PDA

View Full Version : Catching up with AI?

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Hey guys...

Anyone got any tips on catching up with the AI planes in Campaign missions? No matter what I do, I always drop behind and can't catch them up! I must be doing something slightly wrong, because if I put autopilot on, it doesn't take long for it to catch them at all!

Thanks

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Hey guys...

Anyone got any tips on catching up with the AI planes in Campaign missions? No matter what I do, I always drop behind and can't catch them up! I must be doing something slightly wrong, because if I put autopilot on, it doesn't take long for it to catch them at all!

Thanks

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 02:45 PM
trim your aircraft nose down, trim changes for any given throttle setting so you have to experiment.

Tedious unoriginal philosophical statement the pith of which is lost in repetition.

http://allanhall.ic24.net/SmallPunkGrey.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 02:46 PM
The AI can go on max power all day without overheating. Just another one of the side-effects of their relaxed FM.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Also attain maximum possible speed on take off, dont use flaps and keep the wheels down on runway.

I manage in excess of 230Kmh in most ac doing this, then stay low as you continue to accelerate and then gently climb towards way points.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 05:36 PM
ah.. ok. Thanks for the tips! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I was about in the right area with the trimming etc.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Climb as gently as you can, use the trim for a gradual cruise climb. I'm talking about such a slight climb
that you'll be able to attain close to top speed. I can fly anything plane and catch up to the rest of the flight before reaching target, but it can be a challenge even for me in some planes. One trick I use is to take off as soon as I can behind the plane in front of me, maybe even before the dust settles, then keep the nose down and stay ow to get as much speed build up as possible. Depending on the plane, only go above 100% for short periods, then slow back down to 100%. A trick in the P-40 is to actually climb at only about 85 or 90% power, since it goes almost as fast but without the constant overheats. There is a trick for just about every plane, and I can't get to them all or I'll spend all day writing this. Then my wife would go to jail for fatally wounding me. Just try different things in different planes.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755