PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been trapped underwater by Trawlers?

lionheart112
06-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Hey gang,

Has anyone encountered the armed merchant marine trawlers when going north east through the english channel to Denmark waters?

I am stuck at 1X speed, unable to get away from them nor torpedo them and they keep circling me. Whats worse is the waters are shallow and my boat is the ole Canoe series, IID, (arrghhh).

Any suggestions? In the old versions of SH, you had to 4X in combat 'proximity', but here I have only 1X time speed.... hmmmmmmm.........

Bill

Gunther_Prien27
06-12-2005, 06:21 PM
My suggestion: Surface and run like hell. Usually merchant ships are not that heavily armed. Maybe you'll make it out with a scratch.

Taifu_Noodle
06-12-2005, 06:42 PM
I don't know what depth you are at, but you might be stuck a 1X time speed because you are very close to the sea bed.

Try crawling away a periscope depth, silent running at 2knots.

I have done similar in the past and got away.

Hope that helps. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Sawdust99
06-12-2005, 06:42 PM
I agree with the previous poster said. Another thing to try is to shoot at the trawlers with your flak gun. You may not be able to sink them, but you may be able to disable their guns.

Trydan
06-13-2005, 02:25 AM
Does a Typ-II U-Boot have any guns? I thought not. Compare your max speed to theirs using your recognition book, before you try outrunning them on the surface though. Also, if you want to take a real risk, I believe it is possible to alter the maximum time-compression for certain situations. Take care though. That means that a destroyer can find and sink you before you blink!

W.Irving
06-13-2005, 03:08 AM
Good luck with outrunning anything else than a tug boat in a Type II! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
And no, the IID doesn't have a deck gun.

So do what a sub does best - go slow + silent.

cueceleches
06-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Just keep submerged and engines stopped and let´em pass by or head the opposite direction in order to loose them as quickly as possible...Or, if the marchant is a small one, try ramming! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TheRealWulfmann
06-13-2005, 08:37 AM
A direct hit from an armed trawler can sink you. It is unlikley you will win a gun duel unless at long range in a TypeVII.
It is because you are too shallow you have the 1X. Move away from land into deeper water staying silent and he will go away. His one gun is the same as carried by destroyers and armed merchant cruisers so should not be taken lightly.
War, however, is about risk management. I have torpedoed them before but kind of a waste of a fish if you can escape and small target at that.
Wulfmann

Dominicrigg
06-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Cool, i normally dont have problems with trawlers. They are usually bad at detecting if you move away slowly and get some depth.

Nukem_Hicks
06-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
Cool, i normally dont have problems with trawlers. They are usually bad at detecting if you move away slowly and get some depth.

There's another wonderful bug in the game that gives some armed trawlers early in the war uber-detection skills. Basically, I was sailing away at 100m in my VIIB on silent running, slow speed and these three trawlers kept circling my position. Later, in 1943, armed with elite crews and asdic, most DDs aren't able to repeat that feat. The poster may be suffering from this problem.