PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a 'mod-enabler' before modding SH3?

tiger_tim_34
05-08-2005, 03:01 AM
Apologies if this is a really stupid question. Many mods appear to be 'ready to go', but I have read of several miserable modding experiences, so I just wanted to be sure.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated, shipmates.

tiger_tim_34
05-08-2005, 03:01 AM
Apologies if this is a really stupid question. Many mods appear to be 'ready to go', but I have read of several miserable modding experiences, so I just wanted to be sure.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated, shipmates.

dagamecat
05-08-2005, 04:40 AM
you don't need one, but I thoroughly recommend you use one, because it'll come in mighty handy when the next official patch comes out.

I use the Jonesoft one, available on Beery's site, here (http://www.beerymod.com/sh3.htm)

works very well indeed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

tiger_tim_34
05-08-2005, 05:35 AM
Many thanks for that tip, Dagamecat. Sounds like advice born out of experience!

One final question: There are now zillions of mods out there (I've downloaded virtually every one on the Subsim SH3 page) BUT... some of these appear to duplicate one another. For example, Aliand's (spelling??) enhanced instrumentation and Beery's Real U-boat 1.22 which includes the same. How does the novice modder know which is a 'mod too far'?

Cheers again!

dagamecat
05-08-2005, 05:48 AM
no worries.

yea you're right, this can be a bit of a problem. Though if you use that mod enabler, it tells you when mods are "conflicting", ie. if two mods are altering the same files. But the mod enabler works so well at disabling mods that it's not a problem at all to experiment, enable what mods you want, disable the ones you dont.

I use the Real U-boat 1.22 mod, Ail's particle mod, and Wazoo's Nomograph mod, aswell as a mod I made to the commands.cfg file. Works beautifully.

I'd recommend just trying the Real U-boat mod to start off with, cos it contains tons of little tweaks to graphics and sounds, then if you dont like them, install another mod over the top of it.