possible. But before making those changes, do make a BACKUP of any file........

OR, try to select AC2's Profile under Nvidia or ATI's Control Panel. Select AC2's profile, or create a profile for AC2 by selecting 'AssassinsCreedIIGame.exe', and then try to play Brotherhood with this Profile. Just see if doing all this, gives any in-game performance gain or not ?

As a side note, I was just reading this Benchmark review, and it looks like XP OS still performs better, and at par with Windows 7 !

http://newtipsandtricks.com/as...-windows-7-benchmark (http://newtipsandtricks.com/assassins-creed-brotherhood-windows-xp-vs-windows-7-benchmark)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------